Do I need to SLAM?

May 14, 2015
New Orleans, LA
Hi there!

I've recently noticed a small amount of greenish algae (or what I assume to be some type of biological material) at the bottom of my pool, hovering around the center drain. The rest of the water is clear and sparkly, and this morning's levels are as follows:

FC 3.2
CC 0
pH 8
TA 100
CH 360
CYA 30ish
Salt 3300
Temp 76

I have persistently high TA, which is why my pH drifts up so much, and I add acid about every other day. These results are from before I added acid this morning. Also, I'm aware that I need to add some stabilizer to get that CYA up, I just haven't made it to get some yet this season.

If I can remember how to add some pictures I will, but since my water is clear and my CC is zero, do I really need to go through the SLAM process? Would I need to do an OCLT to be sure?

Thanks,
Chelsea

- - - Updated - - -

IMG_5474.jpg

IMG_5478.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

If it helps, I'm located in a Southeast Louisiana and my pool is in full sun. Other details in signature.

I'd go ahead and SLAM. Check FC & CC tonight after the sun stops hitting the water and check it again in the morning before the sun hits it again (pump on all night) and if it passes the OCLT then you've just had the shortest SLAM in memory.
Barney%2520Fife.jpg

Can't tell if for sure, what's on that net, but did you have a baby in the pool wearing a regular diaper rather than the ones designed for swimming? That happened to us before and the stuff from the diaper looked just like that. I slammed it on principle. lol It was only a 1 day slam, but better safe than sorry.
I'm slamming as we speak for a different reason, but like Richard320 says, "Nip It"

No babies in the pool yet this season (water temp not quite warm enough here), but I can definitely see the resemblance to diaper fluff :p Last season around this time I slammed, just to find out that it was a green pool noodle that the dogs had shredded and the foam blew back into the pool and sank to the bottom - lol! THAT was the shortest slam in history.

I'm just gonna go for it to be safe. Thanks for the advice. Oh, and I'll need to shut off the SWG overnight for the OCLT, right?

Chelsea

Yes, turn SWG off, but leave pump on. You want it to hold on it's own overnight. LOL on the dogs and the noodle. I figure if have to ask, "should I slam?" I probably should.

No babies in the pool yet this season (water temp not quite warm enough here), but I can definitely see the resemblance to diaper fluff :p Last season around this time I slammed, just to find out that it was a green pool noodle that the dogs had shredded and the foam blew back into the pool and sank to the bottom - lol! THAT was the shortest slam in history.

I'm just gonna go for it to be safe. Thanks for the advice. Oh, and I'll need to shut off the SWG overnight for the OCLT, right?

Chelsea

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.