Sta-Rite heater, moving from Flue switch to flue sensor (Switch) service heater

Apr 7, 2017
Livermore
[FONT=&quot]So I'm here looking for some help. I've been battling with my heater for over 2 seasons and figured it's time to ask for some help.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Sta Rite heater, with a 42001-0096 Board, this replaced my HD board which was an HD board (don't see the PN on the board). [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Last year or so the heater would not turn on and stated service heater. (the display was pretty much gone, so can't say what the error code was), but I figured it was the Flue switch, because if I disconnected and connected the wires together my heater would work. Problem is that the water temp coming out could sometimes get to almost scolding. So since the Flue switch was broken and my HD board seemed questionable I bought the above mentioned 42001-0096 and I bought a Flue sensor. Installing the flue sensor, netted the same thing, service heater (no errors). But it would not allow the heater to ignite. Again connecting the wires from the board directly together bypassing the sensor allowed the heater to ignite, but again you would have to be careful because the water would be darn hot after a while.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]I've bought 2 flue sensors now because I didn't trust the resistance on the first one, 70 degree temp it was reading 6.5, while the new one read 4.5, figured the first one was bad, but trying to figure out what the resistance should be based on a normal temp seems to escape me.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]So since this is not an HD board, the standard flue sensor (screws in and has 2 wires coming out, vs the switch that was revetted in and worked with my old HD board) should work.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]I'm really trying to figure out what is going on, the parts seem right, this should work and it's not. Can someone tell me how I'm failing to fix this? Where at least 2 of my flaws lie? [/FONT]
icon_smile.gif

[FONT=&quot]Thanks[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Tory[/FONT]

The 0096S board is a HD control board, and you want to use the stack flue sensor. The ohm reading should be 3.5-4 megaohms. The flue sensor measures exhaust heat for proper operation. You say the membrane pad is bad and your not sure what error code is showing up, so you should replace this to get a better idea of what's happening. It sounds like there is a problem with the thermal regulator which allows proper flow through the heater. If you haven't already done so download a manual at Pentair's website, this will help you understand proper operation of heater

The 0096S board is a HD control board, and you want to use the stack flue sensor. The ohm reading should be 3.5-4 megaohms. The flue sensor measures exhaust heat for proper operation. You say the membrane pad is bad and your not sure what error code is showing up, so you should replace this to get a better idea of what's happening. It sounds like there is a problem with the thermal regulator which allows proper flow through the heater. If you haven't already done so download a manual at Pentair's website, this will help you understand proper operation of heater

Thanks for the response. I actually didn't think the 42001-0096 was an HD board. But I did replace the controller and the membrane s-l1600.jpg
So based on the documentation, which I downloaded sometime ago, if this is in fact an HD board, I should be able to configure this to use either a switch or sensor , but for some reason these instructions don't work. I can power on the unit, hold the off button for "ever" and nothing happens "https://www.discountpoolmart.com/images_pdf/42002_0007S/page_3.jpg".

So if these directions are wrong, can you enlighten me, since I seem to be on the same track/path as you.

Thanks again!

Tory

Thanks for the response. I actually didn't think the 42001-0096 was an HD board. But I did replace the controller and the membrane View attachment 59660
So based on the documentation, which I downloaded sometime ago, if this is in fact an HD board, I should be able to configure this to use either a switch or sensor , but for some reason these instructions don't work. I can power on the unit, hold the off button for "ever" and nothing happens "https://www.discountpoolmart.com/images_pdf/42002_0007S/page_3.jpg".

So if these directions are wrong, can you enlighten me, since I seem to be on the same track/path as you.

Thanks again!

Tory

$50 still up for grabs...

Tory

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.