Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Confused: 2 suction openings in skimmers. One skimmer both open, second only one

1. Back To Top    #1

Confused: 2 suction openings in skimmers. One skimmer both open, second only one

I have an air entrapment problem with my shallow skimmer. To reduce water loss I decided to plug it besides having skimmer valve off.

I noticed that my deep skimmer has 2 2" threaded openings in the bottom but only one is open. The shallow skimmer has 2 2" threaded openings in the bottom.

Can someone educate me as to why there would be more than 1 suction opening per skimmer? What is the usual configuration?
    Plaster pool inground 22,000 gallons with spa. Pentair Intelliflo, IC40 salt generator, WiFi control/Easy Touch.
    Hayward 1.5 HP pump on 750 gallon spa. Sand filters. Auto chlorinator on spa. Auto water level. Dolphin M500. TF100 XL with Speed Stir. Apera Instruments AI311 PH60 Premium Waterproof pH Pocket Tester

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Confused: 2 suction openings in skimmers. One skimmer both open, second only one

My skimmer s have 2 openings. One goes to suction, one goes to a port in the wall just below the skimmer, I think to keep if from going dry if the water gets below the skimmer opening. not sure this is your setup or not.

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Confused: 2 suction openings in skimmers. One skimmer both open, second only one

My second suction pipe goes to our water feature pump.

4. Back To Top    #4

The hole away from the pool is plumbed to the pump. The hole closer to the pool can either be blocked off, plumbed to a bottom drain or plumbed to an equalizer pipe in the pool wall directly below the skimmer.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach