skimmer fiters, any good? bad for pump flow?

tstex

Silver Supporter
Aug 28, 2012
Houston, TX
Hello to all,

Was inside a pool shop dropping of cleaner for maintenance. I told them about layer of small debris on the top of my water, and they recommended some "skim mors". They are filters you insert inside your skimmers, and they filter/trap very small particulates, even pollen and dog hair.

First, are these a good investment?

Next, are they reusable and for how long?

Finally, I would suspect anything that filters water/traps particulates will to some degree, reduce water flow. If these get real clogged, is there any danger of the water restriction that would cause stress to the pump? I have a 3HP VSP. It operates at 2800RPM and 1300rpm. Would the lower RPM w the skimmer filter in it be a problem if the filters got real clogged?

Thank you very much,
tstex

I use skimmer socks in my AG pool. You have to watch them. I've had 1/4" of pollen build up inside mine when I forgot. Put in Sunday morning, remembered Monday morning. Pressure did drop put I still had good flow. I usually have two in rotation when pollen is bad. One in in morning before work and out when I get home, clean and dry for the next day. You will be surprised how much you can collect. Try out during the weekend when you are home, see how long it takes to fill up.

Search around and there are threads with HAIR NETS instead of the skimmer socks. Just toss when full.

Hello to all,

Was inside a pool shop dropping of cleaner for maintenance. I told them about layer of small debris on the top of my water, and they recommended some "skim mors". They are filters you insert inside your skimmers, and they filter/trap very small particulates, even pollen and dog hair.

First, are these a good investment?

Next, are they reusable and for how long?

Finally, I would suspect anything that filters water/traps particulates will to some degree, reduce water flow. If these get real clogged, is there any danger of the water restriction that would cause stress to the pump? I have a 3HP VSP. It operates at 2800RPM and 1300rpm. Would the lower RPM w the skimmer filter in it be a problem if the filters got real clogged?

Thank you very much,
tstex
I (and many others here) use disposable hair nets. My pool is under two large trees, and the debris they drop in the spring is ridiculous. I've never had a problem with them completely blocking flow, but I do change them daily during spring. Once everything is done budding/growing, I easily go 3-5 days with one hair net.

I don't bother cleaning them, I throw them out when dirty, and the 100-pack last me almost all swim season.

https://www.amazon.com/General-Supp...TF8&qid=1491485599&sr=8-11&keywords=hair+nets

I won't run without them unless I have too for some reason. As long as there is something else open like a main drain, the pump will pull from there. Save the water level being too low in the pool there is no threat, but that's always true.

I buy these at my pool dealer wholesaler sometimes when I get acid. Some members use other things here like Ladies stockings or hairnets, but these purpose made ones I use over and over again, getting far more out of them than I am sure they are designed for. I never take them off, just dump the junk in a bucket, and light spray them down, and all the tiny stuff out with the hose.

They are the Bees Knees if you ask me.

Thanks for the replies guys, greatly appreciated. I might buy a combination of both: both hair nets and filters. 100 filters for 8 bucks is less than 2 lunches...Patrick, are you referring to the Skim Mors? if so, how long do they last?

THanks again

I used the reusable skimmer socks for a while but then got annoyed with hosing then off. They would eventually get dirty enough that no amount of hose washing got them clean. I switched to a $6 box of 100-count disposable spun-polypropylene hair nets (for food industry workers). I, like Dom, just chuck them when they fill up. The fibers are open enough that no loss of flow occurs (none that's measurable at least). 18 months later and I'm still in my first box - I change them about once per week or so. I've gone as long as three weeks because I don't get much leaf litter in the pool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great idea about the hair nets. I'm going to buy them. Question though. Everything I am seeing people are putting them on their skimmers that don't have handles. My hayward skimmer has a handle on the skimmer basket. Do I just put it around the handle or disconnect the handle? Thoughts on that? Thanks

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.