Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pump Water From Pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Pump Water From Pool

I've only made a few posts but I've been reading this great Forum for several months now.

Our new pool is an 8x50 swim lane, sun shelf and spa. The builder didn't include a valve, like we had on the older prior pool, that allows water to be pumped out of the pool. (We're in Collier County, FL if that matters.) The calcium hardness is at 450, the upper end of the recommended range and I'd like to be prepared to remove water if we need to.

Is it still the norm for new pools to be built with a bypass that allows water to be pumped out of the pool? Or is there another approach I should take.
    17,250 gallon plaster pool & spa, IC40 SWCG, Cartridge Filter, CYA 70-80, Boric 50 ppm, Temp~84F, Naples, FL.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pump Water From Pool

If you're handy, you could cut into the pump outlet pipe and install a tee and then a hose bib. That way you can connect a garden hose to it and run the excess water wherever you want.

If you're not handy, a cheap submersible pump is probably the simplest solution.

Either one will be cheaper than hiring a pool "pro" to do something.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks Richard. I was also thinking that I could take the top off the cartridge filter and then let the pump run on low speed but that seems a bit crude.

So is it usual for pools to not have the drain spigot?
    17,250 gallon plaster pool & spa, IC40 SWCG, Cartridge Filter, CYA 70-80, Boric 50 ppm, Temp~84F, Naples, FL.

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Naplespool View Post
    Thanks Richard. I was also thinking that I could take the top off the cartridge filter and then let the pump run on low speed but that seems a bit crude.

So is it usual for pools to not have the drain spigot?
    Yes. It's also common for the plumbing to be a convoluted rat's nest with no unions and no long straight sections to allow you to put one in later, either.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks. I'll see how this goes. I realize that we're headed toward the rainy season so I'm probably overthinking this issue.

6. Back To Top    #6

What cartridge filter do you have? It might be possible to replace the drain plug with a threaded fitting, valve, and hose adapter as I did:
    Replacing Pentair CCP drain port with a valve and hose attachment
    21000gal IG plaster, Sacramento CA area (late 1950s/early 60s)
    Filter: Cartridge, Pentair CCP420 (2014)
    Main pump: Pentair IntelliFlo VS (2015)
    Boost pump: 3/4hp (2011), Polaris 280 cleaner (unknown age)

7. Back To Top    #7

Great suggestion. I have a Pentair Clean & Clear RP 150. It seems to have a cap rather than a plug. I will look into it further.