Help me pick the right size pump and filter.

Apr 4, 2017
Walnut Ridge
So I just finished a whole house renovation and moved into our lovely new home. Only problem is the pool is an absolute swamp and I'm pretty sure I'll be better off just replacing the pump and filter. It has been 7 years since their has been any work done or maintenance on the pool at all. The pump will turn on but leaks like crazy, also won't hold prime. I can't find any distinguishing marks so a rebuild would be questionable at best. The multiport housing is cracked and the filter body itself is an obsolete brand so planning on just cutting my losses and starting fresh.

The pool is a 16 x32 gunnite pool with a shallow depth of 3 feet and a deep depth of 9.5ish. Currently so green it is hard to assure an accurate measurement. I have 1 skimmer with 3 returns. I'll try to get a more accurate sketch when I get home but I was wanting to say under 40 feet of head but could be wrong. Plumbing going into the pump and filter is 1.5 inch. I stopped by a local pool supply place but only one there seemed quite unsure of her recommendation so I thought I would see what you guys had to say. I would prefer to stay with a sand filter but other than that I'm open to suggestion. Budget friendlyish would be nice but don't want to just buy the cheapest thing possible either.

Untitled.jpg
Ok this is what happens when you give an idiot MS paint and free time. So it looks like I'm closer to 50 feet of head than I originally thought. I should be around the 20-25K gallon mark. The pool supply person suggested a 22 inch sand filter with a 1.5 hp motor, is that enough? I know the existing filter is much larger but didn't know if this was ok or if I should shop a different company.

Pentair has rebates right now on pumps and filters. You can save a lot of money by buying them on line and either installing them yourself or paying just the labor to a pool repair person directly.

I am running a very similar size pool on a 1½ Hp Pentair SuperFlo VS right now and loving it. You can pay a bit more for an Intelliflo VS if you're concerned but I think that would be overkill.

A full rated 1.5 HP pump is adequate for that size pool. Probably the best buy is a 2 speed but folks on the forum who get the VS pumps really love them.

I don't think the VS is cost effective and I know the 2 speed is.

If you are going to get a single speed, I would get a 1 HP to save electricity.

I strongly suggest you get a bigger filter.....at least 24" and 30" would be fine. You will not regret the little bit of extra money.

Ok this is what happens when you give an idiot MS paint and free time. So it looks like I'm closer to 50 feet of head than I originally thought.
How did you calculate the head loss for the pool? It is related to the length of pipe but NOT equal to it. It depends on the pump, filter, fittings and everything else that is part of the plumbing. But it really doesn't matter anyway.

If I can use a 1/2 HP pump on my pool, you can easily get by with an up rated 1 HP two speed pump or even smaller but it is hard to find a two speed pump less than 1 HP.

BTW, where is Walnut Ridge (i.e. state). It can make a difference for the economics of the pump chosen.

My SuperFlo was $690 with tax shipped and I will get $200 back from my electrical utilty and $50 from Pentair making it $440. My utilty only gives the rebate on VS pumps. Add in another $180 for Z-Wave relays and we're at $620 but this is for convenience and automation and not necessarily required as the pump is programmable without external control.

I like that I can run it for hours at 1400RPM (could go lower, I'm still fine tuning it) at 0.200kW, then bump it to full speed (2.35kW) for a bit to clean and have it run at 2200RPM (0.5kW) for a nice gentle cascade off the spa into the pool. That is much nicer than it was before at full speed and worth the price of admission for us.

Could we save up-front (most likely long term as well) costs by going with a 2-speed? Depending on which 2-speed pump you get you could be laying down between just under $200 to over $400. After the rebate we're real close to the upper end Pentair 2-speed as it is so the answer is a "maybe".

It will all depend on your needs and availability of rebates in your area. Your pool looks to not need anything beyond a 2-speed to operate efficiently because it doesn't seem to have a spa or any other water features so weigh the options and compare costs, considering available rebates and then decide.

Hope that helps clarify. You can also get Mark's pump spread sheet and do some cost comparisons yourself.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

How did you calculate the head loss for the pool? It is related to the length of pipe but NOT equal to it
Ok didn't know that, I was mostly going with length of pipe.

