Pump Water From Pool

Mar 26, 2017
Naples/FL
I've only made a few posts but I've been reading this great Forum for several months now.

Our new pool is an 8x50 swim lane, sun shelf and spa. The builder didn't include a valve, like we had on the older prior pool, that allows water to be pumped out of the pool. (We're in Collier County, FL if that matters.) The calcium hardness is at 450, the upper end of the recommended range and I'd like to be prepared to remove water if we need to.

Is it still the norm for new pools to be built with a bypass that allows water to be pumped out of the pool? Or is there another approach I should take.

If you're handy, you could cut into the pump outlet pipe and install a tee and then a hose bib. That way you can connect a garden hose to it and run the excess water wherever you want.

If you're not handy, a cheap submersible pump is probably the simplest solution.

Either one will be cheaper than hiring a pool "pro" to do something.

Thanks Richard. I was also thinking that I could take the top off the cartridge filter and then let the pump run on low speed but that seems a bit crude.

So is it usual for pools to not have the drain spigot?
Yes. It's also common for the plumbing to be a convoluted rat's nest with no unions and no long straight sections to allow you to put one in later, either.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.