Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 94

Thread: Sonos!!!

  1. Back To Top    #1

    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    901

    Sonos!!!

    I love our new pool. And I love our new covered patio. But I LOVE my Sonos audio system! It's addicting like tattoos...or white cheddar popcorn....

    We setup 2 outdoor zones - patio (4 outdoor speakers) and pool (2 killer rock speakers). When we group them and dial the volumes in, our outdoor space is jamming.

    The app is super intuitive and anyone can use it at your house (wife, family, friends) from their phone.

    Watching the championship game from the spa as I type and switching back to the tunes at commercial breaks!

    If you are looking for speakers or any outdoor audio, YOU HAVE TO GET SONOS!


    Brian - UNDER CONSTRUCTION: 17K gal SW Gunite IG. 17'x23'(w/shelf)x34'. 650sf. 114' perim. 3.5'-5' depth sports pool. 7'x11' sun shelf, 6'x8' spa. Intelliflow VSP, IC60 SWCG, CC420 filter, 4 LEDs (2 Globrite and 2 Intellibrite). Hayward 140K BTU heat pump. Pentair EasyTouch 8 automation. Ivory travertine deck. 8"X16" travertine coping. NPT lightwaves Aquamarine spa tile and marker tiles. Undecided on plaster/pebble finish.

  2. Back To Top    #2


    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Auburn, KS
    Posts
    34

    Re: Sonos!!!

    Haha! Our outdoor sound system (including sonos) is one of my favorite parts of the pool area. . .
    Pool Build/install 2014-2015, Filled 7/4/2015, appr. 38.5Kgal, IG Plaster/Pebble, JANDY sand filter, 2 JANDY ProSeries variable speed e-pumps (accessories/main); TF-100 Test Kit, JANDY AquaPur SWG PLC-1400, JANDY auto-fill, Rheem Heater, 3 Bubblers on tanning ledge, 6 laminars, 2 sheer descents, Dolphin

  3. Back To Top    #3
    Mod Squad pooldv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    DFW, TX
    Posts
    24,974

    Re: Sonos!!!

    +1 Sonos is the bomb.net! Yes, addicting indeed. I think we're up to 10 of them now!
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

  4. Back To Top    #4

    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Texas Hill Country
    Posts
    139

    Re: Sonos!!!

    Totally agree. The sound quality is fantastic not to leave out all the things you can do with it...different songs in different areas, grouping speakers, etc.

    The patio area sounds great but a playbar with sub and surrounds is killer!...talking indoors here. Sub is way too expensive to drag outside, lol.
    25k IG / Plaster / Built Jul'16 / Spa with Spillway into Pool / Originally filled with trucked in city water, maintaining level with rain water / Polaris 280 Sweep / Jandy Pro Series EPump a& CV 580 Cartridge Filter / Aquacal Heat Pump / AquaLink Control Panel w/PDA / TF-100 Test Kit / 2 Yellow Labs swimmin' all the time

  5. Back To Top    #5
    Mod Squad pooldv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    DFW, TX
    Posts
    24,974

    Re: Sonos!!!

    Yes, features galore.

    You can play Pandora on one speaker, Slacker on another one, Google play on another one. Local radio stations on another one. Or all the same. Or, with a Playbar you can put your TV sound onto all the speakers. All controlled from an app on your phone. And everyone who has the app can control your Sonos system if they are logged on to your wifi. So, you can get JimBob to change the song if you don't feel like getting out of the pool!

    Yeah, no Sub outside. But, we have two 3s and a 1 around the pool and it is great.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

  6. Back To Top    #6
    Iceman 21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Sacramento, Ca
    Posts
    92

    Re: Sonos!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by grumpiebk View Post
    I love our new pool. And I love our new covered patio. But I LOVE my Sonos audio system! It's addicting like tattoos...or white cheddar popcorn....

    We setup 2 outdoor zones - patio (4 outdoor speakers) and pool (2 killer rock speakers). When we group them and dial the volumes in, our outdoor space is jamming.

    The app is super intuitive and anyone can use it at your house (wife, family, friends) from their phone.

    Watching the championship game from the spa as I type and switching back to the tunes at commercial breaks!

    If you are looking for speakers or any outdoor audio, YOU HAVE TO GET SONOS!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    Pics??
    19,xxx gal gunite pool ,Fafco Solar, Pentair; Intelliflo VS Pump, EasyTouch Control System, Clean & Clear Plus Filter,ScreenLogic2, IntelliChlor Salt Chlorine Generator, 3 IntelliBrite 5g LED lights and 1 Color Cascade LED Light Bubbler. 3 deck jets and 1 sheer decent waterfall

  7. Back To Top    #7

    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV
    Posts
    182

    Re: Sonos!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by pooldv View Post
    Yes, features galore.

