Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: 1 Week till the dig. What should I be doing in DFW?

1. Back To Top    #1

1 Week till the dig. What should I be doing in DFW?

Ok, So I've been lurking and a stalking TFP for almost 2 years and I'm finally gonna take the plunge. I'm a week out before dig. What should I be doing??

Pinto_1_002.jpg
    Dig 4/12/17, Gunite 4/19/17, Deck Installed 5/2/17, Plaster 6/12/17
    13,000 gallon, 24 x 19 rectangular pool/spa, platinum quartz plaster, travertine deck with raised beam in sloped yard. Polaris 3900 Complete, Jandy vsp 2.7hp, Jandy JX1400 Natural Heater, Jandy PDA PS6 (Pool/Spa), TF-100 Test Kit.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: 1 Week till the dig. What should I be doing in DFW?

Posting your design pics, telling us about the equipment, posting pics of the back yard, and are you doing an OB or PB
    We need to see lol

current build<--free form gunite 34x21 18k gallons 4ft-7ft deep,Pentair 3HP VSP, wisperflo 2hp, 520 cartridge filter, 400k heater, ez touch 8 with screen logic, ic40 swg. 4ft sheer decent, 2 led deck jets, 5 globrite leds,rock spa waterfall. Mocha travertine deck, noche coping. Tropics blue custom mix with LOTS of beads and shells

3. Back To Top    #3

Congrats! In all your stalking, are you comfortable with a plan to maintain your water when it is filled? If not, start asking questions
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by nateb View Post
    Ok, So I've been lurking and a stalking TFP for almost 2 years and I'm finally gonna take the plunge. I'm a week out before dig. What should I be doing??

Pinto_1_002.jpg
    Welcome to TFP!

That looks like a very inviting area!

You should practice a bit with your FAS/DPD test kit. Using tap water you can check FC, CC, pH, TA, & CH. If this is the water you will fill the pool with, take note of the TA & CH.

You do have a recommended kit, right?

https://www.troublefreepool.com/cont...its-comparison

The best bang for the buck is the TF-100 from TFtestkits ( http://tftestkits.net/TF-100-Test-Kit-p4.html ). Definitely get the Speed Stir, it makes testing super easy and very repeatable.

Nice to have you 'officially' with us!
    Dom - TFP Guide
    Intex 18' X 48" Ultra Frame AGP 6700 gallons | Two Intex CS8110 SWG's | Hayward Pro Series 21" Sandfilter | Hayward 1.5HP Power Flo Matrix pump | Hayward Thru-wall Skimmer | Wanda the Whale | 72 sq ft of Sungrabber Solar Panels with Hayward GLC-2P-A | Taylor K2006 Test Kit, Sample Sizer & Speed Stir | Click Here To Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

HI! I can tell you have been doing a lot of reading! I LOVE your design! The steps being in a cut away like that is awesome! Leaves a good swim lane!

Where are your "real" plans? Lights? returns? equipment?

I see Will has you well covered in what you need to share with us!

Where is Allen? Can you please add that to your location.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

That looks like a very nice design. Aside from sharing all the details with us here, I'd focus on getting the site ready for the tornado that's about to tear up your back yard, and everything in between the pool site, and wherever the heavy equipment is going to stage. Move everything you can out of the access lane from the dig site to where the trucks will be. Patio furniture, toys, dog houses, etc. It's much easier to do it now, while the ground is still flat. I'd consider protecting anything that you don't want messed up, as contractors can be "sloppy" at times. If you have any irrigation they have to transit over, you may want to have a plan in place in the likely event it gets damaged. Oh, and make sure you have a long enough hose to get from your hose bib that will allow you to water the pool once the gunite is shot. You'll probably be spending a couple weeks watering the shell.

That should keep you busy for a couple minutes anyway..
    2017 Build, 12.5K gal, pebbletec blue smurf, EcoStar VS pump (pool/spa), 2hp TriStar pump (water features), SwimClear 425 multi-cartridge filter, Hayward 400K heater, Turbocell-15 SWG, Pro-Logic Automation, LED lighting, Hayward suction side cleaner (model TBD), TF-100 Test Kit

7. Back To Top    #7

Appreciate the welcome. And per your advice, I'll be order the kit "today-ish".
    Last edited by nateb; 04-04-2017 at 11:09 AM. Reason: Mis-spelled word

8. Back To Top    #8

I would put up a bubble to keep the rain away. LOL

9. Back To Top    #9

Beach advice was spot on pre dig! I didn't consider moving my patio furniture on my out of the way covered patio and I just looked at it last night and it was dirty and looks like I need new cushions
    We would also love to here the specs of your pool and the equipment.
    Once they form the pool before the dig go out and measure and make sure it's at least 1-2 feet larger on each side. You going to have steel and gunite that will bring the size back to what your contract states

current build<--free form gunite 34x21 18k gallons 4ft-7ft deep,Pentair 3HP VSP, wisperflo 2hp, 520 cartridge filter, 400k heater, ez touch 8 with screen logic, ic40 swg. 4ft sheer decent, 2 led deck jets, 5 globrite leds,rock spa waterfall. Mocha travertine deck, noche coping. Tropics blue custom mix with LOTS of beads and shells

10. Back To Top    #10

Didn't see a spot to add this in my signature.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Dig 4/12/17, Gunite 4/19/17, Deck Installed 5/2/17, Plaster 6/12/17
    13,000 gallon, 24 x 19 rectangular pool/spa, platinum quartz plaster, travertine deck with raised beam in sloped yard. Polaris 3900 Complete, Jandy vsp 2.7hp, Jandy JX1400 Natural Heater, Jandy PDA PS6 (Pool/Spa), TF-100 Test Kit.

11. Back To Top    #11

If not included in your contract, and if you haven't done it yet, you need to start on your landscape plan. What type of plants? Irrigation needs, landscape lighting and if it will be DC or Solar. If DC lighting, you will need a power source for it. Where is the power source going to be and how difficult will it be to access it? (hint, add a spot for that to your pool sub panel).

Plan it down to the last tree, bush, flower, leaf and blade of grass and sprinkler head.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!