Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How can I drain this?

1. Back To Top    #1

How can I drain this?

Hi everyone! It's getting to be that time again! This is my first season opening the pool. What are some suggestions for draining the nastiness that's accumulated on the cover over the winter?

Intex Ultra Frame 24x52 AGPIntex sand filter #128645HTH 6-way test kitPool was built and filled week of 6/24/16

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How can I drain this?

They make small sump pumps - very small/light that can sit on top and pull the water off. Or even a small pump made for fountains will work if you have one to get most of it off.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

I bought my submersible pump from Harbor Freight. I've never had any issues in 3 years, but if I do they are cheap enough to recycle and buy another.

~ 18.5' x 36.5' inground Grecian pool with vinyl liner
    ~ approximately 23,000 gallons
    ~ AquaRite Salt Water Generator cell size t-9
    ~ 1.5 HP Hayward Pump and Hayward Sand Filter
    ~ TF-100 test kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Since that collected water is higher than the ground, all you have to do is put a hose in there, start a siphon and lay the other end down on the ground. It will empty on its own quickly.

Just don't suck on the hose end so much you get a mouth full of that stuff. Just enough to get it started into the hose and quickly lay it down low. FREE!

How to Drain the Water from Your Above Ground Pool - YouTube
    Yip
    Maddie :) 12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Skippy's Pool Cooler --> Skippy's New Fountain Our Build --> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard

5. Back To Top    #5

To start the siphon put the hose in the water of the cover and pump water from your outdoor water spiqot for a few seconds and then disconnect it form the spigot quickly. Water should flow.
    Inground 22k gallon gunite 15x31 main pool, 15x7 wading pool/sunning deck, hot tub/with overflow (9' octagon with limestone top) & slide NSWG, Aqua Blue Pebble Sheen
    Filter dual cartridge Sta-rite 450sq/ft, TF-100 Test Kit
    Heater Raypak 2100 400k btu cupro-nickel exchanger
    Auto pool cover, Polaris 280 auto pool cleaner, Jandy AqualinkRS8 Remote Control System

6. Back To Top    #6

I just got it flowing using the siphon method. Thanks!

Intex Ultra Frame 24x52 AGPIntex sand filter #128645HTH 6-way test kitPool was built and filled week of 6/24/16

7. Back To Top    #7

CLEAR TUBE, don't want any in your mouth. I have (2) clear 3/8 tube for this inside of left over plastic elec conduit.
    13700 gal, 32'x16'x54" AG oval, vinyl, Echo Canyon II, 8500 series, Narrow Yard, Safety Fence & Stair, Sta-Rite Crystal Flow T-210WF, 44 GPM, Hayward SP1580TL 1HP Pump, Aqua Luminator, Festiva wedding cake steps, March 2006, TFT-100, Speed-Stir, Sample Sizer. Avatar Credit: TJ Townsend

8. Back To Top    #8

Hey, that is genius!
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

9. Back To Top    #9

Hey JoeSelf- Great tip! I shall recommend clear tubing from now on

Thanks!!

Yippee
    Maddie :) 12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Skippy's Pool Cooler --> Skippy's New Fountain Our Build --> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard

10. Back To Top    #10

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by Ledvedder View Post
    Hi everyone! It's getting to be that time again! This is my first season opening the pool. What are some suggestions for draining the nastiness that's accumulated on the cover over the winter?

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk
    You should really be draining/pumping that water off as it accumulates. I pump off my cover at every thaw.
    Dom - TFP Guide
    Intex 18' X 48" Ultra Frame AGP 6700 gallons | Two Intex CS8110 SWG's | Hayward Pro Series 21" Sandfilter | Hayward 1.5HP Power Flo Matrix pump | Hayward Thru-wall Skimmer | Wanda the Whale | 72 sq ft of Sungrabber Solar Panels with Hayward GLC-2P-A | Taylor K2006 Test Kit, Sample Sizer & Speed Stir | Click Here To Become a TFP Supporter!

11. Back To Top    #11

When I had an AGP, I left a hose in the pool all winter long.

I attached a brick to the end of the hose to keep it submerged. The hose then runs down the side of the pool and out.

But the trick is....have the hose drop to the ground then back up to a shepherds hook (or something to hold the hose up) before it runs out to the drainage area. The reason is, when the siphon is finished and it's sucking air, enough water stays in the raised portion of the hose. When you want to start the siphon again, drop the hose off the shepherds hook, water begins moving (starting the siphon). Remember to put it back on the hook before the water is drained so you can start it again next time.

You can put a big loop in the line when hanging it off the hook.

Another thing I recently bought for siphoning gas is called the Super Siphon. It has a brass ball in the end of it. You shake the end in the water and it moves water up the line - eventually starting the siphon. There is a Pittsburgh company that will sell any size hose. I bought 1/2" for siphoning gas from cans into my vehicles.
    18'x36' vinyl - 24k gal - Intelliflo 3hp VSP - Pentair C&C 420 cartridge filter - IC40 Salt - EasyTouch 8 - ScreenLogic - Raypak 406btu NG heater - Intellibrite 5G ligths - 4 deck jets - sheer descent - X-Stream Slide 2 - TF100 kit - opened spring 2017

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by domct203 View Post
    You should really be draining/pumping that water off as it accumulates. I pump off my cover at every thaw.
    Very true. I'll have to keep that in mind for next winter.

13. Back To Top    #13

You'll want to leave "some" water on the cover for weight, to prevent the cold winds from ruining the cover. If it flaps around, you'll get one good season out of it. If it's not flapping around you'll get two seasons out of it.
    Doughboy 12' x 20' Saphire semi-AG, Installed 2012
    Waterway 1.5 HP 2 speed, 100 sqft cartridge filter
    Aprox 7000 Gal, Full sun, 85K heat pump,
    TF-100 test kit