    You can play Pandora on one speaker, Slacker on another one, Google play on another one. Local radio stations on another one. Or all the same. Or, with a Playbar you can put your TV sound onto all the speakers. All controlled from an app on your phone. And everyone who has the app can control your Sonos system if they are logged on to your wifi. So, you can get JimBob to change the song if you don't feel like getting out of the pool!

    Yeah, no Sub outside. But, we have two 3s and a 1 around the pool and it is great.
    ahh...you've solved the mystery for me...and gonna cost me some extra cash. As a newbie to sonos, I've been enjoying the 4 rock speakers by the pool that I hooked up to a sonos amp in the house, and have already planned to add a couple of the smaller ones for the spa seating area. But I'd wanted my TV sound hooked in there somehow so we can listen to the game while we lounge in the spa. So, I guess I need to add a playbar too..

    I put all my mp3s on a NAS drive, and it's great to just pull the music off of that too.

    Now if sonos would just enter the 21st century, and give their app apple watch capability, that would be awesome, so I could sit in the spa, and change things without worrying about killing the phone..
    2017 Build, 12.5K gal, pebbletec blue smurf, EcoStar VS pump (pool/spa), 2hp TriStar pump (water features), SwimClear 425 multi-cartridge filter, Hayward 400K heater, Turbocell-15 SWG, Pro-Logic Automation, LED lighting, Hayward suction side cleaner (model TBD), TF-100 Test Kit

  8. Back To Top    #8

    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    West Bloomfield, MI
    Posts
    757

    Re: Sonos!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by BeachHead View Post
    Now if sonos would just enter the 21st century, and give their app apple watch capability, that would be awesome, so I could sit in the spa, and change things without worrying about killing the phone..
    I don't go into the pool without my iPhone 7 to control my Sonos!

    While I'm bragging about my Sonos, I can also add how clever they were with speaker design. We had a local electronics shop install rear speakers high up on beams in the living room. They mounted them upside-down so I can reach the buttons if necessary. When I got home that day, I looked at the upside-down speakers and thought, how cool was it that Sonos made the bezel reversible so the label could be read whether it's right side-up or down...

    SONOS

    (ok look, I drink recreationally and I never claimed to be all that smart in the first place....!)
    12,000 gal Diamond Brite indoor​ pool. Pentair Triton TR-60 Sand Filter +added DE, Lochinvar Energyrite ERN-200 gas heater, Pentair Multi-valve, Pentair SuperFlo VS pump, TF-100 kit, Pool Math App - iOS

  9. Back To Top    #9
    Mod Squad pooldv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    DFW, TX
    Posts
    24,974

    Re: Sonos!!!

    LOL!! Me too when I was trying to decide how to mount my playbar. one day maybe we can become pros!

    Yes, beachhead, time for a Playbar for you. And while you're at it you might as well get the Sub, it'll only double the price.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

  10. Back To Top    #10

    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Texas Hill Country
    Posts
    139

    Re: Sonos!!!

    Watch app, please!!

    Quote Originally Posted by pooldv View Post
    ...you might as well get the Sub, it'll only double the price.
    ....but worth every penny. The speakers sound good w/o one but a sub adds a whole 'nother dimension. Really broadens the sound spectrum and frees the smaller speakers from doing its work.
    25k IG / Plaster / Built Jul'16 / Spa with Spillway into Pool / Originally filled with trucked in city water, maintaining level with rain water / Polaris 280 Sweep / Jandy Pro Series EPump a& CV 580 Cartridge Filter / Aquacal Heat Pump / AquaLink Control Panel w/PDA / TF-100 Test Kit / 2 Yellow Labs swimmin' all the time

  11. Back To Top    #11

    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    901

    Re: Sonos!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by pooldv View Post
    But, we have two 3s and a 1 around the pool and it is great.
    Are these undercover? Or you bring them out when you want to use them? We went a little old school hard wiring outdoor rock speakers with 250' of speaker wire into our inside amp. The only thing sonos is missing is an outdoor weatherproof speaker!


