pool pump replacement

Sep 23, 2016
ontario, Canada
Hi everyone I am looking for recommendations on a new pool pump. The original pump died last year just before closing (I closed early because wanted to research my options). My pool is a right hand L shape. The long side is 32x16 and is all deep 8.5-9 feet. the small end is 12x12 and 3.5 feet deep. There is 2 return jets and 1 skimmer. A 300 pound sand filter. 1.5 inch piping. The failed pump was a 1Hp Hayward super pump 230V . We live in southern Ontario Canada. Our typical pool season runs from late May to Sept. Hydro rates are expensive and are on variable depending on time of day. I am looking for the cheapest most efficient pump I can use. Thank you for your time.

Did the motor die or the wet end of the pump? If the wet end is good and doesn't leak just replace the motor with a 2 speed motor.
If the wet end has cracked or gone bad in some other way just get the same pump in a two speed version.

Look for utility rebates from your power company for buying an energy efficient pool pump. A variable speed pump is an option but the cost of the pump can be significantly higher than a two speed pump unless you find really good rebates and sales.

Get a 1 HP 2 speed pump. Timers - Anything that will run a 240V Electric water heater will work as a basic timer (Intermatic is a common brand ). You can get the ones with mechanical dials or an electronic clock timer version. I'm using the dial version on the pool, the electronic version on my water heater. The most usual pool pump timer is really one of these with a weatherproof case, so, if you can put the timer out of the weather, a water heater timer will work fine.

You can get dial timers that can switch speed if you want as well.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.