Sonos!!!

Jun 22, 2016
FL
I love our new pool. And I love our new covered patio. But I LOVE my Sonos audio system! It's addicting like tattoos...or white cheddar popcorn....

We setup 2 outdoor zones - patio (4 outdoor speakers) and pool (2 killer rock speakers). When we group them and dial the volumes in, our outdoor space is jamming.

The app is super intuitive and anyone can use it at your house (wife, family, friends) from their phone.

Watching the championship game from the spa as I type and switching back to the tunes at commercial breaks!

If you are looking for speakers or any outdoor audio, YOU HAVE TO GET SONOS!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Haha! Our outdoor sound system (including sonos) is one of my favorite parts of the pool area. . .

Totally agree. The sound quality is fantastic not to leave out all the things you can do with it...different songs in different areas, grouping speakers, etc.

The patio area sounds great but a playbar with sub and surrounds is killer!...talking indoors here. Sub is way too expensive to drag outside, lol.

Yes, features galore.

You can play Pandora on one speaker, Slacker on another one, Google play on another one. Local radio stations on another one. Or all the same. Or, with a Playbar you can put your TV sound onto all the speakers. All controlled from an app on your phone. And everyone who has the app can control your Sonos system if they are logged on to your wifi. So, you can get JimBob to change the song if you don't feel like getting out of the pool!

Yeah, no Sub outside. But, we have two 3s and a 1 around the pool and it is great.

I love our new pool. And I love our new covered patio. But I LOVE my Sonos audio system! It's addicting like tattoos...or white cheddar popcorn....

We setup 2 outdoor zones - patio (4 outdoor speakers) and pool (2 killer rock speakers). When we group them and dial the volumes in, our outdoor space is jamming.

The app is super intuitive and anyone can use it at your house (wife, family, friends) from their phone.

Watching the championship game from the spa as I type and switching back to the tunes at commercial breaks!

If you are looking for speakers or any outdoor audio, YOU HAVE TO GET SONOS!

Pics??

Yes, features galore.

You can play Pandora on one speaker, Slacker on another one, Google play on another one. Local radio stations on another one. Or all the same. Or, with a Playbar you can put your TV sound onto all the speakers. All controlled from an app on your phone. And everyone who has the app can control your Sonos system if they are logged on to your wifi. So, you can get JimBob to change the song if you don't feel like getting out of the pool!

Yeah, no Sub outside. But, we have two 3s and a 1 around the pool and it is great.

ahh...you've solved the mystery for me...and gonna cost me some extra cash. As a newbie to sonos, I've been enjoying the 4 rock speakers by the pool that I hooked up to a sonos amp in the house, and have already planned to add a couple of the smaller ones for the spa seating area. But I'd wanted my TV sound hooked in there somehow so we can listen to the game while we lounge in the spa. So, I guess I need to add a playbar too..;)

I put all my mp3s on a NAS drive, and it's great to just pull the music off of that too.

Now if sonos would just enter the 21st century, and give their app apple watch capability, that would be awesome, so I could sit in the spa, and change things without worrying about killing the phone..;)

Now if sonos would just enter the 21st century, and give their app apple watch capability, that would be awesome, so I could sit in the spa, and change things without worrying about killing the phone..;)

I don't go into the pool without my iPhone 7 to control my Sonos!

While I'm bragging about my Sonos, I can also add how clever they were with speaker design. We had a local electronics shop install rear speakers high up on beams in the living room. They mounted them upside-down so I can reach the buttons if necessary. When I got home that day, I looked at the upside-down speakers and thought, how cool was it that Sonos made the bezel reversible so the label could be read whether it's right side-up or down...

SONOS

(ok look, I drink recreationally and I never claimed to be all that smart in the first place....!)

LOL!! Me too when I was trying to decide how to mount my playbar. one day maybe we can become pros! :cheers:

Yes, beachhead, time for a Playbar for you. And while you're at it you might as well get the Sub, it'll only double the price. :-D

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
But, we have two 3s and a 1 around the pool and it is great.

Are these undercover? Or you bring them out when you want to use them? We went a little old school hard wiring outdoor rock speakers with 250' of speaker wire into our inside amp. The only thing sonos is missing is an outdoor weatherproof speaker!

