Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Is this PVC?

1. Back To Top    #1

Is this PVC?

I'm re-plumbing the equipment pad of a pool I inherited a few years ago. Pulled up the deck boards to get to more of the piping and found a connection I didn't understand. What I would have assumed was PVC pipe coming from the pool connects to what I know to be PVC pipe heading to the pad, but with steel hose clamps instead of glue.

Is the black pipe PVC? If not what is it? It is hard pipe.

001.jpg

002.jpg
    35k gal IG plaster (25 x 45ft), 3HP Intelliflo FX, Pentair Quad DE 100, Intellichlor IC60 SWG, Polaris 280 w/ PB4 booster pump, Raypak P-R406A

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Is this PVC?

That is most likely polyethylene pipe. No glue will stick to it for any length of time, hence the barb and clamps.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

1. Why would they have used that? (It looks like it is used for the return line and the main drain. The two skimmers are Sch 80 PVC)
    2. Is it bad? Not that I can do anything about it, just want to learn more about it.
    3. When I cut it back and make a new connection to PVC, is replicating the connection that is there now still the best way to do it?
    35k gal IG plaster (25 x 45ft), 3HP Intelliflo FX, Pentair Quad DE 100, Intellichlor IC60 SWG, Polaris 280 w/ PB4 booster pump, Raypak P-R406A

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

What is it used for? That'll help answer some of the questions. Is it pressurized? Is it a drain pipe?

If you are not sure, try a pic that includes what it is hooked up to.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

In the second picture from left to right is Skimmer 1, Main Drain, Skimmer 2, Return to eyeballs. The skimmer pipes transition from PVC 40 to PVC 80 out of frame of the picture. The main drain and the return both use this black pipe with the steel hose clamps.

In the first picture you can see where they all turn 90 up into then the union valves for each that are accessible from the pad.

6. Back To Top    #6

There is nothing wrong with poly pipe. It's very durable and last for a very long time. Most residential wells are plumbed with poly pipe.
    Chuck-
    15x30 AG, Pentair Superflo VS, 19" sand filter, TF-100 test kit
    Aqua Comfort ACT750 heat pump / 6x20 ground mount solar panel / DIY automation

Photos of 2016 Build, Inside Your Breaker Panel, Free Copy of 2017 NEC code
    TFP is AD Free and is funded solely by member support click here to help

7. Back To Top    #7

Polly pipe has issues with the connections rusting out or corroding. But is is better for low temperature applications. Poly will handle freezing and frosts better than PVC. Generally you don't want to run either unprotected above ground like yours are.
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall