Pool still froze, but water level on tarp exceedingly high

tlevy

Jun 3, 2015
Ottawa/Ontario
As title says, the water is still quite frozen on our winter tarp. Due to the amount of snow we had this winter, and that we are about to get 40mm of rain in Ontario, the height of water on the tarp is dangerously close to the top of the pool. Aside from pumping water as soon as I can, am I just resigned to watching this slow train wreck right before my eyes? What are the implications if the water breaches the top of the pool??

Sigh....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There really should be no implications if the water goes over the side of the pool, unless that would be bad for water flowing in any (every) direction from the pool. If you want to control where the water goes, I'd get a submersible pump and start pumping out water to where it's appropriate based on your yard/location.

It depends on what would be a "train wreck" if water started coming over the sides. Is it an above ground pool? Inground pool? Would your house get water flowing toward it from the pool?

Filling out your forum signature would certainly help answer some of these questions and others in the future...

I have no clue what 40mm is in inches, but it can be easily solved by buying a small pump, as mentioned above, and pumping the water off the cover. I have to pump off my cover many times between closing and opening. It's all part of having a pool in winter weather climates.

I have no clue what 40mm is in inches, but it can be easily solved by buying a small pump, as mentioned above, and pumping the water off the cover. I have to pump off my cover many times between closing and opening. It's all part of having a pool in winter weather climates.
+1

The water buildup should be periodically removed whenever the ice melts.

Sorry for radio silence. Not sure what happened to my signature - it used to be there!

The tarp will be pumped as soon as ice on it melts. I guess I am concerned about overflow getting into the pool water itself. We are getting more rain on thursday, so with any luck todays rain will melt the ice enough to allow me to start pumping tomorrow...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Update. I cracked a big enough piece of ice off the winter tarp, making enough room for my pump to do its thing.

By morning there should just be one big block of ice on the tarp, ready for our 1.5 inches of rain on its way tomorrow!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.