TF-100 and Bromine pool

JimB

Jul 5, 2008
I'm assuming that I can't use the TF-100 to test for Bromine (except for the K-1000 kit that came with it.) But, will the pH, TA, CH tests be accurate? I'm trying to convert my brother to the joys of chlorine and the BBB method. He just went to a local pool store, which will remain nameless, and spent $200 on chemicals, i.e. a lot of alkalinity increaser and calicum increaser. I told him that his calcium level doesn't need to be so high because he has a vinyl pool. And he can increase his alkalinity with baking soda. And maybe save a few bucks. Am I on the right track here?

Thanks from the Northcoast

You are on the right track. He doesn't that expensive stuff. Baking soda is cheap. The pool stores want to make money from all the chemicals they sell. If you know what you need just go to Wal-Mart etc. and get it. They don't asked if it is going in the pool. They just sell you what you buy. A good test kit with the FAS dpd is essential.

Susan

You're preaching to the choir, here. This is what I'm trying to get thru to him. Yes it is an outdoor pool. But to my question....being that the pool is Bromine and my test kit is a TF-100, will the tests for pH, TA and CH be accurate. I need a second opinion to convince him on the savings.

Thanks

The reagents and procedures for pH, TA and CH are the same in chlorine and bromine test kits from Taylor so the TF100 will work correctly for such tests. Even the DPD powder in the FAS-DPD chlorine test is the same, but the FAS-DPD titrating drops are different. So you could just order the R-0872 to be able to measure bromine with your TF100.

I'm not sure why the reagent is different -- perhaps it contains the R-0003 built in so that Total Bromine is what gets measured. If that is the case, I would think that you could just add 5 drops of R-0003 (after adding DPD powder and before adding FAS-DPD reagent) and use your existing kit. Of course, I could be totally wrong about this. Perhaps Dave could ask Taylor about this.

Richard

I thought that also, but the ppm per drop is already 2.25 times higher for R-0872, so something else must be going on. The MSDS for R-0871 and R-0872 are identical except for the reagent number, so no clues there.

My outdoor pool is bromine (And its just fine FPM, :p) I just double my chlorine reading, and it seems to be accurate enough. I'm not sure about testing/reading CCs (Or the bromine equivalent) but I test anyways and dose as per the calculator, seems to be working great for me.

I love having an outdoor bromine pool. I load the brominator in the spring to get the total bromine up, then BBB with liquid chlorine for the rest of the summer, a little but every few days. Though my bather load is really small. (me, and another on occasion most of the time, and about 3 parties a year)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.