Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Indoor/Outdoor LED Light Bulbs

1. Back To Top    #1

Indoor/Outdoor LED Light Bulbs

Our house is five years old. ALL of the original incandescent bulbs have burned out, at least once, and some many more times than that. For sake of argument, let's say those incandescent bulbs consumed 60 watts each. However, most of the bulbs in our home were compact fluorescent (CF). ALL of those have aged in five years to the point where, when you turn them on, they are very frustratingly dim, and take 5-10 minutes to warm up to an only mediocre light output. Let's say 20 watts consumed each for the CF. Over time, we have begun replacing all with LED bulbs. The LED bulbs come on full bright instantly, at about 7 watts each. And none have failed, ever. There are even LED bulbs which mimic incandescent lighting patterns. And they are now cheaper than CF in many cases.
    30,000 gal free-form IG w/ spa, PebbleSheen Blue Surf, Pentair cartridge filter, Pentair 3 HP Intelliflo, extra pump that is way over-sized for weeping moss rocks, Dolphin Oasis Z5, municipal water, all built Jan-Feb 2016. TF-100, SpeedStir, Liquidator 3/8", borates. My build thread http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...-in-Cypress-TX

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Indoor/Outdoor LED Light Bulbs

I'm a big fan of LED bulbs. I do have a few of the old slow roll CFLs around. Although, the CFLs are better now, closer to instant on and better color options. But, they are going to get bypassed by LED. I recently converted all the under cabinet lighting in the kitchen from halogen to LED. Huge difference in operating temp, those halogens are hot, LEDs are nice and cool. All light bulbs that are used daily have been converted to LED. Good stuff!
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

Same here. Every once and a while Home Depot will have a great sale on the CREE LED bulbs & that's when I first started changing over. Right now I think I'm about 95% LED, inside and out.
    Dom - TFP Guide
    Intex 18' X 48" Ultra Frame AGP 6700 gallons | Two Intex CS8110 SWG's | Hayward Pro Series 21" Sandfilter | Hayward 1.5HP Power Flo Matrix pump | Hayward Thru-wall Skimmer | Wanda the Whale | 72 sq ft of Sungrabber Solar Panels with Hayward GLC-2P-A | Taylor K2006 Test Kit, Sample Sizer & Speed Stir | Click Here To Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

I don't have a single CFL or incandescent bulb in my house. I'm a fan of the cree bulbs they have performed great even where they aren't supposed to like in sealed recessed lighting. For the outdoor stuff I went with LED fixtures instead of bulbs. Amazon is a great place for residential LED flood lights.
    Chuck-
    15x30 AG, Pentair Superflo VS, 19" sand filter, TF-100 test kit
    Aqua Comfort ACT750 heat pump / 6x20 ground mount solar panel / DIY automation

Photos of 2016 Build, Inside Your Breaker Panel, Free Copy of 2017 NEC code
    TFP is AD Free and is funded solely by member support click here to help

5. Back To Top    #5

I re-lamped my old Jandy Color MR-16 Halogens with LED equivalents. It took me three tries to get an LED short enough with a wide enough beam to work well and to fit behind the dichormatic screen. Neither of the ones ordered from amazon were quite short enough. I finally got a set short enough from Home Depot on line and drop shipped as they weren't one normally stocked. I still had to go to the bolt supply warehouse to get the stainless screws I needed to put the dichromatic screen back on the light housing as these lights were still a couple mm too long. I got it all buttoned up and working great with new gaskets and re-installed them. Now, instead of burning 75watts x 4 lamps = 300 watts (2 in the pool and 2 in the spa) I'm at 6.5Watts x 4 lamps = 26 watts and I don't mind having them on for a couple hours each morning when I'm up before the sun and each evening too.

20170406_052006.jpg

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

Have they fixed the flickering issue? The LED lights that I have seen, flicker at a very annoying rate. I stopped trying to use them because of it.
    Bob - INTEX 12x24 owner (not setup yet), 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

I am about 95% LED by now. None of mine have ever flickered that I can notice.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

8. Back To Top    #8

No flickering for me. Most all of my house is LED and a lot of dimmable ones too. The lights on the back patio and gazebos seen above are 11w incandescents but there's 300 of them and that is a bit of a capital outlay to replace with LED plus I'm not so sure they'll give the look I want.

9. Back To Top    #9

TFP Guide

Hay Dave, do you have LED Christmas lights? If so, do you notice a flicker with them?
    Bob - INTEX 12x24 owner (not setup yet), 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

10. Back To Top    #10

The flickering was caused by early, poorly designed (cheap) drivers. This was most prevalent in dimmable and replacement bulbs where driver space and heat dissipation are limited, as a opposed to complete fixtures. Most LEDs on the market now should have resolved the issue, although some people are more sensitive to the flicker than others. While no universal standard that I know if exists, modern drivers push the flicker well up into the kilohertz range, far beyond what we can perceive.

