Thoughts on new heater?

ionizer

Gold Supporter
Jun 7, 2016
Marlboro, NJ
Hi everyone, my heater is or has been on the fritz for some time. It's pretty old and probably near end of life, but also probably serviceable. It's an older Hayward, dont' have the model offhand.

I wanted to know what I could expect to pay for a new heater and installation (assuming same spot, no new significant routing/plumbing, gas or wiring.)

We really don't use the heater often and in fact haven't used it in the 3 yrs we've owned the house. However, I might consider using it if (a) I could open the pool earlier in the year and close later and (b) if it didnt cost an arm and a leg to warm the pool up occasionally.

I just bought a new variable Pentair pump last year as well as an entirely new filter, so my heater is the only "old" thing presently.

• What can I expect to pay for a long lasting heater?
  • How much does it cost roughly (I can provide gas cost if you know the formula) to raise temperature 1 degree in a 32k gallon pool?
  • Does it make sense to buy a higher end super efficient model if I only intend to use for early/late season the majority of the time?
  • Should I just try to service my existing heater and keep it going

Thanks!

First. let me say that I'm not a Pro. But have read up on this somewhat - and I have a heat pump (and a gas heater) now.
With that said, I would suggest you look at a heat pump if you just want to raise temp a few degrees and start swimming sooner. Do you have access to power (220V 40A) near the pool pad?
32,000 gallons is a big pool. I think you will need a lot of energy to heat it (if you shut off heater at night the pool will cool down again, so you either heat at night (then shut off pump/heater in the daytime) and then lose some heat during day, or heat during the day and cover pool at night, or you run the heater 24/7. The cover will save you the most $ but is a pain to deal with every night at pool closing.
Heat Pumps are very efficient. However a heatpump is more expensive than a gas heater. Figure on $2,500 to $3,000 plus installation (maybe another $500 depending on where your electrical panel is, and with the plumbing to the heater).
See Heat Pump Swimming Pool Heaters | Department of Energy

In New Jersey I am not sure a heat pump is going to let you open any earlier if you are wanting to heat the pool.

sorry, i am probably using the wrong terminology. I said heat pump, but i think i just mean "heater" as in a gas heater. I believe that heat pump may actually be a different device, but unless that was an economical solution, I was really referring to gas heaters (aka the big boxes)

A heat pump is a pool heater. They take the heat from the outside air and put it in your pool using what amounts to a central A/C unit. For your size pool you would need a big heat pump. They are very economical to run but they have draw backs.

If you have natural gas available then thats probably your best option. You could probably get a new 400kBTU gas heater installed for around 3k. Maybe more depending on who you buy the heater from. New gas heaters are around 2k online.

I just had mine replaced. $ 2,900 from a pool co I trust (went through 3 others before I found them years ago heh)

I would HIGHLY recommend you go with a Raypak. Less parts / simpler design / easier to repair and many of us here have them.

I just had mine replaced. $ 2,900 from a pool co I trust (went through 3 others before I found them years ago heh)

I would HIGHLY recommend you go with a Raypak. Less parts / simpler design / easier to repair and many of us here have them.

thanks, so it sounds like I Am looking at $3k when all is said and done..... i was hoping to be half that, but sounds like heaters cost way more than pool pumps!

so how much does it cost in natural gas (approximately) to warm a pool from say like 67 to 72 degrees? (5 degrees) assuming an air temperature in between the two and 32k gallons? Im not trying to be too specific, i just want to know does it cost like $100 each time in gas, $5? $50?

5 degrees temp rise will take about 15 therm or 1500 cubic feet of gas. Assuming you are around 10 dollars per thousand cubic feet of gas that's 15 bucks every time you warm the pool up 5 degrees. If I did the math right.

thanks, so it sounds like I Am looking at $3k when all is said and done..... i was hoping to be half that, but sounds like heaters cost way more than pool pumps!

so how much does it cost in natural gas (approximately) to warm a pool from say like 67 to 72 degrees? (5 degrees) assuming an air temperature in between the two and 32k gallons? Im not trying to be too specific, i just want to know does it cost like $100 each time in gas, $5? $50?
I bought a Raypak 400k natural gas heater with cupro nickle (for Salt pool) for $2250 delivered. They sell through dealers mostly....don't buy them online. Raypak is highly regarded around here as one of the best.
Not sure what your install would cost....depends on who you know.

Natural Gas is the way to do in your area.

Indeed. I knew I had to get a new heater eventually, it was WAY old.

What happened is I did not drain it in time during this years major snow storm, so the heat exchanger was busted from freeze damage.

They said it would cost $ 1,600 to replace the exchanger. Where an entire new Raypak heater cost $ 100 less...go figure.

The rest was for install.

Lesson learned: I'll be draining the heater and other equipment every December from now on!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'm getting a new 400k BTU gas heater installed along with my pebble surface for my pool. Quoted $2900 for the heater installed.

so if these raypak heaters are about $1500-$1900, why are the quotes for installation $2900? I mean $1000 for labor? That seems absurd. I could see if it was a brand new install, but if you are essentially swapping out a unit, maybe rejiggering a few pipes to fit, but probably spending 3 hours max, why does it cost $1k for installation?

seems crazy

im going to go to see what they quote me nearby

so pentair heaters, no good? was hoping if i got it and already have the pump i might eventually get the screen logic stuff

Any heater will work with a Pentair automation system, you don't need it to be Pentair.

Installation can be expensive if you need gas work done because, in most areas, that requires a licensed gas contractor. Also, you're paying, in part, for the warranty. Self installed units typically only have the most basic 60 day warranty.

But back it up a bit - you need to determine what size heater you have now (in BTU/hr) and what size gas pipes are feeding it. If you have a 250kBTU/hr now, your gas line may not be able to handle something as large as a 400kBTU/hr heater. Knowing that will affect the cost of installation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.