Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New Build in Pearland TX

1. Back To Top    #1

New Build in Pearland TX

I have been reading this forum non-stop since I found it a few days ago. What a wealth of information!

We are scheduled for excavation on our new pool on Wednesday, so I thought maybe I should post my specs and see if anyone has any advice on equipment, layout etc. Some of the information on the agreement still feels like Greek to me! Thanks in advance for your input!

40x26', 112LF gunite pool.
    Depth goes from 3'-8' (wondering if we should increase shallow end to 3.5?).
    460 Cartridge Filter
    1.85 HP Variable Speed Filtration Pump
    2.0 HP Feature Pump
    In-Line Chlorinator
    Ozone w/Ultra UV (I'm getting the idea I don't need this?)
    Jandy 400K BTU Natural Gas Heater
    2 Jandy LED Pool Lights
    2 Skimmers
    6 Returns
    2 Main Drains
    6 Spa Returns
    2 Bubblers
    4 Spray Fins
    Cocktail Cove
    Tanning Ledge
    Waterfall
    Jump/Dive Rock

Dotson3.3_005.jpg

Dotson3.3_004.jpg

Dotson3.3_008.jpg

Dotson3.3_007.jpg

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New Build in Pearland TX

G,

Welcome to TFP... A Great resource for all new pool owners...

3' is too shallow even for the shallow end... I would do at least 3.5 and that is water depth not to the top of the coping..

Buying UV and Ozone equipment is just a waste of your money. Unless of course you don't get sunlight in Pearland..

You really need to figure out how you plan to chlorinate your pool... your options are:

1. Use the in-line chlorinator and 3" chlorine pucks, which no one here recommends
    2. Manually add Liquid Chlorine or Bleach..
    3. Add an automated Liquid Chlorine dispenser (Stenner Pump)
    4. Add a Saltwater Chlorine Generator (SWCG)

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP520 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2, added small 3 person Caldera Spa.

3. Back To Top    #3

We do get lots of sun, and after reading through posts, I am probably going to tell our PB to take that off. I was advised against salt water here in the Houston area because of the natural rock/stone that I am going to have around the pool, as well as our humid/salty air. However, now I am wondering if that is actually true- it seems like I've seen plenty of people on here from this part of TX that use SWCG...

4. Back To Top    #4

G,

I personally believe that the idea that a saltwater pool will destroy the surrounding stone/flagstone coping is somewhat of a myth, but certainly ingrained in some pool builder's minds.

A number of people have natural stone and SWCG's without any issues. The problem is really the stone itself.. Some flagstone flakes away over time. You can look at the stone and see it flaking before it is installed.

But once installed, the myth takes over and everyone believes it just has to be the salt in the pool that is causing the problem.

Let's see if we can get some of our Houston area members to chime in on their coping issues or non-issues..

Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP520 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2, added small 3 person Caldera Spa.

5. Back To Top    #5

I love my salt water pool! I highly recommend it! We have travertine and have no problems. But it's only been a year.
    Marla
    No longer living vicariously through other people's pool builds. Pool build is complete on my IG SWCG pool, approx 10,000 gallons. All Jandy equipment - VS 1.5 hp pump, 580 cartridge filter, AquaPure 1400 salt cell, AquaLink PDA system. Dolphin m500. PebbleSheen Blue Surf with shells and beads added. TF-100 w/ SpeedStir. A Houston Pool Build Inside the Loop

6. Back To Top    #6

We are in Katy which is just west of you and had a salt water pool for years. We also had flagstone and I can't tell you what it looked like when installed (bought the house with the pool) it did indeed flake/eroded quite a bit. I would guess I had to clean my filters more than the average person but that was about the only downside other than the way the flagstone itself looked obviously. The only real pain was the hot tub because the Polaris won't run in there so I'd drain it once a year and vacuum out.

Good luck and let me know who your builder is. We are looking to build also.

