Hello from Las Vegas

bpdunlv

Apr 4, 2017
Las Vegas
Hi,

I just had my plaster done two weeks ago on my new pool. Now the fun begins to figure out how to take care of it. I would rather not pay $125+ for a pool guy when I feel I can figure this out on my own. Any advice is appreciated.

The guy who started up my pool put some liquid chlorine and some conditioner in. My salt generator cannot go in until 30 days after plaster so I don't want to mess with the water too much yet. They gave me some crappy test strips and it looks like my chlorine is low. I need to get a testing kit, I assume you guys recommend the TF-100 since that is what I am seeing a lot out there, but may have to take it to Leslie's in the meantime to make sure it is ok for the next two weeks.

thanks

Welcome to TFP, Bpduniv :handwave:

While you're figuring things out on the newly refinished pool, lets start by reading this: Pool School - Start-up New Plaster

And then this: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

You have a large pool, I would definitely get the TF-100 as that is the one with the most tests for your needs. Order it online from PoolSupplyWorld.com as it ships out of California and you'll have it faster than the shipping site in NC.

Bring back any questions you have and we'll do our best to help. You CAN do this without a PoolMan (cha-ching$!) The test kit alone will save tons be keeping you from putting in chemicals that pool store wants to $ell you!

Yippee :flower:

Thank you very much. I just ordered the kit but it said it will take a week to get here. I apologize if this is the wrong place to ask this, but I used a test strip and the Free Chlorine and Total Chlorine are almost at zero. The pH, ALK, TH look decent though. Do you think I should go to the pool store and get it tested or should I be okay for a week until I get the kit?

I would put an entire gallon of 8.25% bleach (or stronger 10-12% liquid chlorine avail at some pool stores) in every day and brush while you wait for the kit to arrive.

Just go to your local grocer or Walmart and buy a few jugs, nothing special- no splashless, no scents or "outdoor" types. Just plain old bleach, but fresh stuff from a store with good turn over in stock.

Yip :flower: