What do I need to do here?

Mar 21, 2017
West Monroe, LA
OK - still learning, so no laughing - and I've read the abc's of pool chemistry - but I'm still questioning my testing/results etc. Can you guys put me on track?

Using Tf100 kit day 1 and day 2 are before we got a HUGE rain and I was still using clorox tablets for chlorine
day 3 is 4 days after the huge rain and I started using liquid bleach - no more tablets/pucks.

Day 1:
CL - 5 - 10
Ph - 7.2
FC - 6 ppm
CC - 1
TC - 7 ppm
CH - 25
TA - 100 ppm
CYA - 90

Day 2:
CL - 5 - 10
Ph - 7.2
FC - 5 ppm
CC - 1
TC - 6 ppm
CH - Didn't Record
TA - 108
CYA - 80 to 85

Today:
CL - 5-10
Ph - 7.5
FC - 6.5
CC - 1
TC - 7.5
CH - 25 ppm
TA - 80
CYA - 100

Let me know if you have questions etc - outdoor pool - 16x32 - 21000 gallon. I'd sure appreciate getting me on track!

Thanks!

Ok, nice job getting to work on that.

First, some lingo. The yellow chlorine test that is done with the red pH test is called an OTO test. It reads max of 5 for chlorine and 10 for bromine. 1, 2, 3, 4 , 5 for cl and 2, 4, 6, 8, 10 for br. And it reads TC, total chlorine. The other chlorine test with powder and drops is the FAS-DPD test and it is much more accurate.

I do recall soft water over there in North LA, but 25 ppm CH is pretty soft. Maybe retry that test with a 25ml sample, more here, Pool School - Extended Test Kit Directions

TA looks OK and pH is good between 7.2 and 7.8.

CYA, make sure that test is in full sun, back to the sun and pour the sample back and forth and read it lots of times to help get comfortable with it. There is more detail in the test instructions link above.

Make sure you set your FC level based on you cya level and the [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA]

Thanks pooldv!

You're 100% correct - the water here here in NELA is crazy soft (I moved here from MO - used to crazy hard water...quite a change!).

I'll go read the link you sent as well. The kit one.

I've looked at the FC one - so I'm guessing with a CYA that seems to be hovering around 90-100 I need to get FC around 7 to 8 then. That helps.

I'll work on the CYA test with your suggestions.

Appreciate the help - I'm trying to get on a path! :)

Ok, nice job getting to work on that.

First, some lingo. The yellow chlorine test that is done with the red pH test is called an OTO test. It reads max of 5 for chlorine and 10 for bromine. 1, 2, 3, 4 , 5 for cl and 2, 4, 6, 8, 10 for br. And it reads TC, total chlorine. The other chlorine test with powder and drops is the FAS-DPD test and it is much more accurate.

I do recall soft water over there in North LA, but 25 ppm CH is pretty soft. Maybe retry that test with a 25ml sample, more here, Pool School - Extended Test Kit Directions

TA looks OK and pH is good between 7.2 and 7.8.

CYA, make sure that test is in full sun, back to the sun and pour the sample back and forth and read it lots of times to help get comfortable with it. There is more detail in the test instructions link above.

Make sure you set your FC level based on you cya level and the [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA]

Since you don't use a SWG, you need to get some water out of there and replace it with CYA free water. All those pucks added a lot of CYA to your pool without you realizing it, I guess? By chance were you using the Clorox XtraBlue pucks too??

I'd say drain half and refill. That will bring your pool down to about 50 CYA. Still a bit high but far more manageable. Then your FC requirements will be lower also.

Got any questions? Bring'em on....

Yippee :flower:

Thanks Yippie!

Yeah - the previous owner left the pucks - and you're right - Clorox Xtrablue - just checked.

Draining 10,000 gallons out...whew....that's gonna hurt. I guess better than all. I might do that - maybe when we have a lot of rain or something coming in which looks like it might next week. Water is expensive here which is why I'm hedging slightly - but if I need to then I need to.

I assume to drain - just switch the valve on the filter to drain or something like that (never done it - only backwash/rinse/filter).

Thanks again!
Since you don't use a SWG, you need to get some water out of there and replace it with CYA free water. All those pucks added a lot of CYA to your pool without you realizing it, I guess? By chance were you using the Clorox XtraBlue pucks too??

I'd say drain half and refill. That will bring your pool down to about 50 CYA. Still a bit high but far more manageable. Then your FC requirements will be lower also.

Got any questions? Bring'em on....

Yippee :flower:

No, you really do want to drain that 10k gallons out. Wanna know why? --> Those Clorox XtraBlue pucks *also* contain copper. Copper builds up and stains, turns hair green and is difficult to remove.

So keep draining and give those pucks to someone you don't like... ooops, just kidding!!

Recite after me: Liquid Chlorine is My Friend! Liquid Chlorine is My Friend! Liquid Chlorine is My Friend!.....

Arggh - noted. Those can go in the trash then. We'll work on a draining then quickly.

Been using clorox bleach every since I started reading on here - buying in bulk from Sam's - so we can agree on that!

Thanks for the note!

No, you really do want to drain that 10k gallons out. Wanna know why? --> Those Clorox XtraBlue pucks *also* contain copper. Copper builds up and stains, turns hair green and is difficult to remove.

So keep draining and give those pucks to someone you don't like... ooops, just kidding!!

Recite after me: Liquid Chlorine is My Friend! Liquid Chlorine is My Friend! Liquid Chlorine is My Friend!.....

OK - I did some checking - the good news is water will not be an issue, so draining out the pool as suggested is only going to run me about $45 extra on my water bill after contacting them.

So the question I have - and I think I know the answer - but I'd like to confirm...

The pool liner looks like it could use a good cleaning - should I or rather can I - drain the pool and clean it with a brush/soap or pressure washer when it's a vinyl liner? I think the answer is no - but I want to confirm. Sounds like it could lose shape and/or float the pool (I have no idea what the water table is like around me - but it's Louisiana...)

I had also considered switching out the pool like with an LED one so I wouldn't have to worry about changing it (hopefully!) for a long time and add some color for fun. Thoughts?

Anything else you guys would say to consider around all of this?

Thanks again!

Can do - I'm definitely in more hilly country in West Monroe. Considering the pool is 8ft deep on one end - there can't be too much water going on under us I would think.

If the water table turns out ok - is it ok to drain all the way and scrub down (by walking around in the empty pool..) and then refill?

Call your county extension agent and see if they can give you water table data. You ain't exactly down in the "swamps" in West Monroe!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks Yip! Can I walk around with the water at the 1 ft level in the shallow end and scrub with brush and some soap or just forget about doing that? I don't have to clean - just figured if I'm draining I might as well scrub and try to clean up the liner a bit - but don't know if you can/should walk on it with less water in there etc.

Also - anyone have any thoughts aorund the LED light bulb question as well? Good idea/bad idea?

Thanks again!

No, you want to leave at least one foot in the shallow end at all times to hopefully keep the liner in place.

Yip :flower:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.