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

I'm in the same boat as Marla. My pool and decking are about 18 months old. Love the travertine but it's early in its life. From personal experience I agree with Jim R. Our travertine is already wearing far better than our pre-pool flagstone patio - had it 13 years and no pool. The flagstone faded, chipped, some flaking, but my biggest complaint was keeping it clean. After seeing many pictures on tfp with lovely flagstone, I have to believe my flagstone was a very low grade. For a current review of flagstone, I had a flagstone Texas star inlaid on our current patio. After a year it started turning green, and I can't get it clean. It has even begun to get pitted, and it isn't anywhere near the pool. I'm going to replace it as soon as I figure out how to do it.

Good luck and enjoy the build!
    Suz
    Suz~Cypress/Houston area~ My 2015 Pool Build. 24K gallons. IG swcg system. 35'x18'; 573sf; 104' perim; depth 4'-7'. Bubblers, sheer descents, 7' spa. Jandy; color LEDs; 2HP 2sp pump; 1HP 2sp pump; spa pump; 580 cartridge; 400K BTU; Dolphin M500; PS8; Inline chlorinator not used; Aqua Pure 1400. Blue Granite Sheen. Travertine deck. TF-100, SpeedStir

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Marlahoutex View Post
    I love my salt water pool! I highly recommend it! We have travertine and have no problems. But it's only been a year.
    Hi Marla!! I thoroughly enjoyed reading your entire build story yesterday! Your pool came together so beautifully!

9. Back To Top    #9

This looks like a nice pool, we have salt water and travertine and only wear is from before we sealed it. If you seal right away which is tough when everyone wants to use the pool then every couple of years you should be good.
    18x36 Vinyl, sports depth, 8' Roman steps at each end. Hayward 1.5hp 2speed pump, catridge filter, 2 skimmers, no main drain, 3 SR Smith Treo LED lights

10. Back To Top    #10

Welcome to TFP! That should be a very nice pool once completed. Don't forget to post pics once you get going.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

11. Back To Top    #11

Thanks!
    Marla
    No longer living vicariously through other people's pool builds. Pool build is complete on my IG SWCG pool, approx 10,000 gallons. All Jandy equipment - VS 1.5 hp pump, 580 cartridge filter, AquaPure 1400 salt cell, AquaLink PDA system. Dolphin m500. PebbleSheen Blue Surf with shells and beads added. TF-100 w/ SpeedStir. A Houston Pool Build Inside the Loop

12. Back To Top    #12

Woo Hoo!! They dug us a pool today!!

My boys waiting for the big trucks to arrive.

Getting started.

Wondering where all the water is...

Watching this crew work all day was truly impressive! My boys loved watching the Bobcat drive back and forth all day, shoveling dirt.

We are scheduled for gunite on Monday, so there will be crews here laying steel and pipe over the next couple days.

13. Back To Top    #13

I will say two things that I'd do differently with my pool.
    1. Use a SWG system
    2. Choose rock that is more resistant to SW. Use a design that keeps the natural rock bits out of the pool water.
    best regards
    Pete
    20K IG, WetEdge technology lined pool, TF100 Test Kit, CircuPool RJ60+, StaRite pump, Hayward DE filter, Hayward Navigator pool vac. Zodiac MX8 vacuum thrown in garbage.

14. Back To Top    #14

-welcome neighbor, pearland member here aswell.

definitely get a SWG... its worth every penny....., my pool builder said he always does quotes including a SWG unless the customer requests otherwise.
    we went with travertine instead of flagstone and no issues..., the price to upgrade was minimal and was totally worth it...
    keep reading on this forum, there is some very knowledgable members on here.
    2016 pool build.... 18k gal. freeform style, built in round table, 18" jumping platform, travertine coping upgrade, travertine waterline, peagravel decking, saltwater pool (no spa), Quartzscape blue., 1.5hp Pentair pump, JANDY SWG, 48sqft Pentair DE filter, TFP-100 kit w/speedstir MYPoolBuild