BTW, where is Walnut Ridge (i.e. state)
It is in North East Arkansas. Right now I was planning on ordering online and installing myself. I'm pretty good with plumbing and electricity so was leaning toward amazon purchase. If this is a mistake please talk me out of it.

I've been looking at Hayward and Pentair 2 speed and variable speed pumps. Will I see a major advantage with a variable speed over a 2 speed? Most of the ones I've looked at there is only a few hundred dollar difference. I don't want to throw money away if it isn't really necessary but if that would be the best route I'm on board.

I hope my post above helps in this regard. What works good for me and others may not be best for you. I thank Mark and Dave for setting me down a better path in regard to recommendations I give.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Actually it does quite a bit, sorry I started my post before yours showed up and didn't take the time to look before hitting submit. My utility company currently has rebates of 300 for a VS pump and 175 for a 2 speed. After rebate there is only around a 50 dollar difference so I may go with the VS.

I was looking at this pump
http://www.amazon.com/Pentair-34200...491488266&sr=8-1&keywords=1.5+hp+pool+pump+vs

Paired with this filter
http://www.amazon.com/Hayward-S270T...qid=1491492904&sr=8-1&keywords=27+sand+filter

If anything seems wrong or if you have better suggestions please feel free to tell me.

Your utilities rebates look pretty good. Are you sure if that is installed by a professional? You want to do that anyhow for warranty purposes and the cost is really not a consideration in choosing because it is basically the same no matter which pump you end up getting but if you are doing the installation Pentair cuts the warranty and your rebate may be less.

I have that pump. It is available at PoolSupply4Less for $638 shipped. IDK if you'd pay tax or not. I had to because I and they are in CA. To get amazon store 12 month financing I got amazon to PM. YMMV.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If all you are running is the filter a VS pump will cost you a lot more than a 2-speed pump up front and you probably won't ever get that money back in electrical savings. In states where you can get a utility rebate for VS pumps you can often times get a similar rebate for 2-speed pumps. Unless you plan on adding a heater or SWG I don't think you will see any noticeable advantage with a VS pump.

The links in mas985 signature are very useful. Like he said a 1hp 2-speed pump should be plenty for your pool. Aside from being expensive a VS pump will also work very nicely if you go that route.

There is nothing wrong with buying on amazon and installing yourself, sometimes knowing where or who you intend on buying from can change peoples recommendations. Once you pick a model do a google search and shop around. A lot of times on the pumps and filters amazon isn't the cheapest option online.

As for the filter bigger is better. If you are getting new definitely get bigger than 22".

While I agree, I paid to have my pump installed recently not because I couldn't do it or even for the warranty for that matter. I looked at my existing installation and saw that several pipes would need to be re-routed because of the crappy initial installation piping layout and said to myself, "I don't want to do this!" Plus I would have to make a trip to HomeDepot or Lowes as I don't have 2" schedule 40 PVC and fittings just laying about either. My time is too valuable for taking on such things anymore. At some point you get to where it is better to do what you do well and to pay others to do what they do well. It took the installer nearly 4 hours to do this job due to re-routing the pipes which was well worth what I paid to not have to hassle with it.

If I had been the owner when this pool was installed, the PB would have been re-doing that piping before final payment for sure but of course I probably would have just subbed it all out myself and it would be the plumber not getting a final payment..

Ok I know our utility company doesn't care who installs it, all you have to do is prove you bought it and they reserve the right to actually inspect that it was installed. I'll call around to a few pool companies to see how much installation is to see if I would be better off with the warranty or just an extended protection plan from amazon. My father in law ran a pool service at one time so I know how to do it. Some of the local pool companies have a history of greatly overcharging for items but there are a few new ones worth checking with.

Wow I should refresh before posting, good info. If I go installed by pool company so I can get the pentair rebates as well as energy company I will actually be able to get the VS for cheaper than the 1 speed I first looked at. I think I've decided on a 27 inch sand from hayward.

Sammy you may have a point about just not wanting to do it. In the last 4 months I have taken way to many rooms down joist and studs, run what felt like a mile of new pipe, replaced every electrical and plumbing fixture in my house. If it isn't to bad I may just let them handle install.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.