I really really need some advise on pool paint!!!

abake

Apr 5, 2017
leesburg fl
Hello, I was hoping that someone could give me some advice. I have been renovating a pool that was filled in with dirt at one point. It is all excavated and I have been working on it non stop. It was very stained from being filled with dirt for so long so I decided to paint it. I am new to pools. In fact I have never had one so Im literally learning everything as I go.

I thought the pool was just plaster. Since I was too excited and wanting to not waist time I bought some paint. This is what I bought: Zinsser 5 gal. Blue Flat Oil-Based Swimming Pool Paint-260542 - The Home Depot

Well turns out it was painted. I believe it was chlorinated rubber. I rubbed some mineral spirits on it with no reaction so I have ruled out acrylic. I have pressure washed it non stop and have gotten most of it off. The problem is that there is still a small layer of the paint on a lot of it, as in you dont feel the rough plaster. But when you look at it, it looks like the paint is off.

Does anyone have any idea how this oil based paint would react if I put it on the bit of film. Will it literally fall off anywhere if it is not on pure plaster? If it can hold up for 2 years I will be over the moon. This is really a side project of mine that Im fighting not to turn into a money pit boondoggle. Is there any kind of primer I could put on to make them fuse together?

Anyone that has any advice on this please let me know!

I'm not an expert, but most around here don't recommend painting. Sounds like though you are just wanting something temporary to get you through a couple of years. But, if you can post some pics of your pool, that would be great so we can see what you are referring to.

Welcome to TFP!

That's right, we don't recommend painting pools because it only last a couple of years and makes a mess. I am not aware of any rubberized paint that people use in pools. The only thing I am aware of that it could be would be a thermo-polymer finish like Aquabright. Pics might help.

It could be rubber based what you have left. The chance of it being an ecoFinish product is less than 5% if I was guessing. You will be ok putting whatever over it since you are wanting to get by for a couple years. Just remember generally you can't cover one type of paint with another and get them to stick.

You might try a grinder with a sanding disk on it to create a profile for the new paint to adhere to.

IMAG0988 (1).jpg
This is what I started with.
IMAG1062 (1).jpg
Halfway through the dig.
17274770_1883371838597719_1755394770_n (1).jpg
I only used a mini excavator and the pool was too deep for it. I had this last bit on dirt in there for a while before I got back to it. The rest had to be shoveled out by hand into 5 gallon buckets.

25gfdaa.jpg
[/IMG]
Give you an idea of the size. Once I got to the very bottom I discovered all of the trash they had thrown in. Including the old filter and pump as well as 2 mattresses.
xmiet1.jpg
[/IMG]
As I had Expected they had cut a hole in the bottom. I cleaned it out and filled the lines with hydraulic cement. Filled in the very bottom with concrete and rebar,then another layer of cement mixed with acrylic fortifier. At this point I am still waiting for it to cure. I was thinking of painting it over with with some type of sealant even though It was mixed with acrylic. I just know this is probably the weakest link so I want to play it safe.
mhee54.jpg
[/IMG]
This is what I have now. Had some rain last night.
2uesigh.jpg
[/IMG]
Still plan on pressure washing this for awhile as well.
[IMG]http://i66.tinypic.com/e7coig.jpg[/IMG]
Most of the paint is more or less off here.
2n0opdj.jpg
[/IMG]

Obviously I have some patching to finish up and you can see what most of all I have done. I made patch out of portland cement, sand and acrylic fortifier. The pool was previously patched in the past quite a bit as you can see. I went with plain old grey cement because I knew I would be painting it anyway. Let me know what you think of painting please. Any advice if greatly appreciated. Really all Im trying to get out of this is a pool that holds water and is one color. I know a lot of people probably have higher standards but Im just looking to swim!

WOW! outstanding work I must say. The shell looks pretty darn good considering what its been through.

Bravo!!

My last pool was painted by the previous owner. The thing about it that bothered me most, was everytime I brushed it, some
paint would come off in a cloud. And it got slightly cloudy whenever I had guests over. I didn't stay
at that house long enough to re-plaster it.

As long as that doesn't bother you and knowing it will only be good for about 2 years, I say go for it.

Please keep the photo progress coming. It's always great to see a neglected pool come back.

just looking to swim

Right! Sounds good. Nice work digging that pool out! :thumleft:

I don't think that is painted. It looks like worn out plaster, the bare spots look like the plaster is gone and that is the gunite shell.

Here is what I would do. Fill it up and see if it holds water. If it does swim for a year or two and replaster when you can. I would skip the paint altogether.

If it leaks then look at doing some plaster patches on those bare spots.

Here is a nice diy plaster thread, DIY Pool restoration project. Lot of work!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It is painted. After I tried mineral spirits I rubbed some acetone on and it started to come off and got sticky. It was also very chalky but Ive pressure washed a lot of that off. I actually just ran up to lowes and saw they were selling a porter cable angle grinder for 40$ so I went ahead and grabbed that and some sanding pads. After im done with it ill probably put it on craigslist because I wont have any other use for it. At this point im not wanting to waste any time. Its getting hotter by the day!

I just checked out that other thread and Im sure glad mine doesn't have those kinds of crack!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.