Mustard algae

Aug 26, 2016
Chapmansboro, Tn
Hi all,
Feel like many here, banging my head against a wall not knowing whats
on my pool floor. Looks light brown streaks with some bright green around
the edges. Puffs in cloud when brushed returns with in an hour or so.
Have passed the 3 criteria for slam.
Oclt 1ppm loss
cc 0
water clear.
Fc=15.5 (down from slam of 20)
cc=0
ta=100
ph=7.4
cya=50
Im thinking of treating as MA and taking to ma slam level. Any and all help
is greatly appreciated.
Thanks Bill
p.s. I'm a little confused about the Slam process for MA, do I stay at that level
for only 24 hrs or do I stay there for al long as that junk is in my pool. What ever it is!!!

I'm feeling your pain and also confused about MA protocol as the instructions don't tell you what to do after keeping at MA level for 24 hrs. Drop back down to regular shock level or go all the way back down to regular FC level and see what happens?

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk

do I stay at that level for only 24 hrs or do I stay there for al long as that junk is in my pool.
Bill, raising to MA shock levels is only a 24 hr requirement. The thing about the SLAM is that even if it is MA, you should be able to pass the regular SLAM (first), then increase for 24 hrs only as a final "kick in the pants" as insurance to help ensure any traces of MA are resolved. If you see as much algae as I think you do, I would recommend going back to the FC of 20 and continuing. That would be my recommendation. Now if you chose to increase to MA level anyways, just to see what happens, do not do it for longer than 24 hrs. We care about your liner. :)

I wonder if any of the following could be responsible:
- CYA actually higher than 50?
- Algae still living somewhere you haven't found (i.e. under/in steps, behind lights, etc)

By any chance have you done a filter deep clean recently? Unless your sand is new, it may not be a bad idea. Deep Cleaning a Sand Filter

Curious to see how your situation progresses. Keep us posted please and good luck.

Texas Splash,
Thank you for your response. I feel better knowing what to do with MA slam.
Its an above ground with no lights, no steps as I use an A frame ladder that
has not been put in pool yet as in mid Tn the water temp is still cooool, around
60 degrees. I'm not 100% sure it's algae at all. There's not a bunch of it, just
hangs out at the bottom here and there. I will re-do my cya as a double
check. My beautiful wife has volunteered to brave the cold water to see if she
can get a feel of this stuff. Hope it is just dirt or somthing fine that is just running
through the filter. Have not done deep clean as the pool was just installed in August
of 2016 and closed in nov.

My beautiful wife has volunteered to brave the cold water to see if she can get a feel of this stuff.
Uh oh. I see a night out for dinner in your future. :) Also, perhaps there's a pollen issue in your area? If you see a bunch collecting around the pool on decking or cars, that may be part of it. Just a thought.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.