Tree fell in Pool

JoanC

Silver Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
May 26, 2012
Rome, GA
I need some help please. My husband said I should ask for help balancing my FT for Fallen Tree. Not too funny when I think of the possible outcome but at least HE's laughing!

Pics are below. I hope they're large enough. I reduced them to post. We had drought last year then lots of rain and storms recently so trees are unstable.

Big pine came down with wind yesterday and landed in pool. Second pine in two weeks to hit pool and pool house. Adjuster hasn't even gotten out here to assess damage from two weeks ago.

This tree is much larger and is going to take more than my husband and me to get it out of pool.

The water seems to be holding, but I fear the liner will tear when someone starts to remove the tree.

The liner could tear before the tree is removed simply with the wind moving the water and the tree within the water. It's still very windy here.

My fears of a tear in the liner and water loss are as follows:

If you look at the photos of the yard/terrain around the pool, there is an embankment to the left of the pool and the yard slopes downhill to the right of the pool.
I took the photos specifically to show you the way the yard slopes.
Please note we have had several inches of rain in north GA the past few days and the ground is saturated.

If we get a large tear/leak in the liner, the weight of approximately 30,000 gallons of water plus the top of that big tree is going to be going with the flow of gravity down a hill in our back yard which is part of a large hill in our neighborhood.

To add to this: One of the reasons the grass in a little greener to the right of the pool is, that's where our septic tank and field lines are :). If there were to be a large tear with removing the tree, the water would flow underground and possibly float the field lines. Exaggerated thinking maybe, but I don't want more problems than we already have.

I think we should veer on the side of caution and drain the pool before trying to remove the tree.
I think we risk a torn liner either way but if we drain the pool before removing the tree we prevent any septic issues IF there is a tear.

Opinions and experience appreciated.

And, do we call a tree service to get a tree out of a pool?

Thank you,
Joan

IMG_3784.jpg

IMG_3807.jpg

IMG_3808.jpg

There's a good chance the liner will be fine. About 10 years ago we too had a tree go for a swim and had no issues. To remove the tree I'd suggest calling the insurance company as often they will cover that fee.

Suppose you'd need a company to bring a crane in and lift it straight up and out. If they are careful, and you're liner didn't rip in the first place, you should be fine.

If you drain, you risk the tree shifting and applying even more pressure to the liner and possibly tearing it.

If you are going the insurance route, do they cover a torn liner replacement? If so, then go ahead and drain to be safe. If something happens, they'll replace your liner anyway.

I too would leave it. It's likely they'll be able to cut it right by the pool and lift that section out by hand. It doesn't look very large. The rest they'll likely cut into sections and haul it off.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'm guessing it means negate insurance coverage. Regardless of what is meant, I agree. Draining water could cause damage to pool and insurance may not like the decision. They look for anything to deny claim.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Wow! That's just terrible situation.

Don't drain the pool! If the liner is ok and not damaged by the tree, it may be just fine..
If you drain the pool though, the liner will come "unseated" and shift around and you will never get the liner back in place.

All of the above is part of my dilemma. Adjuster is coming Easter Sunday morning. Isn't that lovely?

Tree is large contrary to what it may look like in the photos. Not huge but big around and really tall! If you look at it compared to the loungers it crushed, you will see it's pretty big.

There's a huge section down in the pool too which is too heavy to just lift out. My big burly son gave it a try and couldn't budge it. No way to get crane or equipment in without damaging the septic field lines.
I'll ask the adjuster what he recommends. I still have concerns that moving the tree top around will tear the liner. Liner is about 11 years old and got a few patches this past fall. The guy said we would probably need to replace this spring.
A lot to consider with this little adventure.

I just hate looking at it. Water is turning green around that darn tree in my pool :(

Thank you all for the input. I think we're at the mercy of the adjuster on this one. And the tree is staying put till he gets here.

We will let you know how it turns out.

Joan

It's been a while since I checked in or updated this post. Not much has happened really.
It took the adjuster weeks to get out to give his opinion and estimate for work to be done.

I can only say, you gotta love insurance companies. Agent has not returned calls but her assistants did although they didn't know answers very well.
One did tell me if the adjuster was a jerk when he got there to tell him to leave.
Adjuster turned out to be pretty much okay.
The guy who was going to remove the tree baled because he was afraid of damaging the liner upon removing the tree and afraid it would be pinned on him and his insurance.
On to other companies to remove tree, fix the hole in the roof of the pool house, repair the fence, haul off the patio furniture and crushed grill.
In the meantime:
The tree is still in the pool and the pool is a dark green swamp now with mosquitos breeding. I'm going to get mosquito blocks to put in it today.

The two guys that I finally got to come and look at it say the water has to drain down to at least a foot in the shallow haven't gotten back with estimates for me.
One guy said $1000 for the tree when he could still see through the water a little. Don't know now that it's opaque if that will change. We do have snakes in the area.

Question to all of you now:

There's a huge amount of debris, pine cones and tree bark and little pieces of wood from the tree in the pool if you look at the pictures above.
I'm afraid if I put the pump on drain this debris will go through the drain and do damage. One of the tree services said they would use a sump pump to drain it.

I can drain some of the water through the skimmer with no problem. After that I guess the best thing would be to do sump pump only. Is that correct?

