Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Need advise--pool coping & stamp colored

1. Back To Top    #1

Need advise--pool coping & stamp colored

We are getting close! Concrete starts Monday. We are interested in doing a stamped concrete around our pool and decking (a simple stamp--like a fractured slate pattern). We do NOT want any sealer, so it it wont be slick etc...I know that changes the look a bit, but we're going for low maintenance and low injury

We are doing an auto cover, it's a flush mount, so it will sit in the concrete and it will be gray. We have travertine type waterline line tiles and it runs up on a raised bond beam--lots of variation. I'm thinking of doing the stamped border, a little darker, and then a broom finish deck--or maybe opposite?? I'd love to see what you've done--if you selected anything like this. Should we do all one color? Should we do a lighter or darker border? Did you do something similar and you love it--or would you change something? I'd love your input!
    IG gunite pool (no spa), white plaster/blue quartz Size: 18x32, 3 waterfalls, rectangle, Coverstar autocover (mocha) with flush mount/walk on lid. Equipment: Pentair Quad DE filter, Pentair VS pump (1), Easytouch 8, 2 Pentair Intellibright (color)
    Owner build--my build currently in progress FINISHED!--Started Jan 11, 2017--Finished May 5, 2017

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Need advise--pool coping & stamp colored

I've seen numerous poured concrete copings with separate concrete decks. I always think the ones with darker coping look the best. I think that is a very pragmatic approach which will also get you a nice looking end product.
    18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, SWCG, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking | Merlin SmartMesh winter safety cover
    Spring 2013 Build | Dolphin Active 20 robot cleaner | Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

We have done several where the first 2' is darker with a stamped finish, then the rest is just gray broom finish. Like this as it draws your eye to the edge of the pool. Cuts down on trip and falls
    Over 30 years in the pool business
    We build vinyl, fiberglass, stainless steel pools
    Certified in Hydraulics

4. Back To Top    #4

Yes, this is what the concrete guy recommended too--I think it will look nice. I'm wondering if the rest of the deck in the stamp, and lighter finish would look nice or if it would be a bit much. I always overthink! haha!!

Quote Originally Posted by swimcmp View Post
    We have done several where the first 2' is darker with a stamped finish, then the rest is just gray broom finish. Like this as it draws your eye to the edge of the pool. Cuts down on trip and falls
    IG gunite pool (no spa), white plaster/blue quartz Size: 18x32, 3 waterfalls, rectangle, Coverstar autocover (mocha) with flush mount/walk on lid. Equipment: Pentair Quad DE filter, Pentair VS pump (1), Easytouch 8, 2 Pentair Intellibright (color)
    Owner build--my build currently in progress FINISHED!--Started Jan 11, 2017--Finished May 5, 2017