These are outside under cover. A 3 in the solar pool hut, a 1 on the shop porch and a 3 on the screen porch. They've all been outside year round for a couple of years. Yeah, I'm surprised they don't make an outdoor speaker.

NONE of their speakers are waterproof. The 1s are humidity resistant I think. Waaaay too much humidity in Texas to try that theory!

I takes them out..........

......and I takes them back in........................and well worth the small effort.

- - - Updated - - -

The only thing sonos is missing is an outdoor weatherproof speaker!

......you left out solar powered!

I have the connect amp in my pool house with a couple of hard wired Kilpsch speakers under the soffit and 2 play 3s around the pool seating areas. Sonos also just released the Playbase for your TV, I may have to pick it up for $699 doesn't seem like a bad deal and will pair well with my 65" OLED.

Salty

I have the connect amp in my pool house with a couple of hard wired Kilpsch speakers under the soffit and 2 play 3s around the pool seating areas. Sonos also just released the Playbase for your TV, I may have to pick it up for $699 doesn't seem like a bad deal and will pair well with my 65" OLED.

Salty

What do you have your play 3's plugged into?

The more I learn about Sonos, the more I like the idea. However, the price tag is a little tough to sign off on... Given my outdoor setup, I do not have a good patio where the speakers would be out of the rain/elements. They would be under the eaves of the house. Therefore, I think it is a requirement that I have outdoor speakers. My plans originally were to hard wire some outdoor speakers to a receiver that resides indoors with my tv. Although some receivers have airplay included in them now, I was considering plugging up a connect to said receiver. However, I don't know what benefit that would hold over a chromecast audio. It seems that both would be able to be controlled from outdoors on my phone. I would like to have the ability to create different songs inside/outside or the same throughout, but I believe you can do that with multiple chromecasts as well...
Help me understand the benefit to going with a Connect. Is there another option with Sonos that I am missing so I do not have to buy a receiver also?
Thanks,
Edwin

The more I learn about Sonos, the more I like the idea. However, the price tag is a little tough to sign off on... Given my outdoor setup, I do not have a good patio where the speakers would be out of the rain/elements. They would be under the eaves of the house. Therefore, I think it is a requirement that I have outdoor speakers. My plans originally were to hard wire some outdoor speakers to a receiver that resides indoors with my tv. Although some receivers have airplay included in them now, I was considering plugging up a connect to said receiver. However, I don't know what benefit that would hold over a chromecast audio. It seems that both would be able to be controlled from outdoors on my phone. I would like to have the ability to create different songs inside/outside or the same throughout, but I believe you can do that with multiple chromecasts as well...
Help me understand the benefit to going with a Connect. Is there another option with Sonos that I am missing so I do not have to buy a receiver also?
Thanks,
Edwin

Sonos Connect Amp does not require a receiver. It powers the outdoor speakers and lets you choose your music source. Just need a Bridge and the Connect Amp, plus the outdoor speakers of your choice.

Sonos Connect Amp does not require a receiver. It powers the outdoor speakers and lets you choose your music source. Just need a Bridge and the Connect Amp, plus the outdoor speakers of your choice.

Right. The Connect: Amp is $500 and does not require an amp (it is built in) vs the regular Connect which is $350 and requires an amp (if you are not using sonos speakers). One thing to consider is what outdoor speakers you are using and the ohms they pull. We were unable to use the Connect Amp for our existing outdoor speakers because of the ohms they pulled. We had to use a standalone amp and 2 connects to run two separate zones (patio and pool) outside.

Another alternative to Sonos is the Bose Soundtouch. I have them setup in my back yard and love the sound. They don't have as many options for music sources as Sonos, but are very close. I have 2 SA-4 amps, and 1 SA-5 (SA-4 was replaced with SA-5 so when I expanded with a 3rd zone, had to get the SA-5). I have two pairs of Bose 251s mounted on the house powered by the SA-4s, and a pair of the Bose Freespace 51s that will be going out by the fire pit when it gets completed. All 3 zones can be controlled independently or combined to fill the entire back yard with good clean sound. Pricing is the same as Sonos, with an SA-5 coming in at $499. The reason I chose Bose over Sonos was simply due to the face that my brother-in-law works for them and can get everything at 50% off! Can't beat that!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.