34k gallon, 3' - 8' deep, 45' x 25' plaster free-form, in-ground spa, Hayward MaxFlo VS, Sta-Rite System 3 S8M-150, Pureline PL7703 SWG, Dual 1HP Pentair spa booster pumps, Hayward H400FDN, Taylor K-2006 Test Kit, Dolphin Quantum

11. Back To Top    #11

I had LEDs in my recessed lighting in my kitchen and noticed that they were flickering any time I ran my dishwasher. Turns out it was the dimmer I had installed on the circuit, it was an old dimmer, not rated for CFL or LED. I replaced the dimmer switch with one made for CFL/LED and the flickering went away completely. The newer dimmer is also adjustable so you can set the minimum dimmer level, where the old style one, even at the dimmest level, the lights were still at I'd say about 30% brightness. Now I can dim them all the way down to almost off.
    Inground vinyl 23'x40' Aspen shape, ~27K gallons, Sta-Rite Intellipro 2 VST Pump, Sta-Rite System:3 Mod DE Filter (60 sq ft), Hybrid In-Floor System (Paramount Valve with Caretaker Heads), AquaComfort Heat Pump, 3x Savi Melody Sol 28W LED Lights, Pentair IC60 SWCG, EasyTouch Automation with ScreenLogic, TF-100 test kit.

12. Back To Top    #12

My house is now 90% LED and I have had a few failures in my bathroom, 3 of the 6 Crees have gone out after 1.5 years. No other failures in 2 years for most of the lights. The instant on, colors of the LED lights, and the electric savings are fantastic.
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process

13. Back To Top    #13

I've seen the flicker on the Christmas lights, too. Usually out of the corner of my eye, and I'm guessing at about 60hz, as they're cheap and don't have any decent rectification. LEDS being a diode first, and a light source second only pass power in one direction, so when the current from your AC outlet cycles back and forth the lights will pulse at that rate.

I'm mostly still cfl in the house, but the can lights are all LED from home depot and costco now - never any issues with those - out of the corner of my eye, or anywhere else. I've got a couple of the Feit "original" edison reproduction bulbs in LED outside for fun. Good, steady appearance on those, too.

PS I'm still able to find traditional C7 Christmas lights every year - yay! They look so much warmer and more inviting on the house - they actually illuminate the house, not just themselves...
    Chris | 16' x 34' 16,000 gallon | IG Vinyl | Pentair Tagelus sand filter | Jandy 2hp epump | AquaPro PRO1300 heat pump | Coverstar auto cover | Taylor K-2006 | built August, 2016.

14. Back To Top    #14

I am testing LEDs for my recessed cans but I still have mostly incandescent bulbs inside my house (using older Insteon home automation switches that don't like LEDs) but all LEDs in my landscape and pool lighting. One odd thing I noticed with the landscape LEDs is they give off a strong enough RF signal in the "wrong" frequency that it blocks my garage door opener remote! Not to hijack this thread but, anybody else out there having that issue?

Totally agree with cjpwalker about C7 Christmas bulbs! They just look much more inviting!
    19,500 gal, 16' x 38' PebbleTec IG Pool, Built 4/2013; Pentair IntelliFlo VS 3050 3 HP Pump, Pentair Intellichlor IC40 SWG, Pentair IntellipH, Pentair 520 sq ft/150 GPM Cartridge Filter, A&A In-Floor Cleaner, Dolphin Nautilus Plus Robot (aka "Robbie"), Pentair EasyTouch Power Panel w/ Quick Touch 4 Remote Control, Autelis WiFi controller, Clear 12 mil Solar Cover on Presto SS Reel, Taylor K-2006 Test Kit.

15. Back To Top    #15

TFP Guide

Thanks everyone for the great info about the newer LED lights. Guess I'll have to give 'em another chance.

16. Back To Top    #16

My house is 95% LED as well. The only thing remaining is the fluorescent lights in the garage. Even my flood lights are LED. I've had zero issues in the three years they've been installed.

32 X16 Vinyl 20,000 gallon in-ground, Hayward S244T2 Sand Filter, Ecotech EZ Variable Speed 1.5 hp pump motor. TF-100 test kit.

https://www.mebanepressurewashing.com

17. Back To Top    #17

I am about 99% LED including replacing all my tube lights in closets/utility rooms. In fact the only CFL I have are the ones mounted under the kitchen cabinets.

I plan to replace the backyard halogens with more of the expensive LED units from (forgetting the name at the moment), but so much nicer and instant light.

I am 0% incandescent.

did this 3 years ago when i moved in and leds were a bit more expensive, but waited until i got a good deal...nowadays its a no brainer b/c they are so cheap
    Pool Type: In Ground, Liner. Shape: Free form/kidney
    Size: 32,000 gallons
    Filter/Pump: (2016) DE Hayward 4820 / (2016) Pentair VST 2
    Heater: (2018) Raypak 406A 400k BTU
    Location: NJ. No tree/leaves overhead. Limited shrubs near/over waterfall feature

18. Back To Top    #18

Most of the bulbs in my house are now LED as are my Intellibrite 5G pool lights. Also, I replaced 6 t12 florescent tubes in my kitchen and 8 t12 tubes in my garage with LED t8 tubes fitted with a dimmer. The LED tubes use a lot less power, will probably outlast me, are dimmable, run cooler and do not flicker or buzz. I think the tubes were about 20 bucks each at HD, but IMHO well worth the money.
    38000 Gal, IG, Plaster, 20' x 40' x 10', Attached Raised Spa, Intelliflo VS 3 HP (011018), Pentair Quad DE 60 Filter, Raypak (Rheem) 400,000 BTU (407a low Nox), Easy Touch 8 upgrade, Screenlogic 2 with wireless, IS-4 Spa Side Remote, Stenner 45MPHP10 w/15 gal tank, Intellibrite 5g (3), Dolphin Triton Plus robot with PRO remote, Water Tech Catfish handheld vacuum for spa, TF100 with SpeedStir.