Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Backwash mode only works when waste pipe open?

1. Back To Top    #1

Backwash mode only works when waste pipe open?

Hi, I have a sand based filter, when I set it to backwash mode I only see dirt going through the wire glass when I open the waste tube, is this normal?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Backwash mode only works when waste pipe open?

johnny,

When you backwash the dirty water has to go somewhere.. If you don't open the waste pipe, it has nowhere to go..

Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP520 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2, added small 3 person Caldera Spa.

3. Back To Top    #3

Yes thats normal. Depending on how dirty the water is, and how often you back wash you might see green water out the waste pipe. Welcome to the forum!
    15x54 swim & play vinyl metal wall AG
    Hayward S210T sand filter 1.5 HP Pentair Superflo vs
    Rheem raypak 130,000 BTU mv ng
    Jacuzzi 345 whirlpool bath
    TF-100 test kit, HM digital com100 Wanda the Whale

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyc View Post
    Hi, I have a sand based filter, when I set it to backwash mode I only see dirt going through the wire glass when I open the waste tube, is this normal?
    Normally, when the filter is set to backwash, all water (& debris) flow is directed out the waste port of the multi-port valve. If that waste port is blocked by a closed valve or cap, then there will be no flow, and you will not see any movement in the sight glass.

This will also create a pressure build up inside the filter, and that is not recommended. Be sure that the waste port is unobstructed before running the filter in 'backwash' or 'waste'.
    Dom - TFP Guide
    Intex 18' X 48" Ultra Frame AGP 6700 gallons | Two Intex CS8110 SWG's | Hayward Pro Series 21" Sandfilter | Hayward 1.5HP Power Flo Matrix pump | Hayward Thru-wall Skimmer | Wanda the Whale | 72 sq ft of Sungrabber Solar Panels with Hayward GLC-2P-A | Taylor K2006 Test Kit, Sample Sizer & Speed Stir | Click Here To Become a TFP Supporter!