Hayward AquaRite info not showing on AquaLink RS All Button

Apr 4, 2017
Cypress, TX
Original pool with AquaLink RS control system was converted to salt years ago. When Hayward (originally Goldline) SWG was installed, the tech "upgraded" the AquaLink RS with a module that could read the SWG salt levels and allow me to super chlorinate all from the AquaLink RS controller mounted in the house.

This has worked flawlessly for at least 8 years, but now I can no longer see anything on the AquaLink RS about the SWG.

What should I check? How should I troubleshoot?

What are the diagnostic readings on the aquarite box?

Does AquaRite say "Remotely Controlled"?

Did some more digging and decided to open up the Jandy AquaLink RS Control Panel. Found what I think is the correct wire (gray) going from the AquaRite (1st picture) over to the AquaLink. Looks like that is my problem, since it's not connected to anything.

Where should it connect?

I initially thought it should go to the black wire (3rd picture) that is also not connected, but now think that is the 2nd controller that is beside the hot tub. That controller isn't working either & have no idea where it should be connected.

Thoughts?View attachment 5895720170409_145212.jpg20170409_145243.jpg

Anyone have any suggestions?

Just noticed you post. Have you been able to get it working? The grey cable has you did see has 4 conductors in them. If you trace the other end back to the Jandy box is it connected to anything? Be careful when in the Jandy box. There is a high voltage area and a low voltage area. The cable should run in on the low voltage area and up to the Jandy board. If it is connected, it will be connected to the reddish orange 4 pin connector. This is the RS485 communications connector. Seeing the picture of your Jandy, you have an older version, but we still need to know the revision of the Jandy software. As for the end you pulled out of the SWG, it will connect to the same type of connector on the SWG. It in the upper right hand corner. If you look on line for the AquaRite manual, the older manuals will tell you how to connect the SWG to the Jandy. Now the one thing that might be a problem is that if you Jandy software is rev L or newer, the 2 will not work with each other.

This is hat you might want to do.
1) Make the RS485 connection between the Jandy and AquaRite.
2) See if the 2 device will work with each other. If the Jandy shows you the AquaRite in the device list, without the words (NOT COMPATIBLE), you are all set. IF NOT COMPATIBLE go to step 3. If the Jandy doesn't see it, check your wiring.
3) Set your AL to AL-5 on your SWG. If you don't have a AL-% you are done and see next paragraph.
4) Power cycle your system and see if you see in the device list AquaPure. If so you are done. If not, see next paragraph.

Since you are reading the paragraph, the 2 devices didn't work together. If you look in this form, you will see people talking about the Chlorinator Translator. You might want to check that out.

Thank you so much for your reply! I'm just now back on the forum.

This worked at one time and no upgrades have been done, so I think the whole "NOT COMPATIBLE" issue and software revision is a non factor. I believe it's a connection issue for sure, but have been unable to find any documentation on how it's supposed to be connected.

The 2nd picture shows a gray wire (with orange, black, white, brown & blue) coming from my AquaRite Salt system to the Jandy box. You are saying that this needs to be connected to the reddish orange connector in the Jandy box (directly above the "Reset" button) on the Jandy control panel. Is that correct?

If so, there is already something connected to it (green, yellow, black, red wires - see 3rd picture)

If this is not correct, maybe if you could give me the connector designation (ex. TP30, J14, etc.)

Color codes could be off so just make sure wiring is set from pin 1 to pin 1, 2 to 2, etc. BUT (big but) before doing so, make sure you perform these steps in the following order. Jandy could lock out all SWCGs unless this is followed to the letter:
1) Program the SWCG to emulation mode AL-5 and let run for a minute or two
2) Power down both the SWCG and the RS-8 from the circuit breaker
3) Make your connections (pin 1 to pin 1, etc...)
4) Power on the breakers
5) Watch the SWCG to see if the "remotely controlled" LED is lit. Should illuminate with the first minute of getting power.
6) Check the RS-8 remote display to see if the SWCG now shows as "Aquapure" (this is what emulation does - makes the Hayward appear to be a Jandy).

If emulation mode is set to anything other than AL-5 while connected, the RS-8 could recognize the SWCG as non-Jandy and kill remote SWCG functionality. Only re-flashing the chip will restore it regardless of the brand.

Thank you so much for your reply! I'm just now back on the forum.

This worked at one time and no upgrades have been done, so I think the whole "NOT COMPATIBLE" issue and software revision is a non factor. I believe it's a connection issue for sure, but have been unable to find any documentation on how it's supposed to be connected.

The 2nd picture shows a gray wire (with orange, black, white, brown & blue) coming from my AquaRite Salt system to the Jandy box. You are saying that this needs to be connected to the reddish orange connector in the Jandy box (directly above the "Reset" button) on the Jandy control panel. Is that correct?

If so, there is already something connected to it (green, yellow, black, red wires - see 3rd picture)

If this is not correct, maybe if you could give me the connector designation (ex. TP30, J14, etc.)

The reddish orange connector is a RS485 interface. It is design to have multiple devices connected to it. So you can place more than one wire in each of the screw terminal connection. Just note what wire you put in each position as Uncle Flappy told you.

Waiting to hear if you get it working or still have issues.

Never late than never? Sorry...had lots of stuff wrong with the pool that had to get fixed before this. All done and now on back on this issue. I re-read all the post and sure appreciate it. I'm just confirming (w/ pictures) where I'm going to connect my Aquarite SWG AFTER I do the following:

1) Program the SWCG to emulation mode AL-5 and let run for a minute or two
2) Power down both the SWCG and the RS-8 from the circuit breaker

Attachments

• AquaRite SWG to AquaLink RS8.png
    AquaRite SWG to AquaLink RS8.png
    1,009.4 KB · Views: 33

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I think that the wire colors match between the Jandy and the Hayward. Red (+) and green (-) are power and black and yellow are data.

Why do the electronics have so much corrosion?

They must be getting exposed to water, or chlorine or acid fumes.

The corrosion is so bad, I would replace the main board and the display board.

You should try to determine why it's happening or the problem is likely to keep happening.

Why does the yellow wire change to white?

I think that once you connect it and set the Hayward to AL-5, it should work. If it's not working, it might be bad boards due to corrosion.

Also, note that not all software revisions work. Jandy and Hayward sometimes cooperated and sometimes they didn't.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.