Rebar/shotcrete question:

Azsunsets

Silver Supporter
Mar 8, 2017
San Tan Valley, AZ
I'm asking the sub on my O/B to beef up the rebar on my pool. Standard is #3 @12". For about $500 I can get #3 12X6 vertical & 6X6 on the floor.

I asked for 4000psi for the shotcrete, instead of the standard 3000psi the sub quoted me.

I'm in an area of AZ that can have expansive soil, so I want to take extra precautions.

I have one sub who said no problem, and the other replied with this:

3000 psi is the standard for swimming pools. We can use 4000 psi for an additional $200 but he doesn't recommend it. He said you will have a stronger, more durable pool using 3000 psi.
At 4000 psi, the concrete sets up faster and is already getting hot while the crew is still doing the finish work. It clogs the hoses slowing down the process and causing breaks in the material.
The shotcrete design that we use, while being guaranteed to 3000 psi consistently tests higher.

Does this answer make sense?? Obviously, I want the strongest shell. My build will start early May.

I appreciate any feedback!
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, it makes sense.

You're better off to go with more (thicker) 3000 psi shotcrete than the same amount (thickness) of 4000 psi. In all actuality, at 90 days your 3000 psi concrete will be more like 4500 psi, and possibly way more with more steel. In reality, the 3000 psi concrete with the std steel is way more than fine.

I'm with BigEinAZ, I don't think it's a big deal in the slightest.

If you are concerned about expansive soils, make sure you have plenty of #57 rock around the perimeter of your pool as backfill....problem solved

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.