Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Hello from Apache Junction AZ

1. Back To Top    #1

Hello from Apache Junction AZ

I have been reading posts on this forum for some time now. After struggling with algae and spending a TON of money on chemicals, I recently added Borax (after 1/2 drain of pool). My pool is sparkling, but I"m having difficulty getting my AK and Ph where they need to be and getting CC back down even though I shocked it yesterday with Leslies Fresh and Clear (2 lbs potassium peroxymonosulfate-1lb treats 10,000 gal). Here are my current numbers:

FC: 1
    TC: 3
    CC: 2
    Ph: 7.0 (maybe slightly less)
    AK: 140
    CH: 280
    CYA: 20
    Temperature: 78

I am currently running the aerator to try to get Ph up, unsure whether I should add more muriatic acid to bring AK down as Ph is so low...Any suggestions?
    15,000 gallon, in-ground, gunite, kidney shaped, chlorine (trichlor) pool. Pentair WhisperFlo 1 hp pump, sand filter-sand replaced 2016. Taylor K-2005 test kit. Recently went to Borax after fighting with algae. Water sparkles!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Hello from Apache Junction AZ

Hi there Vonni, glad to have you here at TFP.

You need a better FC test first off.. your Taylor kit is not one that we recommend because its missing the FAS-DPD test for FC/CC. You can order just the one test though from TFTestkits.net and it will bring your kit up to snuff.
    TFTestkits.net

Do NOT put any Muriatic Acid in because it will seriously lower your pH below the low level it already is. We can worry about TA last.

The addition of that Fresh and Clear was unfortunate. I hope it didn't cost too much? It is messing with your CC reading. The only thing your pool needs is chlorine and cya. Do you still have algae in the pool??

Bring your CYA up to 30ppm and then use liquid chlorine to dose your pool up based on this chart- FC/CYA Chart

Your continued use of trichlor pucks is what causes your pH to get so low. That is potentially very hard on your plaster. Borax will NOT kill algae. Mixing pool store advice with our methods just won't work and wastes more money.

Have you read PoolSchool? Start with this-ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry and then move on to this -https://www.troublefreepool.com/content/139-recommended-pool-chemicals

Then for an idea of where to keep your pool levels --https://www.troublefreepool.com/content/134-recommended-levels
    Maddie :) 12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Skippy's Pool Cooler --> Skippy's New Fountain Our Build --> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Hello from Apache Junction AZ

Welcome to the TFP forum!
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!