Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Skimmer Leak and Suction Side Vacuum

1. Back To Top    #1

Skimmer Leak and Suction Side Vacuum

I had a leak detection company tell me that I had a leak at the skimmer pipe connection (somewhere at the the pipe thread connection) and he tried to fix it with some two part epoxy. We'll see if it holds. He told me to stop using my suction side vacuum at the skimmer connection because it will just aggravate the problem. I don't disagree with him. However, I'd still like to use my vacuum. Since my pool equipment is located very close to my pool, would there be anything wrong with putting a tee and valve off one of my pump suction lines and use a flex hose direct from the pump to my vacuum? Any other ideas / suggestions?

Thanks
    Dennis
    St, Augustine, FL / Covered Screen Enclosure
    1982 IG plaster/pebble - 18K gallon city water, Hayward C900 Cartridge Filter, Single Speed Pump 1.5hp
    Testing with TFT-100, Treated with Liquid Chlorine, Muriatic Acid, and Baking Soda

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Skimmer Leak and Suction Side Vacuum

You maight have to rig a little better connector than flex-hose but your idea is solid. With a little thought it will work.

If it's in the budget. a complete fix requiring no thought at all but rather some significant money is to buy a robot.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Skimmer Leak and Suction Side Vacuum

Thanks for your feedback. What's the downside to the flex hose? Other than it's not a clean solution. Too much pressure loss with the corrugations?
    St, Augustine, FL / Covered Screen Enclosure
    1982 IG plaster/pebble - 18K gallon city water, Hayward C900 Cartridge Filter, Single Speed Pump 1.5hp
    Testing with TFT-100, Treated with Liquid Chlorine, Muriatic Acid, and Baking Soda