Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: tile repair

1. Back To Top    #1

tile repair

HI eweryone,

I'm about to refill my spa with fresh water and thought I would do some tile repair whilst it was empty.

I have a couple of small tile pieces that have come off, exposing the mortar (?) underneath. Any ideas of how to go about this?

thnks

Karen
    26,390 gallons IG, Centex plaster, Hayward DE 4820 filter, Century Centurion B2859 pool pump motor.
    Booster pump for polaris 280
    Spa
    Built 1997

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: tile repair

Picture would help. Usually you need to remove and clean away all the old dried glue, clean up the exposed gunite, glue new tile on and then re-grout.

Tile doesn't usually pop off. Does it look like too little glue was used? Are these 6" tile or 1" tile?

Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

3. Back To Top    #3

thanks Matt, I've attempted to upload the photo of the tile. The water is lovely isn't it!! Not sure why it has come off, all the others look fine.

26,390 gallons IG, Centex plaster, Hayward DE 4820 filter, Century Centurion B2859 pool pump motor.
    Booster pump for polaris 280
    Spa
    Built 1997

4. Back To Top    #4

I suck at tiling so take whatever I say with a grain of salt and hold out for better advice. That said, it's not so bad looking. The repair will just involve getting rid of all that tile glue on the gunite surface and the back of the missing tile piece. Once clean, just glue it back into place and regrout. The hard part will be getting the new grout to match the old grout. If you can't find an exact color match, I would get a bag of unsanded white and grey grout and try different blends until you get a good match.

Perhaps our construction experts can give some guidance on the proper types of glue and grout to use.

Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

There are many you can choose from but for simlicity sake, here's a simple one-two punch after you clean out the old material as Matt mentioned.

This one is to attach the tile...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00Q2L3PZI..._t2_B00L3LXITK

This one is to grout the tile...

https://www.amazon.com/Pool-Patch-Wh.../dp/B00L3LXITK

These are the white versions, also available in grey.
    18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, SWCG, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking | Merlin SmartMesh winter safety cover
    Spring 2013 Build | Dolphin Active 20 robot cleaner | Support TFP!

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

In the Industry