Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: To slam or not to slam?

1. Back To Top    #1

To slam or not to slam?

Forgive me...I neglected my pool.
    Leaves built up and stayed in for a while (kids broke the leaf rake!) and I wasn't checking my FC. I didn't winterize.

OK...I am cleaning it up and it has eaten some chlorine. Leaves are out, I am brushing, vacuuming, backwashing and testing. Water is fairly clear until I brush up the dirt. CL dropped twice after adding bleach. I can see that the dirt is turning gray/white as opposed to brown/green.

Salt 2600, FC 5.5, CC 0, PH 7.5, CYA 70, Temp is around 70F. I use Borates.

I am going to test again this evening. At what point do I know I should SLAM? Does it ever just stabilize after a few cycles of adding bleach like I am now? I added 256oz of Aldi bleach yesterday.

THANKS
    I promise I'll do better next winter
    28,000 Gallon, IG, Vinyl, SWG, Sand Filter
    Goldline Aqua Rite SWG
    Hayward Pro Series Sand Filter
    Flotec Pump
    Hayward Turbulent Flo Chamber

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: To slam or not to slam?

I think you already answered your own question ... SLAM! Follow the instructions on the SLAM page (link below) and don't let-up until you pass ALL 3 SLAM criteria to pass. Reminders:
    - Lower pH to 7.2 first
    - Based on your CYA (70), increase FC to SLAM/shock level of "28". Keep it there until you pass.

Good luck!

Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Pat, I dont know if that's a new meme or not, but I give it the HANDS DOWN best meme ever on TFP.

X 100.

No worries Johnmark, you're on the right trail, and you've got me laughing too. Sorry about your pool, but love your sense of humor.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by Johnmarkpainter View Post
    Forgive me...I neglected my pool.
    Leaves built up and stayed in for a while (kids broke the leaf rake!) and I wasn't checking my FC. I didn't winterize.

OK...I am cleaning it up and it has eaten some chlorine. Leaves are out, I am brushing, vacuuming, backwashing and testing. Water is fairly clear until I brush up the dirt. CL dropped twice after adding bleach. I can see that the dirt is turning gray/white as opposed to brown/green.

Salt 2600, FC 5.5, CC 0, PH 7.5, CYA 70, Temp is around 70F. I use Borates.

I am going to test again this evening. At what point do I know I should SLAM? Does it ever just stabilize after a few cycles of adding bleach like I am now? I added 256oz of Aldi bleach yesterday.

THANKS
    I promise I'll do better next winter
    The line I highlighted above in your post is your first clue. "Dirt" doesn't really bleach out, but algae will lose it's color when it dies. What you are seeing is dead algae.

Whenever the water looks "off", cloudy, or just "not right" as well as if your FC goes to 0 or a noticable increase in your daily chlorine demand is a sign that you should SLAM. If that is still uncertain for you, perform the OCLT and if it fails it is definitely time to SLAM.
    Dom - TFP Guide
    Intex 18' X 48" Ultra Frame AGP 6700 gallons | Two Intex CS8110 SWG's | Hayward Pro Series 21" Sandfilter | Hayward 1.5HP Power Flo Matrix pump | Hayward Thru-wall Skimmer | Wanda the Whale | 72 sq ft of Sungrabber Solar Panels with Hayward GLC-2P-A | Taylor K2006 Test Kit, Sample Sizer & Speed Stir | Click Here To Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

Dom's observation is spot on the money. That's dead algae.

I have a couple of observations.. Please read "The "ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School. You don't yet have a good idea of the SLAM process, either so also please read the SLAM article in Pool School.

Without pretty careful testing and dosing, your SLAM will be a failure.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks!

I do understand the process. I had doubts because I was quickly seeing the water improve with just getting the FC up to normal and I had zero CC. I turned off my SWG and if I don't go ahead and SLAM today, I'll do the OCLT tonight. We are getting a lot of rain today and tomorrow though so I'll likely just go ahead and SLAM.

Aldi here I come...
    28,000 Gallon, IG, Vinyl, SWG, Sand Filter
    Goldline Aqua Rite SWG
    Hayward Pro Series Sand Filter
    Flotec Pump
    Hayward Turbulent Flo Chamber