Pump/filter needing new.

spf30

Apr 28, 2009
Hanna City, IL
After the filter runs its course, and shuts off, the next day, all of the stuff at the bottom that didn't filter out seems to settle around the floor of the pool instead of circled into the center. The area closest to the jet is clear, but the opposite side of the pool is littered with fall out as it settles back. What is causing this and what should we be looking for when we get new equipment? Thanks.

If I'm understanding you correctly, everything is fine until the pump is off and there is no more water circulation, thereby allowing debris that didn't make it to the skimmer/filter to settle in the pool. Is that right? Certainly not uncommon, and makes sense that most would be away from the return jets. Debris settles in my pool near the deep end when that junk gets too water-logged and can't make it to the skimmer. The best thing we can do is monitor water (surface) circulation and try to get the debris skimmed before it sinks.

With new equipment, I suspect your pump will push water fine, but having an adequate number of return jets could help. You might also consider the normal direction of wind across your yard. Try to position the skimmer on the downward side where the wind blows which should help wind push surface debris into the poolside skimmer. Items that can't make it to the skimmer ultimately require vacuuming (either manual or robotic if available).

Hope that helps. If I missed the intent of your question, reply back and we'll try again. :)

Makes sense, Texas Splash. I've always debated also how the jet should be pointing...more toward the top of the surface, or toward the bottom? Is bottom facing going to push under the debris and drive it to the surface, or just push it farther down?

Is bottom facing going to push under the debris and drive it to the surface, or just push it farther down?
More than likely just push it on down the line. Water pressure from jets can only do so much against the length of a pool. But experimenting with jet angles & direction is never a bad thing. Pointed up tends to break the water surface adding slightly to aeration and increasing pH, while pointing down tends to help move some small bottom debris a little. Can't hurt to adjust and see what happens.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.