I'm also back to thinking the liner will float with level so low in shallow. What a mess!

I don't think I mentioned this: Tree was dead. Belonged to neighbor. We didn't notify neighbor of impending damage due to his dead tree so not his fault that HIS dead tree fell on our property. When HIS dead tree fell on our property it became OUR property is what adjuster told us. ALTHOUGH, IF the claim goes high enough our insurance company may go into subrogation against the neighbor to help with claim. Neighbor has to be notified of dead or dangerous tree by certified letter. ( I have letters to write about more trees)

Anyway, am I right that I cannot drain via the pump due to the tree debris?

If anyone sees something beyond what I have written please expand upon it and share.

I'm exasperated.

Joan

It should be fine to drain through the bottom drain. Nothing should pass the drain grate that can damage the pump. For future reference manually adding bleach to maintain FC at shock level, [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA], and circulating the water a bit with a broom, paddle, sump pump or something might keep the water clear(er). Maybe. :)

If an agp breaks and the water floods your neighbors house, it's their insurance that will be responsible. Kinda screwy but that's how it goes.

They usually subrogate. If successful, they will pay back your deductible. So definitely follow up on the subrogation efforts.

If you lower the water too much your liner will float :( rock and hard place for you. Ask the insurance company if THEY will pay for a new liner if it is damaged now or when the tree comes out. How would they be able to prove it was taking the tree out that caused the damage???

:hug: I have a sad for you.

Kim:kim:

Thanks to all of you for your ideas and input. I feel like anything I write doesn't make sense anymore.
This situation has rocked on for a long time now with several twists to it that were unexpected by us.

We didn't realize it would take weeks for the adjuster to come out and didn't think it would be an issue as to who was at "fault".
And there are limitations on how much policies pay for tree removal- $500. That doesn't go far.

Adjuster said get estimates from at least two sources for the different work to be done and it had to be listed a specific way or would be rejected.
Example:
structure 1 (fence) tree cut up cost
tree removal cost
Structure 2 ( pool) tree cut up cost
tree removal cost
Structure 3 (pool house) tree cut up cost
tree removal cost

This would just be for the tree! Upon their discretion it could be rejected of course.

We also have to get individual estimates for the pool house repair and for the fence repair.

The tree guys are not liking the breaking down of the estimates too well.

I'm getting off track and using all of you for therapy here. Sorry.

I think the situation should not have been so difficult.

Pooldv- I thought about putting in bleach/chlorine but worried that it would settle on the liner and burn it. I'm almost over harming the liner at this point.
I still fear debris going through the bottom drain. I don't have a new drain cover. Old pool with old type drain that I keep turned off when kids swim.
It's pictured in some of my older posts and someone chastised me for not having it covered. I'll post a pic of it again. Do you think it will still be okay with this kind of drain/cover?

Veccster- Adjuster said he's seen insurance company go into subrogation for $10 over principle of the thing and not do it over a $1000. He said one never knows.
We may not know if they go into subrogation is what he told me. ?????

KimKats- Thanks for caring. It's been a booger!! Not knowing what to do is killing me! Adjuster SAID- (when I asked if liner was damaged with removal of the tree-) If we/workers FOUND a limb lodged in the liner and removed it to reveal a large hole that could not be repaired but would require a new liner then get someone out to do estimate of new liner and submit that estimate.
I ask the same question 2 more times! But what IF liner gets torn or damaged dragging that tree top out or with them doing something else? He said- I repeat! And said the same thing over.
He would not answer my question with a yes or no.
This is exactly why one guy wouldn't touch it. He said my insurance company would pin any damage on him and his insurance company. When he talked to his insurance company about it the agent said it wouldn't be in his best interest so he bailed on me.
He was going to do the job for $500. So far the two I've had out are saying $1400-$1500. I guess this is CYA money.

And Kim, I told both of these tree guys that the liner will float and be done when they drain. Question is who's paying for the new liner.
Note here if not done before: liner is 11 years old and bleached out to white :) from past years of powdered shock prior to starting BBB about 5 years ago.
Liner already has a number of patches on it. Few done last fall.

I told one tree guy who wanted to start this morning NO. I want to see if the insurance company accepts the estimates and pays first.
The swamp can sit there a little longer. I put mosquito pellets in it yesterday and will get mosquito blocks tomorrow as the home depot was out yesterday.
I hate how it looks but still have to proceed with caution.

Hopefully pics will attach.

thanks to all of you. This does save some of my sanity! I feel like you understand because you know how it is to love one's pool.
IMG_3868.jpg
My current view :(
IMG_2901.jpg
drain pic from last year

thanks again everyone
Joan

Wow, what a GIANT pain in the ear!

Yes, I think your pump will be fine even with your old cover.

I actually drove to Rome, GA one time back in about 1986. Yes, we all love our pools and can sympathize and empathize.

So here are my thoughts. Your liner is at the end of it's life. NOW may be the time to replace it. I think in the long run it may make your life easier. At this point I really have to wonder if anyone could get the tree up and out without doing more damage. I would think about calling the $500 guy back and saying "hey we KNOW we have to replace the liner so no worries about it. Can/will you do it if you have it in writing?"

The three different "quotes" is unreal :shock: really?? Who can and will do that??? You poor thing :hug:

Kim:kim:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.