New Pool Build Finish

Apr 6, 2017
Florida
Hello,

First time poster here with a few questions. I've dug through the forums a bit educating myself more about new pool installations but, still had some decisions that we needed feedback on.

We are currently deciding on a new build between two PB (was originally 3) in the south Florida area. The builds are very similar with a just a few small differences.

The overall build:

- 32x17 (86 LF) (free form design) 3ft-5ft depth
- 13x7 Sunshelf with LED light, bubbler and umbrella sleeve
- 6ft bench in deeper end of the pool
- 2 x LED lights (1 included from builders)
- 1.5 HP pump (Pentair or Jandy)
- Salt System (same brands)
- Pre-wire/plumbing for Heater
- 600 sqft paver install (we are in a zero lot line community so we are a little limited)
- Pool Finish - one builder is standard plaster finish with choice of color and the other includes a quartz cement aggregate.

The overall price difference between the two is about $1475, the PB featuring the Quartz finish being more expensive at $32,652.

My question is if the Quartz finish is worth that amount?

As side item, I researched the benefits of Quartz and PT finishes as far as it relates to potential durability benefits when properly cared for but, when I called the company that the PB uses to lay the Quartz finish they told me it was just for aesthetics and still only offered a 10 year warranty (same as the other builder on their standard plaster finish). I know warranty coverages can vary.

Does that sound right or?

Thank you for your time.

Last edited:
Can't say anything as regards your particular quartz finish, but the pool at our house had a Diamond Brite quartz finish applied in 1998 when we moved in in 2002, and we are just this year replastering... and it could have probably waited another year. That's 20 years.

So to me, it would be worth the difference. We are going with a Wet Edge pebble finish this time.

H,

Welcome to TFP... A Great resource for all new pool owners... :snorkle:

3' is just not deep enough, even for the shallow end. I would go 3.5' or 4' minimum.

Might want to consider going with a Variable speed pump, they can make a huge difference in your electrical bills.

You will love your new saltwater pool... !!

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.