Hello from Tempe!

Apr 6, 2017
Tempe
Hi there! I'm a first time pool owner who may be in a bit over his head, but I'm very happy to have found this forum.

Could really use some help on

-which test to buy (I guess my strips may not be great)
-should I stop using that bucket of Leslie's granulated dichlor and tablet chlorine I've been using for a couple weeks

Thanks!
Brian

Brian,

Welcome to TFP... A Great resource for all pool owners that are in over their heads... :drown:

We have all been there... So, you are not alone.

Best test kit is the TF-100, but the Taylor K2006C will do in a pinch.

The whole point of the test kit is so you can determine if using the tablets is ok or not.

If your CYA level is very low, then using the tablets for a while will be fine until the CYA level gets to where you want it.

On the other hand, if your CYA level is already way too high then using the tablets is just making things worse.

Yes "guess" strips are useless.

As far as "shocking" your pool on a weekly basis -- when using the TFP method, it is not ever needed. I have not added "shock" or anything else from Leslie's to my pool in about three years.

Your best bet is to get a good test kit, test your pool water, and then, report back your test data. We can then point you in the direction of a Crystal clear pool... :testresults:

Like this...

FC
CC
pH
TA
CH
CYA

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.