May 23, 2009
Trenton NJ
fc-9
cc.5
ph-7.2
ta-80,90-depending if you count last drop changes color
ch-220,230- same as above
cya-60
We been getting alot of rain lately, and surprising enough the water looks great,very clear. The one thing I don't understand is my cya is 60 and last week it was 80,no backwash,no water loss. Did the test twice.

My ph is alittle low but I do have some stains in my pool,so should I keep it where it is?

I can't seem to get my cc to zero,so I guess I have to live with .5

Those numbers look very, very nice to me. If your water is sparkling, I wouldn't change a thing. That pH may creep up on it's own just a little over time......I'd leave it right there.

I remember your first few posts.....you have gained great headway and have taken charge of your pool....nice work!

Yeah, I'd leave it there for now. Did you try any stain removal methods?

Many pools have .5. Only and issue if it climbs higher. :wink:

Rain can make the CYA dilute slightly - the test is very subjective, and you have wiggle room with your FC dosing. Won't hurt to dose the pool as if its higher as a precaution.

Thanks for feedback. Maybe I will add 1 lb of stabilizer to get the cya up alittle. As far as the stains go, I tried a vit. c tablet and it worked but since money is soo tight right now I will have to give it a go later,been out of work for over 6 months.

Thanks again for all your help, couldn't have done it without you guys! :-D :party:

ethany said:
Thanks for feedback. Maybe I will add 1 lb of stabilizer to get the cya up alittle. As far as the stains go, I tried a vit. c tablet and it worked but since money is soo tight right now I will have to give it a go later,been out of work for over 6 months.

Thanks again for all your help, couldn't have done it without you guys! :-D :party:

I meant dose with xtra chlorine. The CYA level may change as the water evaporations. I wouldn't add more CYA yet.

ethany said:
fc-9
cc.5
ph-7.2
ta-80,90-depending if you count last drop changes color
ch-220,230- same as above
cya-60
We been getting alot of rain lately, and surprising enough the water looks great,very clear. The one thing I don't understand is my cya is 60 and last week it was 80,no backwash,no water loss. Did the test twice.

My ph is alittle low but I do have some stains in my pool,so should I keep it where it is?

I can't seem to get my cc to zero,so I guess I have to live with .5
The reason to keep the CYA at 80 and the salt slightly high is so that when you have a higher water level from a lot of rain (which you just had) your salt and CYA are still withing the 'good range', which your CYA is. You did not give any salt readings but they will be lower than your last test also.
If you are not going to drain out any water but let it evaporate then don't add more CYA or salt (unless you have a low salt condition). If you need to drain some water then bring the levels back to the correct level once the water level has been adjusted.

As far as the TA test, you are supposed to add drops until adding one more drop does not cause any more color change and then don't count that last drop. For example (assuming a 25 ml sample and each drop of titrant is equal to 10 ppm TA) you add 6 drops and the sample starts to change color, at 7 drops it's sort purple, at 8 drops it's red, at 9 drops it becomes a lighter red, 10th drop causes no more change in color. Your TA is at 90 ppm (9 drops x 10 ppm per drop). You would not count the 10th drop that caused no further color change.
This applies to all titration tests, not just the TA test.
pH is fine where it is right now, particularly if you are using bleach or other unstabilized chlorine. If it drops any lower then add some borax. Chances are it will rise on it's own unless you are using trichlor or dichlor.

CC could be a product of the heavy rains. .5 CC is nothing to worry about but if it gets higher you do need to shock. Do you keep your pool covered much of the time? Keeping a pool covered will cause CC to build up and become persistant. If so then uncover the pool, shock to about 25 ppm and keep the pool uncovered for about a week. The CC should disapper (and your pH will rise also. Keeping a pool covered much of the time can cause pH to drop.)

ethany said:
How much chlorine? It's at 9ppm now? Should I turn up the swg,it's at about 40-50% now (2 led's lit)

Brian
It is better to add the chorine in the form of bleach rather than using the cell because you want to raise the FC level quickly to prevent the formation of some oxidation byproducts that are very difficult to get rid of (particularly when shocking). When you add a dose of liquid chlorine or bleach you bring the FC up virtually instantainiously instead of over a 24-28 hour period.

I do not understand,Since my fc is 9ppm isn't that alittle high since the range is 3-5ppm. If I do add the bleach,what do I shoot for,how much do I add? :?

I do not use a cover on my pool durning swim season.

Thanks,Brian

This was confusing, sorry. :oops:

What I meant was, since you are allowing the FC to drop back down to normal, after finishing shocking....after your FC comes down a bit.... run your SWG so that your FC is 1-2 ppm higher than your CYA currently calls for. So you tested 80 before the rain, if your FC would be 4-6, then run it now at 4-6 (instead 3-5 for your recent CYA test of 60) Does that make sense?

If you drain some of the water out, you'll need to add CYA. If you allow the water to evaporate, the CYA level will go back somewhat, but it still may need a lb or 2, I'd wait and see. Makes sense?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.