New guy Odd Pool

spdas

Jun 17, 2009
Aloha, all. I made a 8x20x 8 foot deep pool from a shipping container and now have a few questions. It is above ground and with careful welding and sealing and sealing with a "Rhino - type lining. Please take a stab at a couple of them please

1: It is 7000 gallons and since I am on solar and OFF the grid I found a waterways 1/8 HP pump that claims 2400 GPH, yet I see other 1/2 HP pumps claiming 1500 GPH and even others that are 1 hp claiming 2500 GPH. What is the difference, "pressure" at the rated output?

2: I installed a Hayward star clear plus (looks like a fire Hydrant), and it is way oversized for the pump, and it gets dirty real fast and output of the pump is dramatically reduced. Is it that the pump is too small for the system (even GH are high) and does not have enough push to go through the filter when it gets a bit dirty?

3: I draw from the bottom of the pool (at 8 foot depth) and run along horizontal 28' feet. Is this a good setup or am I loosing efficiency? Maybe put pump at the end of the pool where the suction side is 10 feet away and the discharge 28 feet away?

4: BTW, would you say I have an above ground or inground pool. (as it is a little of both)

Thanks
Francis

Sounds like it's the filter that's too small, not the pump. A larger capacity filter will stay clean longer and reduce the pressure side head, giving you better water flow in between (less frequent) cleanings.

As for plumbing efficiency, distance isn't critical. Straight lines are easy on the water flow. It's mostly the diameter of the pipe that makes a difference, followed by how tortured the path is (90's, complicated equipment, etc.).

Aloha, the filter is quite large, 120 sq ft. C1200 120 ft2 120 GPM 57,600 8 hours

The 1/8 hp pump does not put out enough pressure to indicate on the gauge. I experimented with the inlet and 2 inlet variations and you are right, it does not seem to matter. I am going to try my 3/4 hp spa pump alongside the 1/8 during sunny days to help out (have to conserve electricity as I am on Solar, off grid).
I will send a photo as soon as I figure out how.

BTW, anyone have experience with the solar plastic pool heaters that sell for about $150 on ebay, they are 2'x20 long.

Francis

Lots of people here have set those up.

The general rule is that you want 50% of your pools surface area in sq. ft. in panel area.

Since yours is 8x20 (160 sq ft) you would want to start with 2 of those 2'x20' panels. Though, since your pool is 8 feet deep all around, that increases the mass of water a bit.

The panels are easy enough to add on, so I still personally think you should start with 2 and see how it goes.

I am just installing my solar system now.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.