Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: should cover be removed during use?

1. Back To Top    #1

should cover be removed during use?

My husband uses the hot tub every morning. What concerns me is that he doesn't remove the cover completely. He simply folds it in half exposing half of the tub and uses it that way. What concerns if any should I have about this? Thank-you
    cher downing

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: should cover be removed during use?

The cover should be of no concern but you do need to run your chemical tests daily to ensure proper levels, with daily use they will need to be monitored if you're not doing that already.
    1) 14,500 pool/spa, 2) IG Tile, 3) Filter, Cartridge, Pentair Clean & Clear Plus M/N CCP 420
    4) Heater, Pentair Mini Max NT, Propane, 5) Pump, Pentair WhisperFlo, 2 HP rated, Service Factor 1.30
    6) Pump motor A. O. Smith 2 HP, single speed, 7) TF-100 Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

Re: should cover be removed during use?

For adults - no problem. You have to assume that they are smart enough not to try and swim around under the cover. When I'm just going to sit on the steps by myself for a while after work with a frosty beverage, I usually just fold the pool cover back a bit and have a seat - no need to take it all the way off.

For kids, I always completely remove the cover from both the pool/spa - the possibility of a child slipping or otherwise swimming under it and becoming trapped is pretty good.
    8,500gal plaster in-ground with attached spa, two floor drains, one skimmer. Chlorine, City Water.
    Pentair WhisperFlo 1hp Pump, MagnaTek Midcentury EPlus motor, Pentair CleanNClear 200SF Cartridge filter, Purex Triton MiniMax 250 Gas Heater, Pentair SunLite, AutoFill.
    Kreepy Krauly Cruiser, TF-100 with SpeedStir. :D