Solar heater

Jul 28, 2014
Manhawkin/ NJ
Hi, I'm trying to see if a solar heater would be worth it for me my pool is 16x32 free form but only goes to 5 1/2 feet deep. I already have regular solar on my roof so I only have an area roughly 10x20. I get direct sun all day and the pool was high 70 to mid 80 all summer in nj. Would 200 sq ft of panels extend my season at all?

Yes, it will definitely help. I have 240sf of panels for an 18x41 pool. It helps lots of days in spring and fall and also after rain or cold fronts. Be sure to get a solar controller so it shuts itself off when there isn't heat available. Nothing cools off a pool like running solar panels in the rain or cold wind on a cloudy day. There are pics of my solar install in my pool thread, link in sig.

Also, an 8mil solar cover will also help a lot to reduce heat loss overnight.

I think I need them to be 10 foot wide 4 foot high. Can I have 5 rows of 10x4 panels?

IG panels are generally intended for vertical mount. Because of baffles and construction materials, some of the horizontal mount panels need to be removed for winterization

I have the 4X8s from these folks Aquasol Pool Solar Panels Wouldn't hesitate to install them again.

I was constrained on size like you. I have 6 panels on a 26ft run of roof. My vacuum breaker is at one roof edge and the outlet of the last panel is at the other.

I have roughly 192ft2 of panel for a 20X36 Grecian pool in SW Indiana. Makes a big difference in maintaining temp during the swim season. I never have a problem keeping my pool in the upper 80s from Memorial Day to Labor Day. I usually shut it off at 87 or it will get too warm. The water coming out of the returns after running through the panels is often warm enough that it feels good sitting on the steps by the return.

A solar blanket is a huge help on the ends of the season. I generally have mine on in May and September, but my panels let me do without it during the swim season which is really nice.

Solar heat works to keep the water warm during the edges of the season, but you find that the cooler air temperature cuts down on swimming. The pool feels great, but it's too cold when you get out.

You could do stacked panels with 2 or 3 in each row. You'll want to get an accurate measurement of the area to see what you can do.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You can get them either way. Horizontal are normally called above ground and vertical are called in ground. I don't know why. I've seen both installed on roofs.

I'm still having trouble figuring this out, is there any way you could help me put together an order for what I need from solar direct? They never emailed me back

You are going to need the exact dimensions of the area on the roof, including the location of that vent pipe.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.