New Build in Pearland TX

I have been reading this forum non-stop since I found it a few days ago. What a wealth of information!

We are scheduled for excavation on our new pool on Wednesday, so I thought maybe I should post my specs and see if anyone has any advice on equipment, layout etc. Some of the information on the agreement still feels like Greek to me! Thanks in advance for your input!

40x26', 112LF gunite pool.
Depth goes from 3'-8' (wondering if we should increase shallow end to 3.5?).
460 Cartridge Filter
1.85 HP Variable Speed Filtration Pump
2.0 HP Feature Pump
In-Line Chlorinator
Ozone w/Ultra UV (I'm getting the idea I don't need this?)
Jandy 400K BTU Natural Gas Heater
2 Jandy LED Pool Lights
2 Skimmers
6 Returns
2 Main Drains
6 Spa Returns
2 Bubblers
4 Spray Fins
Cocktail Cove
Tanning Ledge
Waterfall
Jump/Dive Rock

Dotson3.3_005.jpg

Dotson3.3_004.jpg

Dotson3.3_008.jpg

Dotson3.3_007.jpg

G,

Welcome to TFP... A Great resource for all new pool owners... :lovetfp:

3' is too shallow even for the shallow end... I would do at least 3.5 and that is water depth not to the top of the coping..

Buying UV and Ozone equipment is just a waste of your money. Unless of course you don't get sunlight in Pearland.. :cool:

You really need to figure out how you plan to chlorinate your pool... your options are:

1. Use the in-line chlorinator and 3" chlorine pucks, which no one here recommends
2. Manually add Liquid Chlorine or Bleach..
3. Add an automated Liquid Chlorine dispenser (Stenner Pump)
4. Add a Saltwater Chlorine Generator (SWCG)

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

We do get lots of sun, and after reading through posts, I am probably going to tell our PB to take that off. I was advised against salt water here in the Houston area because of the natural rock/stone that I am going to have around the pool, as well as our humid/salty air. However, now I am wondering if that is actually true- it seems like I've seen plenty of people on here from this part of TX that use SWCG...

G,

I personally believe that the idea that a saltwater pool will destroy the surrounding stone/flagstone coping is somewhat of a myth, but certainly ingrained in some pool builder's minds.

A number of people have natural stone and SWCG's without any issues. The problem is really the stone itself.. Some flagstone flakes away over time. You can look at the stone and see it flaking before it is installed.

But once installed, the myth takes over and everyone believes it just has to be the salt in the pool that is causing the problem.

Let's see if we can get some of our Houston area members to chime in on their coping issues or non-issues..

Jim R.

We are in Katy which is just west of you and had a salt water pool for years. We also had flagstone and I can't tell you what it looked like when installed (bought the house with the pool) it did indeed flake/eroded quite a bit. I would guess I had to clean my filters more than the average person but that was about the only downside other than the way the flagstone itself looked obviously. The only real pain was the hot tub because the Polaris won't run in there so I'd drain it once a year and vacuum out.

Good luck and let me know who your builder is. We are looking to build also.

I'm in the same boat as Marla. My pool and decking are about 18 months old. Love the travertine but it's early in its life. From personal experience I agree with Jim R. Our travertine is already wearing far better than our pre-pool flagstone patio - had it 13 years and no pool. The flagstone faded, chipped, some flaking, but my biggest complaint was keeping it clean. After seeing many pictures on tfp with lovely flagstone, I have to believe my flagstone was a very low grade. For a current review of flagstone, I had a flagstone Texas star inlaid on our current patio. After a year it started turning green, and I can't get it clean. It has even begun to get pitted, and it isn't anywhere near the pool. I'm going to replace it as soon as I figure out how to do it.

Good luck and enjoy the build!
Suz

This looks like a nice pool, we have salt water and travertine and only wear is from before we sealed it. If you seal right away which is tough when everyone wants to use the pool then every couple of years you should be good.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
-welcome neighbor, pearland member here aswell.

definitely get a SWG... its worth every penny....., my pool builder said he always does quotes including a SWG unless the customer requests otherwise.
we went with travertine instead of flagstone and no issues..., the price to upgrade was minimal and was totally worth it...
keep reading on this forum, there is some very knowledgable members on here.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.