    Brian - UNDER CONSTRUCTION: 17K gal SW Gunite IG. 17'x23'(w/shelf)x34'. 650sf. 114' perim. 3.5'-5' depth sports pool. 7'x11' sun shelf, 6'x8' spa. Intelliflow VSP, IC60 SWCG, CC420 filter, 4 LEDs (2 Globrite and 2 Intellibrite). Hayward 140K BTU heat pump. Pentair EasyTouch 8 automation. Ivory travertine deck. 8"X16" travertine coping. NPT lightwaves Aquamarine spa tile and marker tiles. Undecided on plaster/pebble finish.

  12. Back To Top    #12
    Mod Squad pooldv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    DFW, TX
    Posts
    24,974

    Re: Sonos!!!

    These are outside under cover. A 3 in the solar pool hut, a 1 on the shop porch and a 3 on the screen porch. They've all been outside year round for a couple of years. Yeah, I'm surprised they don't make an outdoor speaker.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

  13. Back To Top    #13
    Mod Squad woodyp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    East Texas
    Posts
    10,158

    Re: Sonos!!!

    NONE of their speakers are waterproof. The 1s are humidity resistant I think. Waaaay too much humidity in Texas to try that theory!

    I takes them out..........

    ......and I takes them back in........................and well worth the small effort.

    - - - Updated - - -

    The only thing sonos is missing is an outdoor weatherproof speaker!
    ......you left out solar powered!
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

  14. Back To Top    #14
    Uncle Salty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    222

    Re: Sonos!!!

    I have the connect amp in my pool house with a couple of hard wired Kilpsch speakers under the soffit and 2 play 3s around the pool seating areas. Sonos also just released the Playbase for your TV, I may have to pick it up for $699 doesn't seem like a bad deal and will pair well with my 65" OLED.

    Salty
    20X40 30,000 gal. Vinyl, AquaPlus Automation w/ T-15 SWG & AquaConnect, EcoStar SP3400VSP pump, ProSeries S310T2 Filter, H Series 400FDN Heater, Sense/Dispense with Stenner Pump, ColorLogic X 3, TigerShark RC990, ​Borates, TF-100 test kit, K-1766 & Speed Stir Finally done! Well Almost

  15. Back To Top    #15

    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    901

    Re: Sonos!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Salty View Post
    I have the connect amp in my pool house with a couple of hard wired Kilpsch speakers under the soffit and 2 play 3s around the pool seating areas. Sonos also just released the Playbase for your TV, I may have to pick it up for $699 doesn't seem like a bad deal and will pair well with my 65" OLED.

    Salty
    What do you have your play 3's plugged into?


    Brian - UNDER CONSTRUCTION: 17K gal SW Gunite IG. 17'x23'(w/shelf)x34'. 650sf. 114' perim. 3.5'-5' depth sports pool. 7'x11' sun shelf, 6'x8' spa. Intelliflow VSP, IC60 SWCG, CC420 filter, 4 LEDs (2 Globrite and 2 Intellibrite). Hayward 140K BTU heat pump. Pentair EasyTouch 8 automation. Ivory travertine deck. 8"X16" travertine coping. NPT lightwaves Aquamarine spa tile and marker tiles. Undecided on plaster/pebble finish.

  16. Back To Top    #16
    Uncle Salty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    222

    Re: Sonos!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by grumpiebk View Post
    What do you have your play 3's plugged into?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I installed outlets all around the perimeter of the pool area when it was being built, I was thinking ahead for a change.

    Salty
    20X40 30,000 gal. Vinyl, AquaPlus Automation w/ T-15 SWG & AquaConnect, EcoStar SP3400VSP pump, ProSeries S310T2 Filter, H Series 400FDN Heater, Sense/Dispense with Stenner Pump, ColorLogic X 3, TigerShark RC990, ​Borates, TF-100 test kit, K-1766 & Speed Stir Finally done! Well Almost

  17. Back To Top    #17

    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Posts
    59

    Re: Sonos!!!

    The more I learn about Sonos, the more I like the idea. However, the price tag is a little tough to sign off on... Given my outdoor setup, I do not have a good patio where the speakers would be out of the rain/elements. They would be under the eaves of the house. Therefore, I think it is a requirement that I have outdoor speakers. My plans originally were to hard wire some outdoor speakers to a receiver that resides indoors with my tv. Although some receivers have airplay included in them now, I was considering plugging up a connect to said receiver. However, I don't know what benefit that would hold over a chromecast audio. It seems that both would be able to be controlled from outdoors on my phone. I would like to have the ability to create different songs inside/outside or the same throughout, but I believe you can do that with multiple chromecasts as well...
    Help me understand the benefit to going with a Connect. Is there another option with Sonos that I am missing so I do not have to buy a receiver also?
    Thanks,
    Edwin
    25,000 gallon
    Vinyl
    rectangle shape
    300 lb Sand filter
    Pentair Superflo Pump Variable Speed Pump

