Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool still froze, but water level on tarp exceedingly high

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool still froze, but water level on tarp exceedingly high

As title says, the water is still quite frozen on our winter tarp. Due to the amount of snow we had this winter, and that we are about to get 40mm of rain in Ontario, the height of water on the tarp is dangerously close to the top of the pool. Aside from pumping water as soon as I can, am I just resigned to watching this slow train wreck right before my eyes? What are the implications if the water breaches the top of the pool??

Sigh....

20000 gallon, Vinyl liner IG, SWG, Sand Filter, Hayward 1/2HP + Lorentz direct solsr PV pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool still froze, but water level on tarp exceedingly high

There really should be no implications if the water goes over the side of the pool, unless that would be bad for water flowing in any (every) direction from the pool. If you want to control where the water goes, I'd get a submersible pump and start pumping out water to where it's appropriate based on your yard/location.

It depends on what would be a "train wreck" if water started coming over the sides. Is it an above ground pool? Inground pool? Would your house get water flowing toward it from the pool?

Filling out your forum signature would certainly help answer some of these questions and others in the future...
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

3. Back To Top    #3

I have no clue what 40mm is in inches, but it can be easily solved by buying a small pump, as mentioned above, and pumping the water off the cover. I have to pump off my cover many times between closing and opening. It's all part of having a pool in winter weather climates.
    Doughboy 12' x 20' Saphire semi-AG, Installed 2012
    Waterway 1.5 HP 2 speed, 100 sqft cartridge filter
    Aprox 7000 Gal, Full sun, 85K heat pump,
    TF-100 test kit

4. Back To Top    #4

25.4 mm to the inch, so 40 mm is somewhat over 1.5" of rain
    40 year old pool, 35k gal w/spa, gunite replastered July 2016, Hayward Sand filter, Hayward 1.5 hp single speed pump, TF-100, Kreepy Krauly suction side cleaner Dolphin M400

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by LI poolguy View Post
    I have no clue what 40mm is in inches, but it can be easily solved by buying a small pump, as mentioned above, and pumping the water off the cover. I have to pump off my cover many times between closing and opening. It's all part of having a pool in winter weather climates.
    +1

The water buildup should be periodically removed whenever the ice melts.
    Dom - TFP Guide
    Intex 18' X 48" Ultra Frame AGP 6700 gallons | Two Intex CS8110 SWG's | Hayward Pro Series 21" Sandfilter | Hayward 1.5HP Power Flo Matrix pump | Hayward Thru-wall Skimmer | Wanda the Whale | 72 sq ft of Sungrabber Solar Panels with Hayward GLC-2P-A | Taylor K2006 Test Kit, Sample Sizer & Speed Stir | Click Here To Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

Sorry for radio silence. Not sure what happened to my signature - it used to be there!

The tarp will be pumped as soon as ice on it melts. I guess I am concerned about overflow getting into the pool water itself. We are getting more rain on thursday, so with any luck todays rain will melt the ice enough to allow me to start pumping tomorrow...

20000 gallon, Vinyl liner IG, SWG, Sand Filter, Hayward 1/2HP + Lorentz direct solsr PV pump

7. Back To Top    #7

When using tapatalk, it can overwrite your normal TFP signature. Check your signature settings in Tapatalk.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir

8. Back To Top    #8

How to Drain the Water from Your Above Ground Pool - YouTube

I would keep a small piece of hose on the cover and see if it helps keep it cleared? Or just suck on the ground end briefly and lay the hose down.... that's a no-cost way to siphon the water off.

Yip
    Maddie :) 12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Skippy's Pool Cooler --> Skippy's New Fountain Our Build --> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by Sfpat View Post
    25.4 mm to the inch, so 40 mm is somewhat over 1.5" of rain
    Lol, I did terrible in elementary school when they taught us the metric system. I guess that's why they don't teach it anymore. Besides, an inch and half of water on the cover is nothing. I consider that ballast to prevent the wind from destroying the cover.
    Doughboy 12' x 20' Saphire semi-AG, Installed 2012
    Waterway 1.5 HP 2 speed, 100 sqft cartridge filter
    Aprox 7000 Gal, Full sun, 85K heat pump,
    TF-100 test kit

10. Back To Top    #10

Well that is how much rain we are getting. On the tarp, there is closer to 2 feet of ice...frozen solid....

I can't siphon because the delta on elevation is not significant enough...

11. Back To Top    #11

Update. I cracked a big enough piece of ice off the winter tarp, making enough room for my pump to do its thing.

By morning there should just be one big block of ice on the tarp, ready for our 1.5 inches of rain on its way tomorrow!

12. Back To Top    #12

Great! Nice to know you won't be flooding water where it doesn't belong when the rain comes through.

13. Back To Top    #13

Rain came and glad I pumped - it would have gone over for sure!