Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Do I really need to wait a month before using the pool?

1. Back To Top    #1

Do I really need to wait a month before using the pool?

Hi, our pool is supposed to be plastered and filled next Wednesday. I am a little confused when reading the thread about new plaster on Pool School - do I really need to wait 3-4 weeks before using the pool?

Thanks!

DSCN0418.jpg

PS I know I am supposed to add details to my signature but I don't have the contract on me right now so I don't know the type of equipment. We'll be using the TFP method though, no heater, and no SWG.

- - - Updated - - -

One more question - I want to purchase a solar "bubble cover" for the pool; can I put that on as soon as the pool is filled, or should I wait until after the first few weeks?

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Do I really need to wait a month before using the pool?

What does the PB say?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

I haven't seen them in a while so haven't had the opportunity to talk with them about it. Have always valued the information I've gotten from this site though.......

4. Back To Top    #4

You want to take the advice of the builder for warranty purposes. I've heard some say to wait 28 days as they want the pool to cure and chemicals stabilize. They may not want you swimming and then having to add high levels of CL. My builder said I could get in the pool immediately once it was filled when I remodeled a few years ago. I would suspect if you have to do a lot of brushing and the pool is cloudy, you wouldn't want to until it cleared up. My pool was clear immediately. My PH and TA were all over the place the first week though, so that may be an issue for some as well. I waited 30 days before turning on the SWG because it can cause stains.
    36,000 gallon IG Gunite (40 x 20), 1.5 HP Hayward pump, Pentair Nautilus NS-48 DE filter, 2 skimmers, 12 - (2 x 20) Fafco Solar Panels (Goldline controller not hooked up yet), Hayward Swimpure Plus SWG, Blue Pearl Robot cleaner. New Dr. Wellness X-12 standalone Lifestyle Spa.

5. Back To Top    #5

Is it plaster, quartz or pebble? What kind of start up is the PB planning? We swam in our pebble pool before it was full. Our PB said jump in.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks Mac! Hopefully I can catch them sometime this week and speak with them about it. They've been wonderful but we have been overwhelmed with rain this Winter and a (conservatively) 8-week project has turned into 5 months. We've seen a break in weather and I know they've been busy the last few weeks and haven't been around. 28 days from next week would be mid-May I can't complain I suppose, I will have all Summer with the pool.

Thanks again!

- - - Updated - - -

Pooldv, it's just regular old plaster. I honestly haven't been able to speak with the pool builder in the last few weeks; they just happened to call a few days ago and left a message saying plaster would be next week (it's been ready for plaster since January!). I've been hoping to catch them sometime this week, but thought I'd get a jump start and read up on TFP... sounds like I need to speak with them first though

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by pooldv View Post
    Is it plaster, quartz or pebble? What kind of start up is the PB planning? We swam in our pebble pool before it was full. Our PB said jump in.
    So did we, with our quartz and there isn't one indication of it to this day. Waiting 28-30 days is IMO, overkill to the extreme.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

8. Back To Top    #8

I think any waiting recommendation is more important for regular plaster. I too suggest asking the builder.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

9. Back To Top    #9

I had my pool built last year and finished in September. They plastered on a Thursday and filled Thursday and Friday. Pool company didn't come out until Monday to do startup and chemicals. My kids were in it for awhile over the weekend and I did too for a bit, but it was cold. Holding back 3 kids from jumping into a brand new pool filled with water isn't as easy as it sounds - haha. Or, me for that matter.
    36,000 Gallon Inground (IG) Gunite Pool with Spa and 12" tanning ledge | White Plaster | Cartridge Filter | Hayward Single Speed Pump (x2) | 400k BTU Hayward Heater | Hayward ProLogic Automation | Taylor K2006 Test Kit | In-pool Cleaner | August / September 2016 Build Date | Build Thread