Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Rebar/shotcrete question:

1. Back To Top    #1

Rebar/shotcrete question:

I'm asking the sub on my O/B to beef up the rebar on my pool. Standard is #3 @12". For about $500 I can get #3 12X6 vertical & 6X6 on the floor.

I asked for 4000psi for the shotcrete, instead of the standard 3000psi the sub quoted me.

I'm in an area of AZ that can have expansive soil, so I want to take extra precautions.

I have one sub who said no problem, and the other replied with this:

3000 psi is the standard for swimming pools. We can use 4000 psi for an additional $200 but he doesn't recommend it. He said you will have a stronger, more durable pool using 3000 psi.
    At 4000 psi, the concrete sets up faster and is already getting hot while the crew is still doing the finish work. It clogs the hoses slowing down the process and causing breaks in the material.
    The shotcrete design that we use, while being guaranteed to 3000 psi consistently tests higher.

Does this answer make sense?? Obviously, I want the strongest shell. My build will start early May.

I appreciate any feedback!
    Thanks

Under Construction In-ground Freeform 11K gal Pentair intelliflo Clean&Clear cartridge filter, EasyTouch w/IC40, Baja Mini Pebble interior - Sky Blue, TF-100

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Rebar/shotcrete question:

My opinion is you are WAY overthinking this. Go with what your SE says for reinforcing and don't fret the PSI.
    17' x 30' rectangle pool, two 7' x 7' baja decks, 6' x 8' raised spa. Hayward 2HP VSP for features, filter and returns. 2HP single speed for 9 spa jets. 1HP blower for spa bubbles. In-Floor cleaning, Cartridge filter, AquaConnect automation, 400K BTU NG heater. Plaster is Stonescapes mini-pebble in Aqua Blue + abalone shell TF-100 Text from Neighbor -- They're digging your pool!

3. Back To Top    #3

Yes, it makes sense.

You're better off to go with more (thicker) 3000 psi shotcrete than the same amount (thickness) of 4000 psi. In all actuality, at 90 days your 3000 psi concrete will be more like 4500 psi, and possibly way more with more steel. In reality, the 3000 psi concrete with the std steel is way more than fine.
    ~17k gallon, plaster/gunite pool, Pac Fab Challenger Pump 1.65HP, Sand filter. Rheem Heater. Waterfalls with 1 hp pump. Main Drain and 1 Skimmer.
    TF-100XL test kit

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

I'm with BigEinAZ, I don't think it's a big deal in the slightest.

If you are concerned about expansive soils, make sure you have plenty of #57 rock around the perimeter of your pool as backfill....problem solved
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

steel, steel, steel. psi is unimportant over 3k
    18x36 vinyl / sport pool 5.5' deep / 1.5hp Tri-Star 2spd / Hayward c3030 325 sqft cartridge / ~15k gal / TF100

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by jjwalker View Post
    steel, steel, steel. psi is unimportant over 3k
    Okay, I won't stress about that then. There's plenty more to worried about!!

Thank you all for helping me to sort it out!

Under Construction In-ground Freeform 11K gal Pentair intelliflo Clean&Clear cartridge filter, EasyTouch w/IC40, Baja Mini Pebble interior - Sky Blue, TF-100