Gas heater sizing for 28' AGP

amy6152

Apr 4, 2017
Rochester, NY
Soon-to-be owners of a 28' AGP. Buying a gas heater because we want to extend the swimming season from 5/1 - 9/31 in Rochester, NY (average temperature in May is 57 degrees). The salesman who sold us the pool insists 125 BTU gas heater is sufficient. He says online calculators are for IGPs which require more BTUs to heat. I'm not convinced. Is he correct? A higher BTU heater isn't that much more expensive and I will kick myself (or him) if that's not right. Thanks!

Soon-to-be owners of a 28' AGP. Buying a gas heater because we want to extend the swimming season from 5/1 - 9/31 in Rochester, NY (average temperature in May is 57 degrees). The salesman who sold us the pool insists 125 BTU gas heater is sufficient. He says online calculators are for IGPs which require more BTUs to heat. I'm not convinced. Is he correct? A higher BTU heater isn't that much more expensive and I will kick myself (or him) if that's not right. Thanks!

Congrats on the new pool and Welcome to TFP!

As they say, go BIG or go home! :wink: Tell that sales guy to shut up and take your money, just take it...

Seriously though, if you are willing to spend the extra $$ , your gas lines and meter can handle the flows required, then it wont hurt anything. You will just be able to heat the pool faster.

From my past experience above ground is harder to heat as you have a radiant surface all the way around it. I have one customer with a 30' pool and a 125k btu heater and she wants it replaced with a 400k unit that will actually heat the pool. We did a couple pools that we put a 1/2" thick double faced with foil on the wall to help hold the heat, that seemed to help

A 125kBTU gas heater will heat your pool. A 400kBTU heater will heat it about 3 times faster. Its all about how you want to use the pool and how much gas you want to burn.

I have a 75kBTU heat pump that will get my above ground pool into the mid 80's no problem. It takes it a while to get there but I got the heat pump to maintain pool temp not to heat it quickly from time to time.

No matter the heater you get the performance of that heater will be greatly improved if you keep a solar cover on the pool while you are heating it to stop evaporation.

I didn't have my pool running until June of last year so I don't know about May. I had no problems keeping it warm in September. I will say I keep it covered with a solar cover if I'm not using it. I put my cover on a reel and it takes no more than a min or two to get in on and off by myself.

Honestly if you are going with gas the cost difference in the heaters from 125-400k really isn't all that much. If you are running natural gas get the biggest heater the meter and gas line out to equipment can handle or your budget will allow. A 125k heater will heat your pool sure but doing a brand new install it can't hurt to go bigger on a gas heater if its possible.

Economically gas heaters aren't the best choice if you plan on maintaining your pool at a set temp for the entire season. They are cheapest to run in an on demand situation like heating it up for the weekend and leaving it cool during the week. Natural gas being as cheap as well as the cost of the equipment helps offset that argument though.

I would really look into a heat pump if you are planning on burning propane for heat.

Thanks for the advice. I think I'm going to ask the gas plumber how big I can go and see from there. As for the heat pump, they're not as efficient heating with colder outdoor temps, so again we're back to that extending the season problem. Living where I do, I'm really excited to be able to swim for a longer time.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.