Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Chemistry addition vs water level

1. Back To Top    #1

Chemistry addition vs water level

The sun is shining and my pool is open in northwest Indiana!
    We closed late and have opened early. Water looks pretty much perfect.

My sweet spot for the water level is the second screw head up from the bottom on the skimmer mouth. The skimmer will take in water 2" below and almost 2" above that point but that's the magic spot I settled on.
    My question is this..... Since I set my "gallons" to be 17,100 (27' X 46") in pool math, what affect does less or more water make to the health of the water? Those 2 inches amount to several hundred gallons. When it comes to gallons in Pool Math, I usually set it and forget it.
    (I do manage the water in the pool, but not usually until it gets to either extreme).

Edit......For whatever reason I had been using 17,100. But 27'x46" is actually 16,500.
    Aqua Leader 27' (54") 17,100 gallon, Hayward SW 256T sand filter, Hayward 2 hp 2-speed pump, water testing with a TF-100.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Chemistry addition vs water level

Just calculate your gallons to the height you keep your water level at. Only one that matters! Either add or subtract those several hundred gallons when you calculate additives.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

Ok, maybe a better question....how often do you add water to your pool, even if the water level is appropriate for the skimmer level, but NOT the calculation you entered into pool math?
    Aqua Leader 27' (54") 17,100 gallon, Hayward SW 256T sand filter, Hayward 2 hp 2-speed pump, water testing with a TF-100.

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

Even a 1000 gallon swing should only change your bleach additions by an ounce or so, when I was manually adding I am sure I was +/- a couple of ounces each time as I was not using a measuring cup just graduated approximations on my bleach bottle. I don't think you will have a problem, I should however admit I have an auto fill.
    12,300 Gallon, IG PebbleFina, 3 ft sheer, 2 Jandy nicheless LED lights, Jandy Pro 1.5HP VS pump (A.O. Smith Motor), PB4-60 Booster pump, Polaris 280, Jandy cv340 cartridge filter, Zodiac Z4 control panel W/iAquaLink, Stenner pumps for chlorine & MA connected to WiOn WiFi switches, TF-100. You can support TFP with AmazonSmile just click the link!

5. Back To Top    #5

Yep, you're pretty much into the range of insignificance there.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

6. Back To Top    #6

Copy copy....many thanks

7. Back To Top    #7

We're talking parts per MILLION in 10's of thousands of gallons. A couple hundred gallons isn't going ti make a difference at all.