Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Filter Cartridge Replacement Interval

1. Back To Top    #1

Filter Cartridge Replacement Interval

The pool store (dirty word) recommend replacing the filter every year. That was recommended to me when I didn't know about the TFP method and spent $ with them.

Is there a recommended interval to replace the filter?

I've had mine installed for about 12 months and it looks good. I typically clean the filter every other month when the temps are cool and every other week when the pool is in use.
    FL, 15K gal (15x30 rectangle beach entry), IG Plaster, 2010, 1 skimmer, 4 returns, ecostar VSP, Pro Clean (PCCF-125) cartridge filter, IC20 SWG, Hayward Navigator floor suction cleaner, solar heat, waterfall, 2 lion head spouts, 1hp pump, TF-100 w/SpeedStir

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Filter Cartridge Replacement Interval

If they look good, how does your flow compare now to when they were new.....is the psi near the same?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

F,

You don't need to replace them unless they stop working..

Does your pressure go up by 25% each month, or do you just like to clean them that often?

Unless the pressure increases by 25% over the clean pressure, there is not real reason to clean them.

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP520 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2, added small 3 person Caldera Spa.

4. Back To Top    #4

FLPool,

I just replaced my filter cartridge this last weekend. My pressure never changed by much so I waited a year before changing it. When I pulled it out, it was very nasty. Since they run about $80 for mine (i.e., $6.66 /month), I decided to just throw it out instead of washing it clean. That way I am guaranteed the best filtering possible each swim season for the price of a nice meal out.
    19328 Gallon Above-Ground Pool. Clean&Clear Pentair Cartridge Filter. Opti-flo 2 Stage 1.5hp Pump. Dolphin Nautilus Plus "Flipper" Robot. Established April 2016. Taylor K-2006. Chlorine Based. 340gallon Marquis Spa. Bromine based. Established 2007.

5. Back To Top    #5

I'm on year 3 with the same filter cartridges, just spray them clean every few months depending on the weather. I noticed the last time around there are some cracks forming around the rubber ends so if those get larger it might be time to replace.
    18x36 Vinyl, sports depth, 8' Roman steps at each end. Hayward 1.5hp 2speed pump, catridge filter, 2 skimmers, no main drain, 3 SR Smith Treo LED lights

6. Back To Top    #6

The filter still looks new and my pressure is about the same when it was new.
    I clean the filter on a monthly basis just to keep it clean. The highest pressure rise I've seen was 10% before cleaning.

Today I started the hair net in the skimmer which method which will reduce my cleaning intervals if I go by the 25% rule.

Thanks for the replays. This is another example of how the pool store says the filter should be replaced every year to get your $.
    FL, 15K gal (15x30 rectangle beach entry), IG Plaster, 2010, 1 skimmer, 4 returns, ecostar VSP, Pro Clean (PCCF-125) cartridge filter, IC20 SWG, Hayward Navigator floor suction cleaner, solar heat, waterfall, 2 lion head spouts, 1hp pump, TF-100 w/SpeedStir

7. Back To Top    #7

My last set was 10 years old when I replaced. The media was fine but the end caps were no longer holding the filter in the manifold. Take care of them and they will last a good long time.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

8. Back To Top    #8

I replace my cartridges ever other year and use use a skimmer socks. Im sure some will argue that this is overkill but i can find my cartridges online for about $150. You can never have your water too clean.
    19,xxx gal gunite pool ,Fafco Solar, Pentair; Intelliflo VS Pump, EasyTouch Control System, Clean & Clear Plus Filter,ScreenLogic2, IntelliChlor Salt Chlorine Generator, 3 IntelliBrite 5g LED lights and 1 Color Cascade LED Light Bubbler. 3 deck jets and 1 sheer decent waterfall

9. Back To Top    #9

I doubt there is any difference in the filters capability after 2 or 10 years (if properly taken care of).
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater