TF-100 just arrived! Check out my chemistry

Mar 28, 2017
Az
I just received my test kit today. In the time it took for it to be delivered, I was able to bring the pool back to almost crystal clear but its not yet perfect.

Can you guys help confirm what I've been learing in pool school? I essentially need to bring up CH by at least 20ppm, CYA up another 10 count and FC up at least 3.5.

Just ran the test 4/4/17 at 8:30pm. Had added 1-gallon of 10% liquid chlorine almost exactly 24hrs prior.

FC) <.5
CC) .5
pH) 7.5
TA) 9
CH) 200ppm
CYA) <20

----> check out my intro thread
Hello from Scottsdale, Arizona <----

Dont worry about the CH right now, I imagine it will be up in no time in AZ. What is your fill water CH there?

If you are about to start normal operations, I would suggest at least 40 Cya, and Chlorine as required for that level.

I'll test it in a few minutes.

One of the challenges I have is that the CYA test didnt register any readings below the lowest marking on the tube. Assuming the CYA is zero and we're shooting for 40, I'll need about 107oz of stabilizer.

I'm going to start with 4lbs of Clorox Stabilizer since thats about 64oz and conveniently exactly one container. Its less than what I think is need but almost perfect if CYA was 15 and we're trying to raise by 25.

Filled to the top until my toes got a little wet.

I dont think I'd be cosuming as much chlorine as I have been if my CYA was high enough where only a little water in the tube hindered my view of the dot.

By "lowest marking on the tube" i was referring to the 20 count line on the view tube. Sorry for the confusion

Ah understood. I just wanted to make sure. I saw that you said the water was a little cloudy so you could certainly have gone through chlorine if there was something growing in the water with very high cya.

Eat up my precious!

CAC81DED-E907-46C7-B05D-68F88592630F.jpg

8BAB8ABC-E5FF-467B-92A5-56C1C3D7595E.jpg

3C4448D0-5BE9-4C14-81C4-F1E986A7DA6A.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You mentioned you did the testing at 8:30pm last night. Did you do the CYA test inside or outside?

The CYA test should be done outside on a sunny day, your back to the sun, holding the tube at waist level. Try not to stare at the black dot - instead, just glance at it, look away, add a bit more of the solution and glance at it again. You can also pour the solution back into the dispensing bottle and do the test again. This was especially helpful to me when first doing to test - as it was difficult for me to determine the CYA level at first.

Now that you have the CYA hanging in the pool, you can squeeze the sock every so often to help dissolve faster. Dose your CL now for what you think your target CYA is (the CYA level after all added is dissolved). Adding 64oz stabilizer will raise CYA 24 in a 20,000gallon pool.

I did the CYA test inside directly under a can light in my kitchen. The solution in the dispensing bottle was perfectly clear so I ran it again and got the same results. It does make sense to have low CYA since the water is relatively new and has only seen liquid chlorine but I could be wrong there.

I made the assumption CYA was between 5 & 15 when calculating what 64oz of stabilizer would do. The plan is to target 30 and work my way up to 40, worst case is 40 right off the bat if CYA was truly 15.

Here's the expanded directions for the CYA test: Pool School - CYA
#5 describes being outside with back to the sun. Doing the test as suggested there will lead to a more accurrate and consistent result.

Here in the desert, a CYA of 40 or 50 is a good starting point. Then see what your daily CL consumption is and adjust from there. I was running at 40 until August of last year. I went on vacation for 2 weeks and used tri-chlor tabs while away. CYA increased to almost 50 during my absense. Having the CYA at 50 helped reduce my CL consumption a little.

Yeah I saw #5 and since it was late into the night, I found the brightest source of artificial light I could as recommended. Please note I was giddy like a little school girl opening the kit and there was no way I could wait for the morning!

How many tri-chlor tabs did you use and can you provide info on them? I have a lot of time planned away from home this summer so the idea is to have a low CYA and let it creep up with tri-chlor while helping keep FC in line.

I spent most of last night searching for threads on CYA levels in AZ and found some good stuff. Thank you for the pointer!

I certainly understand getting a new toy and couldn't wait until morning. Just wanted to point you in the direction of that article in case you hadn't seen it.

I think you're headed in the right direction on keeping the CYA on the low side since you plan on being away from home for a few times this summer. What I did was bring the pool up to SLAM level for my CYA reading using liquid chlorine just before leaving and also floated a few tabs. A friend stopped by about half way through the 2 weeks I was away and added a gallon of chlorine for me. I returned to a clear pool, pH in range and CL just a little higher than I normally keep it.

The trick is to get a baseline average of how much CL you use daily. Then account for how many days you will be gone at one stretch, add a couple extra days to that (just in case) and dose accordingly. If only gone for a few days, bumping the CL up enough above your normal target dose should work - no need to add tabs (and the CYA associated with them. Just remember, CL will burn off a little faster the higher it is above target.

Yeah - every pool is different. But it's always good to have an idea of what others in your area are using.

I tested again tonight and CYA is exactly at 30. FC at 9.

Adding another 77oz of 10% liquid chlorine to bring FC up to 12 tonight. I think CYA will continue to rise over the next few days and hopefully settle at 40. If so, I'll bring up the FC to 16 and hold for the SLAM process.

Woooo finally managed to test in the daytime!

FC) 10ppm
CC) .5
CYA) 30

I'm going to bump up the FC to 12 with 51oz of CL today. Since FC loss from the prior day was <2ppm and included a full day in the sun, I'm going to perform my first OCLT starting tonight. I feel confident FC loss will be <1ppm and I can end the SLAM.

Next step will be to start testing the CL consumption rate and figure out where I want the CYA to be.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.