Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New test.

1. Back To Top    #1

New test.

Hello all. I drained about 1/2 of the water out of my pool due to high ch other levels. As it did lower some the math says to drain another 53%. I can afford to keep draining and refilling. Is there something I can add to get the levels in check? I also have very hard water if that comes into play. Thank you.

fc 4.5
    cc .5
    ph 7.8
    ta 190
    ch 250
    cya 55
    33' round above ground. Sand filter.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New test.

I redid my cya test in a little better lighting and it was around 55.

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

That water does not indicate it is hard (high in calcium....mainly) Are you filling from a well?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

No. Just hard water in general. It was so high in calcium before because I had too many tablets in it all winter thinking more was better in the winter months. It ended up costing me. Now it is bleach all the way.

5. Back To Top    #5

Yep, you need to stick with bleach from this point forward. Your CYA is on the high side already so you don't want to add any Dichlor or Trichlor which will raise your CYA. Cal Hypo will raise CH. Your CH is okay now but you don't want that get out of whack as before. Stay off the power, granules, hard stuff and stay with liquid bleach.

Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

With a 55 CYA you need to maintain ~7 - 9 PPM Chlorine. You are too low right now.

You need to stay within recommended levels at all times. Watch your PH and TA as well.

Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart
    36,000 gallon IG Gunite (40 x 20), 1.5 HP Hayward pump, Pentair Nautilus NS-48 DE filter, 2 skimmers, 12 - (2 x 20) Fafco Solar Panels (Goldline controller not hooked up yet), Hayward Swimpure Plus SWG, Blue Pearl Robot cleaner. New Dr. Wellness X-12 standalone Lifestyle Spa.

6. Back To Top    #6

So with that being said. How much bleach should I add?

7. Back To Top    #7

https://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html

Time for you to figure that out now! Plug in pool size at the bottom to get your gallons then plug gallons back in at the top.

NOW column is your 4.5 and Target is where you want it to be.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

8. Back To Top    #8

So with the high cya I should have free chlorine around 7 to 9?

9. Back To Top    #9

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by Cduke88 View Post
    So with the high cya I should have free chlorine around 7 to 9?

Welcome to TFP! Glad you found your way here.

Short answer, yes. With a tested CYA of 55, round it up and assume you have CYA=60. Per the Chlorine / CYA Chart your absolute minimum FC should be 4ppm and NEVER lower. Your target minimum should be between 7-9ppm. If you know your daily FC burn off is 2-3ppm, then aim and dose to 10ppm and add if below 7ppm. You will need to do this test and add daily.

10. Back To Top    #10

In the Industry

Okay, this thread needs to take a deep breath.

1. In a climate like Texas, I would not call that CYA too high. TFP would suggest 40-50 as standard so, since the accuracy of the test is around + - 10 ppm, you cannot safely say that a newbie report of 55 ppm is too high.

I can afford to keep draining and refilling. Is there something I can add to get the levels in check? I also have very hard water if that comes into play
    I assume you mean "can't afford, right?

3. What levels do you need to "get in check"?.....I don't see any real problems with the numbers you post
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

11. Back To Top    #11

My CYA is 40 this a.m. and headed up to 50 by this afternoon. I guarantee it'll be headed to 60 mid-July!
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

12. Back To Top    #12

Right. Cant afford. I just thought the cya was supposed to be lower. That's all.

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh View Post
    Okay, this thread needs to take a deep breath.

1. In a climate like Texas, I would not call that CYA too high. TFP would suggest 40-50 as standard so, since the accuracy of the test is around + - 10 ppm, you cannot safely say that a newbie report of 55 ppm is too high.
    He mentioned that he drained half his pool and his CYA was 55 after draining, so I assumed his CYA and CH was high which caused him to drain. For that reason along with him just recently draining is why I mentioned that he should stop adding Dichlor, Trichlor or Cal Hypo moving forward. Sounds like that's the source of his problem? His wording wasn't real clear, so I'm not sure what he means when he says the math tells him to drain another 53%?
    36,000 gallon IG Gunite (40 x 20), 1.5 HP Hayward pump, Pentair Nautilus NS-48 DE filter, 2 skimmers, 12 - (2 x 20) Fafco Solar Panels (Goldline controller not hooked up yet), Hayward Swimpure Plus SWG, Blue Pearl Robot cleaner. New Dr. Wellness X-12 standalone Lifestyle Spa.

14. Back To Top    #14

cduke - look at the recommended pool levels here... Pool School - Recommended Levels

15. Back To Top    #15

Thanks guys. I am sorry if I am confusing anyone. I am figuring this out more and more everyday. I think my levels are in reason now looking at everything. With the higher cya I just added more bleach to raise my fc.

16. Back To Top    #16

TFP Guide

No need to be sorry, we'll help you through it. It seems like there's a ton to learn when you first get started, but in no time, you'll have a good handle on what you need to do.
    8,500gal plaster in-ground with attached spa, two floor drains, one skimmer. Chlorine, City Water.
    Pentair WhisperFlo 1hp Pump, MagnaTek Midcentury EPlus motor, Pentair CleanNClear 200SF Cartridge filter, Purex Triton MiniMax 250 Gas Heater, Pentair SunLite, AutoFill.
    Kreepy Krauly Cruiser, TF-100 with SpeedStir. :D