Chlorine use

Aug 26, 2016
Chapmansboro, Tn
Hi all,
Have a quick question on how much chlorine burns off in a day.
Opened pool a week ago. Have some light brown colored streaks
on bottom of pool. Hoping its not mustard algae. Brought to slam
level, brush, vac, back wash. Spots return. Use about 6ppm lc
aday. Am preparing for MA slam this weekend just to be sure.
Sorry for going the long way, should I return to normal loss of
3-4 ppm loss when I let FC come back to target level of 8 as apposed to
keeping it at slam level?

FC-20 OCLT-1
CC-0
PH-7.4
TA-100
CYA-50
Thanks
Bill

Thanks, will stay at slam for next 2 days then go to MA slam levels for 24 hrs.
After that will let FC come back to target level and see what happens. Those streaks
on the bottom of my pool just don't make any sense to me. Make a person want to drink. (more)
Thanks Bill

Thanks, will stay at slam for next 2 days then go to MA slam levels for 24 hrs. After that will let FC come back to target level and see what happens. Those streaks on the bottom of my pool just don't make any sense to me.

Drink to enjoy your self and celebrate the open pool! Don't panic.

But I have some bad news, that is not how you SLAM. If you think it is Mustard Algae, you can try that as well if the standard SLAM isn't getting it.

Please read SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain in Pool School for proper SLAM procedures. You are only done slamming when you have met the following criteria:
* CC is 0.5 or lower;
* You pass an OCLT (ie overnight FC loss test shows a loss of 1.0 ppm or less);
* And the water is clear.

It doesn't matter if its been 2 days or 2 weeks.

The reason you still have those streaks is because you never completely eradicated the algae. This would also explain why you are using a lot of FC.

Go over and get your FC for SLAM levels depending on your CYA. Dose and hold it there as best as possible. Brush & vacuum to make sure there are no stubborn spots.

I have met the 3 criteria's 2 nights now. Last nights test,
oclt=1ppm
cc=0
water is clear.
Maybe saying keep at slam level is misleading. I am keeping my FC level way above target in prep for the weekend MA slam. Not really sure what the streaks are. They have been in there since August of last year. Have not had an ugly pool, but don't want to take any chances. I have seen this talked about on hear before, sorry if I'm just rehashing an old thread, but I just don't want to hate my pool!!! Other then those streaks of what ever they are, the pool looks great. Except for the spring tree junk that goes through my net. What would you do?
Thanks

Do you have any trichlor pucks? If so, I would place one directly on the streaks for a minute or two to see if the streak fades. Don't leave it too long as it will bleach your liner and possibly degrade it. If they do not fade with trichlor treatment, put a bunch of Vitamin C tablets in a sock and place them on the streaks for several minutes. If the trichlor fades them, they are organic (algae) stains and should fade as you maintain proper sanitation after the SLAM. If the Vitamin C tablets fade the stain, it is likely a metals stain. It would be fairly uncommon to have metal stain streaks on the bottom of an AG pool, unless something metal sat on the bottom for a period of time such as BBs, nails, chair, stake... etc.

Jvtrain,
if they were stains, would they poof up and disapear when brushed?
Their has been no metal in pool, it was just installed in August 2016.
The stuff appeared with in a week or so of install. Has not bloomed
into anything but spots on bottom. Vacuumed, or just brushed and
with in a few hours it resettles on bottom.
Thanks Bill

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Will dead algae appear light brown? I almost want to let FC come to
target and see what happens while maintaining correct levels? It has
not bloomed into anything (yet) and has been happening since the
pool was installed. Losing about 6ppm for the last 4 days but everything
else looks good. Just pulled the cover off and got it running on sat, yes the same
amount of stuff on bottom of pool when I pulled cover.
Thanks
Bill

:confused::confused:

I have met the 3 criteria's 2 nights now. Last nights test,
oclt=1ppm
cc=0
water is clear.
Maybe saying keep at slam level is misleading. I am keeping my FC level way above target in prep for the weekend MA slam. ...... What would you do?
Thanks
I'd keep SLAM'ing. You say the water is clear, but then you say there is "stuff" settling to the bottom. That not really officially clean and your OCLT is still 1ppm.

if they were stains, would they poof up and disapear when brushed? ... The stuff appeared with in a week or so of install. Has not bloomed into anything but spots on bottom. Vacuumed, or just brushed and with in a few hours it resettles on bottom.
No, Stains will not "poof up" and resettle.

Will dead algae appear light brown? I almost want to let FC come to target and see what happens while maintaining correct levels? It has not bloomed into anything (yet) and has been happening since the pool was installed. Loosing about 6ppm for the last 4 days but everything else looks good. Just pulled the cover off and got it running on sat, yes the same amount of stuff on bottom of pool when I pulled cover.
Question, could it just be plain 'ol dirt? Can you describe how and when you last cleaned it your filter? Could it be a channeled sand filter that just isnt working properly? Maybe a little DE could pull out the fines... Just trying to kick around some ideas in case it isn't actually algae.

Although that 6ppm is an awful lot, considering it is April in Tennessee...

How about a picture of your problem areas?

Tealdo,
Ive only back washed the filter. Have not taken the lid off it since
new in August of 16. No idea how to tell if filter is working the way it
should or not other then to keep an eye on the pressure gauge. Not sure what channeled
filter means. It would make me very happy if it were just dirt.
Thanks
Bill

Tealdo,
Ive only back washed the filter. Have not taken the lid off it since new in August of 16. No idea how to tell if filter is working the way it should or not other then to keep an eye on the pressure gauge. Not sure what channeled filter means. It would make me very happy if it were just dirt.
Thanks Bill

I don't think we've ruled out the algae avenue yet, so keep up with that SLAM. If that doesn't seem to be doing anything over the next few days, then it would be a time to look at the other causes.

A channeled sand filter just means that there are "tunnels" though the sand medium that allow the water to pass through unfiltered. Your filter is relatively new, but I suppose it could happen. To correct this issue, take a look at this article. Scroll down to the Deep Clean section.

Dave

Just an update,
Climbed in pool 2 weeks ago with water temp at 60 degrees, will NEVER do that again. Any how sucked up some of the debris off bottom with a clear catchup bottle.
Let it set in sun for 4 days or more. Nothing grew!!! To make a long story short, let FC come down to target level of 9, added DE by instruction on this site. Brush,brush, brush I think you get the hint. I now lose an average of 2ppm a day, water is crystal clear. Just wanted to thank everyone for their response.
FC=9
CC=0
PH=7.6
TA=90
CYA=60 Add all this together==== Clear water!!
Thanks Bill

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.