Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Solar heater

1. Back To Top    #1

Solar heater

Hi, I'm trying to see if a solar heater would be worth it for me my pool is 16x32 free form but only goes to 5 1/2 feet deep. I already have regular solar on my roof so I only have an area roughly 10x20. I get direct sun all day and the pool was high 70 to mid 80 all summer in nj. Would 200 sq ft of panels extend my season at all?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Solar heater

Yes, it will definitely help. I have 240sf of panels for an 18x41 pool. It helps lots of days in spring and fall and also after rain or cold fronts. Be sure to get a solar controller so it shuts itself off when there isn't heat available. Nothing cools off a pool like running solar panels in the rain or cold wind on a cloudy day. There are pics of my solar install in my pool thread, link in sig.

Also, an 8mil solar cover will also help a lot to reduce heat loss overnight.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for the quick reply, I only have an area 10'wide, alot of the panels I see are 20'wide can I mount them vertically? If that makes sense. Get 5 panels that are 2x20 but mount them side by side?

4. Back To Top    #4

The 20 foot long panels are horizontal mount only. The 10 or 12 foot long panels can mount vertical.
    Chuck-
    15x30 AG, Pentair Superflo VS, 19" sand filter, TF-100 test kit
    Aqua Comfort ACT750 heat pump / 6x20 ground mount solar panel / DIY automation

Photos of 2016 Build, Inside Your Breaker Panel, Free Copy of 2017 NEC code
    TFP is AD Free and is funded solely by member support click here to help

5. Back To Top    #5

Do you have any panel recommendations?

6. Back To Top    #6

Sounds like you should get five panels that are 4 foot wide by 10 foot tall. I got mine used off of Craigslist and installed them myself.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

I think I need them to be 10 foot wide 4 foot high. Can I have 5 rows of 10x4 panels?

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by kevgle4587 View Post
    I think I need them to be 10 foot wide 4 foot high. Can I have 5 rows of 10x4 panels?
    IG panels are generally intended for vertical mount. Because of baffles and construction materials, some of the horizontal mount panels need to be removed for winterization

I have the 4X8s from these folks Aquasol Pool Solar Panels Wouldn't hesitate to install them again.

I was constrained on size like you. I have 6 panels on a 26ft run of roof. My vacuum breaker is at one roof edge and the outlet of the last panel is at the other.

I have roughly 192ft2 of panel for a 20X36 Grecian pool in SW Indiana. Makes a big difference in maintaining temp during the swim season. I never have a problem keeping my pool in the upper 80s from Memorial Day to Labor Day. I usually shut it off at 87 or it will get too warm. The water coming out of the returns after running through the panels is often warm enough that it feels good sitting on the steps by the return.

A solar blanket is a huge help on the ends of the season. I generally have mine on in May and September, but my panels let me do without it during the swim season which is really nice.

Solar heat works to keep the water warm during the edges of the season, but you find that the cooler air temperature cuts down on swimming. The pool feels great, but it's too cold when you get out.

You could do stacked panels with 2 or 3 in each row. You'll want to get an accurate measurement of the area to see what you can do.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

9. Back To Top    #9

I have 12'x4' Vortex vertical panels from Solar Direct. They are made by Techno Solis. They've done great for 5 years.
    TFP Moderator
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

10. Back To Top    #10

Idk if this is going to work but this is what I'm working with I'm new to this whole solar thing and am a little confused now

11. Back To Top    #11

12. Back To Top    #12

You can get them either way. Horizontal are normally called above ground and vertical are called in ground. I don't know why. I've seen both installed on roofs.
    TFP Moderator

13. Back To Top    #13

What are the dimensions of the open area on the roof?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

14. Back To Top    #14

10x20

15. Back To Top    #15

So you could do 2 rows of 2 4x8 panels. Some companies have 2 foot wide panels too that you could add in each row.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

16. Back To Top    #16

I found these Pool heater solar panels. does any one know if I can set these up as a column instead of a row?

17. Back To Top    #17

I'm pretty sure those are not designed to be mounted horizontally
    Jason, TFP Moderator

18. Back To Top    #18

OK thanks for the quick reply. I sent an email to solar direct to see if they could help me put together a package that will work hopefully they answer me back.

19. Back To Top    #19

I'm still having trouble figuring this out, is there any way you could help me put together an order for what I need from solar direct? They never emailed me back

20. Back To Top    #20

Quote Originally Posted by kevgle4587 View Post
    I'm still having trouble figuring this out, is there any way you could help me put together an order for what I need from solar direct? They never emailed me back
    You are going to need the exact dimensions of the area on the roof, including the location of that vent pipe.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast