Trees - Root Barrier

mpride

Bronze Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
May 23, 2008
Sugar Land Texas
We have finally decided to purchase an in-ground gunite pool. The problem is that I have several trees in the area where the pool will be built. The pool company would of like to cut down one of the trees to give us more room. However, I'm very reluctant to do that. The trees are as follows:

2 Bald Cypress
1 Pecan
1 Southern Magnolia

I have talked with 2 different tree companies and have received contradictory information from them about the need for the barrier and the types to use etc. It seems to me that the only vulnerable part would be the decking and not the pool shell but I could be wrong about that. Here are my questions:

1)Is a root barrier needed to protect the pool shell?
2)What is the best type of root barrier?
3)How far away should the pool be from the trunk of any tree?
4)Can anyone recommend a company to install the barrier?

I sure would appreciate any advice or thoughts on the subject

Welcome to TFP!

Those are all very messy trees. I would position my pool as far away from them as possible.
I would also be hesitant to cut them down, especially if they are mature, but you may regret that later, just because of the amount of junk they will dump into your pool, and not just leaves... cypress balls, magnolia pods, pecans, oh my!

Sorry, I cannot help with your other questions.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.