  18. Back To Top    #18

    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Northeast MA
    Posts
    139

    Re: Sonos!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by lsuxtremist View Post
    The more I learn about Sonos, the more I like the idea. However, the price tag is a little tough to sign off on... Given my outdoor setup, I do not have a good patio where the speakers would be out of the rain/elements. They would be under the eaves of the house. Therefore, I think it is a requirement that I have outdoor speakers. My plans originally were to hard wire some outdoor speakers to a receiver that resides indoors with my tv. Although some receivers have airplay included in them now, I was considering plugging up a connect to said receiver. However, I don't know what benefit that would hold over a chromecast audio. It seems that both would be able to be controlled from outdoors on my phone. I would like to have the ability to create different songs inside/outside or the same throughout, but I believe you can do that with multiple chromecasts as well...
    Help me understand the benefit to going with a Connect. Is there another option with Sonos that I am missing so I do not have to buy a receiver also?
    Thanks,
    Edwin
    Sonos Connect Amp does not require a receiver. It powers the outdoor speakers and lets you choose your music source. Just need a Bridge and the Connect Amp, plus the outdoor speakers of your choice.
    Inground vinyl 23'x40' Aspen shape, ~27K gallons, Sta-Rite Intellipro 2 VST Pump, Sta-Rite System:3 Mod DE Filter (60 sq ft), Hybrid In-Floor System (Paramount Valve with Caretaker Heads), AquaComfort Heat Pump, 3x Savi Melody Sol 28W LED Lights, Pentair IC60 SWCG, EasyTouch Automation with ScreenLogic, TF-100 test kit.

  19. Back To Top    #19

    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    901

    Re: Sonos!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by jtrovato21 View Post
    Sonos Connect Amp does not require a receiver. It powers the outdoor speakers and lets you choose your music source. Just need a Bridge and the Connect Amp, plus the outdoor speakers of your choice.
    Right. The Connect: Amp is $500 and does not require an amp (it is built in) vs the regular Connect which is $350 and requires an amp (if you are not using sonos speakers). One thing to consider is what outdoor speakers you are using and the ohms they pull. We were unable to use the Connect Amp for our existing outdoor speakers because of the ohms they pulled. We had to use a standalone amp and 2 connects to run two separate zones (patio and pool) outside.


    Brian - UNDER CONSTRUCTION: 17K gal SW Gunite IG. 17'x23'(w/shelf)x34'. 650sf. 114' perim. 3.5'-5' depth sports pool. 7'x11' sun shelf, 6'x8' spa. Intelliflow VSP, IC60 SWCG, CC420 filter, 4 LEDs (2 Globrite and 2 Intellibrite). Hayward 140K BTU heat pump. Pentair EasyTouch 8 automation. Ivory travertine deck. 8"X16" travertine coping. NPT lightwaves Aquamarine spa tile and marker tiles. Undecided on plaster/pebble finish.

  20. Back To Top    #20

    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Northeast MA
    Posts
    139

    Re: Sonos!!!

    Another alternative to Sonos is the Bose Soundtouch. I have them setup in my back yard and love the sound. They don't have as many options for music sources as Sonos, but are very close. I have 2 SA-4 amps, and 1 SA-5 (SA-4 was replaced with SA-5 so when I expanded with a 3rd zone, had to get the SA-5). I have two pairs of Bose 251s mounted on the house powered by the SA-4s, and a pair of the Bose Freespace 51s that will be going out by the fire pit when it gets completed. All 3 zones can be controlled independently or combined to fill the entire back yard with good clean sound. Pricing is the same as Sonos, with an SA-5 coming in at $499. The reason I chose Bose over Sonos was simply due to the face that my brother-in-law works for them and can get everything at 50% off! Can't beat that!
    Inground vinyl 23'x40' Aspen shape, ~27K gallons, Sta-Rite Intellipro 2 VST Pump, Sta-Rite System:3 Mod DE Filter (60 sq ft), Hybrid In-Floor System (Paramount Valve with Caretaker Heads), AquaComfort Heat Pump, 3x Savi Melody Sol 28W LED Lights, Pentair IC60 SWCG, EasyTouch Automation with ScreenLogic, TF-100 test kit.

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •