Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 120 Volt or 240 Volt

1. Back To Top    #1

120 Volt or 240 Volt

Hi
    Just curious
    Looking through posts on the site I see reference's to wiring up for 120volt or 240volt
    I know the UK is nomimal 240volt and the USA is 120volt but I don't understand why anyone in the states would want to wire up for 240volt
    10,000 gallons inground Leisure fibreglass pool, Hayward powerline pump, Quality120 glass media filter, 27kw output air source heat pump and thermal cover.
    Retractable cover with Polycarbonate roof and glass side for all year round use. K-2006C test kit and Speed stir

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: 120 Volt or 240 Volt

It allows you to use smaller wire since the current is less. Power is voltage times current. So if you double the voltage you halve the current.
    Also, some motors run more efficiently with 2 phase electricity.
    Bob - INTEX 12x24 owner (not setup yet), 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

3. Back To Top    #3

Still confused
    So would you need to have 2 phase's at your property to increase to 240
    I suspect that isn't normal

10,000 gallons inground Leisure fibreglass pool, Hayward powerline pump, Quality120 glass media filter, 27kw output air source heat pump and thermal cover.
    Retractable cover with Polycarbonate roof and glass side for all year round use. K-2006C test kit and Speed stir

4. Back To Top    #4

Standard residential wiring in the US is single phase 220-240v AC 60hz. We have 3 wires coming from the utility pole 2 hot and 1 neutral/ground. Each hot leg has 110-120v potential to ground. The hot (L1) to hot (L2) voltage is 220-240v. All of our standard outlets are 110v. Any high current appliances, like a stove, dryer or pump, are wired for 220v to keep the wire size requirements down. Every time you double voltage you reduce current by half.
    Chuck-
    15x30 AG, Pentair Superflo VS, 19" sand filter, TF-100 test kit
    Aqua Comfort ACT750 heat pump / 6x20 ground mount solar panel / DIY automation

Photos of 2016 Build, Inside Your Breaker Panel, Free Copy of 2017 NEC code
    TFP is AD Free and is funded solely by member support click here to help

5. Back To Top    #5

That makes more sense to me now but if you add the 2 hot 110-120v surely they must be on different phases because if you add 2 x 110-120v on the same phase you will have 110-120v
    Please correct me if I'm wrong as I'm not an electrician but have a basic understanding

6. Back To Top    #6

In the US the common residential power is split phase so it's essentially two phases 180º apart, so the voltage potential between the two hot legs is double the voltage between each leg and neutral, or commonly referred to as 120/240 volt service.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks everyone
    Totally clear now and I won't puzzle about it anymore
    Completely different from the UK

8. Back To Top    #8

There is a nice breakdown of standard US residential power HERE. This explains it better than I can and it has pictures.
    Chuck-
    15x30 AG, Pentair Superflo VS, 19" sand filter, TF-100 test kit
    Aqua Comfort ACT750 heat pump / 6x20 ground mount solar panel / DIY automation

Photos of 2016 Build, Inside Your Breaker Panel, Free Copy of 2017 NEC code
    TFP is AD Free and is funded solely by member support click here to help

9. Back To Top    #9

Let's just be thankful that Nikola Tesla won the argument over Thomas Edison or else the US would be electrified with DC power as opposed to AC power....

Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

10. Back To Top    #10

AC won because it can be stepped up and down in voltage easier than DC.

High voltage is easier to transmit because it reduces the wire size needed.

Just keep AC away from elephants.
    Support the site

Trouble Free Pool is a free resource. The people who answer questions are volunteers. If you find the site to be a good resource, please consider making a donation to help support the site. Thanks.

11. Back To Top    #11

They're scared of AC power too?
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

12. Back To Top    #12

In the Industry

They are ever since Topsy...
    JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter. Dual speed 1 HP pump, Hayward S210T sand filter
    Pool School - PoolMath

13. Back To Top    #13

Edison proved that elephants are adversely affected by AC.

Also, the wing beat frequency of bees is a resonant of 60hz. So, it freaks them out.
    Support the site

Trouble Free Pool is a free resource. The people who answer questions are volunteers. If you find the site to be a good resource, please consider making a donation to help support the site. Thanks.

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by JamesW View Post

Also, the wing beat frequency of bees is a resonant of 60hz. So, it freaks them out.
    Edison would also kill stray animals with AC electrocution in public demonstrations to "prove" AC was too dangerous. He was in a very heated competition with Tesla & Westinghouse.

Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

15. Back To Top    #15

Oh, nice. Good thing nobody's ever been killed by DC current. We should switch everyone over.
    TFP Moderator
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

16. Back To Top    #16

Quote Originally Posted by JamesW View Post

Do European bee wings run at 50 hz?
    TFP Moderator

17. Back To Top    #17

Quote Originally Posted by pooldv View Post
    Do European bee wings run at 50 hz?
    Legally, bees are supposed to maintain a wing beat frequency that is a harmonic of the national electrical frequency. In other words, the wing beat frequency should be an integer multiple of the fundamental ac frequency.

However, bees often ignore the rules and do whatever they want.

Bees are critical to human survival. Without bees, humans would starve to death in about a week.
    Support the site

18. Back To Top    #18

Quote Originally Posted by JoyfulNoise View Post
    Let's just be thankful that Nikola Tesla won the argument over Thomas Edison or else the US would be electrified with DC power as opposed to AC power....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It's funny, I always think about how things would have turned out if AC didn't "win." Would we have a more distributed energy system that didn't rely on huge power lines crossing everywhere one looks? Would it be less vulnerable to attacks in today's world? Would what we now call "alternative" energy be more commonplace? We certainly wouldn't have the economies of scale benefits or the barriers of change. I can't help but think of all the solar panels producing DC electricity that has to be converted to AC and then back to DC for many devices in our home.

One thing is for sure, AC is a fine business model for large energy production that allows for repeat customers Don't think I don't recognize Tesla's brilliance, but it's hard to ignore Westinghouse's (or Edison's) motivations!

oops, that was a little off topic
    Build Video 2016 -- Solar Pad 20.5K gunite (37'x15') rectangle (3.5'-7') deep-- MicroFusion Laguna finish -- Jandy VS pump, cartridge and iAqualink RS -- Polaris 360 Black -- 2 Laminar jets -- 2 nichless 30w color led -- 550sq/ft Heliocol solar -- Soft water auto fill -- Stenner 17gpd

19. Back To Top    #19

I'd like to see more concept homes being built that have alternative power sources available - that is, the home has it's own solar PV array built into the design to provide energy to the home during the day and then an electrical system that can switch between the two power sources easily (maybe even add in some battery backup systems in the event of a power loss or utilize natural gas powered backup generators). The home would be wired with both 120/240VAC outlets for the larger home appliances (fridge, big TV's, etc) and a parallel system of wiring for 5/12/24VDC applications (device chargers, computers, etc). There is so much automation and sensor technology available nowadays that it's so sad to see homes being built with the same breaker panels and rotary power meters that debuted in the early 1900's....

and I don't call it "thread hijacking"...I call it "topical evolution"....
    Matt

20. Back To Top    #20

We are moving more towards a distributed source grid with literally millions of passive essentially solar points producing power. It now appears that over time the main sources of electricity will be very local with the larger plants or sources including batteries both local and regional (pump storage) acting as backup for the local sources. Its much more complex to balance but over time that is where we are going. As the cost for solar drops the big question is going to be how do we build more batteries.
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast